Railroad Line Forums - Film Photography
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Film Photography
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: March 14 Parade of Little People Topic Next Topic: Shorpy Photo Hit The Grit:c.1905  

Retro-Craft
New Hire

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  12:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro-Craft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As practical as digital is, I must ask, does anyone around still use traditional film cameras for model photography?
One of my other hobbies is collecting and using vintage cameras, and they normally see more action than my DSLR. I use a 1940's rangefinder and I'm still cutting my teeth on 4x5. I also do my own lab work for black and white (or at least used to, the film fund has been a bit tight lately). Here's a sample-

Unfortunately, the large format picture being shot there didn't work. Expired film doesn't always does what you want it to do.
Anyone else does this sort of thing around here?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  07:16:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still have my 35mm SLRs and lenses, but I haven't used the camera bodies in quite a while. I use the lenses with my DSLR sometimes (same brand). I never learned to process/print my own film and don't have a darkroom. I have thought about getting a tilt/shift lens, but not acted.

My friend Victor C., on the other hand, still uses film and shot most of a roll of slides while running his engines on my layout last month.

Edited by - jbvb on 03/19/2014 07:17:42 AM

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  10:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 2x3 Speed Graphic at one time in the past and always wanted to go 4x5. It's an interesting and fun thing. I used to have a darkroom but that has been awhile. I worked for a photo studio while in high school and we used up to 5x7 at times and the 4x5 and a big old box of film holders was often taken to weddings by the boss. In college I went 35mm and also had, still have, a Mamiya C-3 2 1/4x 2 1/4 back in a closet somewhere. I've totally converted to digital tho.

I would love to see some more of your photos.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Edited by - k9wrangler on 03/19/2014 10:01:27 AM

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  10:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I shoot allot of film but not usually for models, I have a few digital point & shoots for that. My camera collection is what keeps me form train building most of the time, I've got a collection of rangefinders as well, and am muddling my way in to 4x5 studio work too (I've been tempted to try out some miniature shots with large format because I have a view camera with 22" bellows extension so I can get pretty close!). I develop and print myself for black and white, colour film gets sent to the cheapest lab I can find. I shoot a couple of vintage Polaroids too but the film costs for those is a little much, the Fuji instant cameras are better for film cost and produce nice results.

Do you shoot other things besides trains? I've been out with my Leica IIIc (1949 vintage) ever since the weather improved, I love shooting the streets!

-Cody

Retro-Craft
New Hire

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  6:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro-Craft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
jbvb - I've always liked the idea of using older lenses on my DSLR... alas, the lenses I have are Canon, and the camera is a Nikon.

k9wrangler: I originally wanted the 2x3 Speed Graphic but I felt 4x5 is easier to come by. Haven't been able to use it much though. Mainly because I don't have an actual darkroom yet.

acousticco: Always wanted to try Fuji instant, but the backs needed for it cost more than the camera! Heh my Argus is of the same vintage as your Leica... how I'd kill for one of those.

Most of my pictures are snapshots of the old gang, but every now and then I run across something I just have to shoot -

Hands down my all time favorite picture, taken at an air show in '09, using the late lamented Kodachrome film on my '49 Argus.

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  7:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently acquired a Canon EOS M, an interchangeable lens mirrorless digital camera. Not that I needed another digital camera, but this small point and shoot sized model can accept my older Canon FD manual focus lenses with an adapter. With another adapter, I can use my current bunch of EOS autofocus lenses. It has the same 18.3MP APS size sensor as the Canon T4i DSLR, and also the same touch screen rear LCD, all in small package. So I have a whole stable of lenses I can now use. Previously the FD lenses were just a part of the older film gear I've been collecting.

With my first digital point and shoot digital ten years or so ago, digital took over my photography and I left film photography. I gave away my darkroom equipment to a local camera club, and never regretted it once.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Edited by - railphotog on 03/23/2014 7:11:45 PM

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  5:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is one nice bomber, looks to be a B-17 but wanted to ask. 40+ bombing runs. Love nose art and my dad worked on B-29's. Any way to get a high res image I can print?

Have full darkroom, Nikons, Bronica, Jobo processing set-up. Alas hard to get chemicals and all now. Shot roughly 100,000 shots in Ektachrome (spelling) Kodachrome to hard to develop. You just cant beat the resolution, especially on the 4x5 Bronica.

Now it sits waiting for someday. Replaced by D-100 and DX 2s. At least all the lenses still work (except for Bronica). Tried to Evil Bay the Bronica once, lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar.

Miss it sometimes.

Your large format looks excellent, enjoy, lots of good memories.

Thanks Cameron

Previous Topic: The Gallery: March 14 Parade of Little People Topic Next Topic: Shorpy Photo Hit The Grit:c.1905  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000