Railroad Line Forums - Piping for the Yore and Dunn Mine
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: fd ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Piping for the Yore and Dunn Mine
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Is this wood available commercially? Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.   O-SCALE CYANIDE MILL
Page: of 5

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  11:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been told that I go a little too far with some of the things I do. But, I just cannot help myself.

I am adding the machinery to the inside of the Yore and Dunn mining hoist house, so, why not add the steam and water intake system, then the air lines from the compressor, going down the shaft. I will also be adding the air supply pipe from the blower down the shaft.

Of course, this means the hoist house will have to be remodeled some, mostly rebuilding the roof and rafters, to promote being able to see all the added detail.

I am not purchasing anything new to build any of this.
I am using scrap materials I have laying around.
Brass rod, brass tubing, aluminum tubing, roofing paper, parts already in my storage bins...etc..

The first stage will be building the water intake piping system from the tank to the steam driven water pump to the boiler then into the injector.
The second stage will be to build all the steam lines going to the injector, water pump then out to the steam driven machinery, along with the exhausting pipes.
The equipment being the hoist engine, engine for driving blower and generator, and the compressor.
The third stage will be to build the air lines from the compressor, into a manifold then down the mine shaft.
The fourth and last stage will be to add the air supply pipe from the blower, out and down the shaft.

Stay tuned, I will return.

Dave HWCRR

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  11:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave that really looks good. I'll be following along with this build.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  12:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Jerry. And if you enjoy spending your hobby time getting the plumbing right, that's great.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  12:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice build and looks like some fine research put into this as well Dave. Looking forward to your progress and ideas here!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  2:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, James and Louis...thank you for your comments.
I never pay any attention to being told I get too involved. It's soooo much fun doing this.
Sometimes, I do it just to it just because...it's there and screaming out! Do this, do this!

Anyhoo, to start off. I built the water supply lines out of 3/64 o.d. brass rod. I won't go into lengths or distance between bends here. It is to go where it does for my application. So it goes for you.

Once I had all the bends where they belong, to match up with pump height and downpipe on the tower. To simulate elbows, I used small pieces
of 3/64 i.d. aluminum tube. I cut these off the stock piece with a razor blade while rolling the tube under the blade edge. It works great!
Granted, they are round, but from a slight distance and after being painted, you don't really notice.

For the valve, I used 3/64 i.d. aluminum tube and a piece of 1/16 i.d aluminum tubing telescoped over this.

Once all the trial and error is finished and everything is acc'd in place, I drill the hole for the valve stem then add the valve handle.
Then paint the whole thing.

The next step, is to fasten the injector and associated plumbing to the boiler.
These are old Cal-scale brass castings. The sight glass and gauge came with the Wiseman boiler. Also from Wiseman, was the pump.

Once I had all this in place, I then mounted the pump on a piece of wood (simulated concrete), then bent the same size brass rod to match up from the pump to the injector pipe.
Then brought the intake line from the tank into the pump.

Well, that is about it for the water lines and water side of the pump. Didnt take very long either. It is simple and made with materials, from the scrap box. Not perfect, but convincing enough.

Next, will be the steam lines.

Dave HWCRR

Edited by - HWCRR on 03/11/2014 6:09:05 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  6:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could add some pop valves and even a whistle to the dome, if you happen to have such parts in your parts bin. (I did, and I did :-) )

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  6:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input Dave. I have the pop valves for the boiler and a whistle. Just haven't added them yet. That will be last. Didn't want to take a chance on snagging them while working on the piping.
I am going to put the whistle on an extension that goes through the roof of the boiler house.
That way, it can be heard around the countryside if an emergency should arise.

Dave HWCRR

Edited by - HWCRR on 03/11/2014 6:44:29 PM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  8:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steam Lines:
These are bent the same as the water feed lines. Again, the rod size is the same as the water lines along with the tubing used for the joints.
If you do not care to make the joint pieces, it isn't really that major, as the piping is completely covered with the simulated asbestos wrap.

For that, I use a sheet of paper intended to make simulated tar paper roofing.
I just cut it into strips, then wrap the strips around the brass rodding.

I did get just a little ahead of myself on this step. First, I needed to solder a smaller piece of brass wire, to the main steam line that goes to the water pump.
For that, I used 1/64 rod.

Now, I cut strips of the paper sheet, glue one end to the piping, then begin wrapping it.

This is the most tedious part of this project.

Once the piping is all wrapped, it is test fit.

The unwrapped piece of tubing you see, will be the control valve.

Sorry, my photo lamp burned out and my pics went yellow again.
Next will be the piping going off the steam manifold to the equipment.

Dave HWCRR

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  11:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool project! Nice to see someone taking on these rarely-modeled mining details.

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  08:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the boiler placed in its home. It's not mounted permantently as of yet. I have to cut the floor out, that's under the boiler, and replace the cutout with a simulated concrete base.
This offset building was the work shop and storage area in the beginning and the boiler was in the hoist house originally.

In an effort to get rid of the yellow pics, I tried an experiment with an LED light. It sort of vaccums. So, I am going to have to invest in another expensive photo-flood.
I still have to make the drive belt from the engine to the blower and put the lift cable on the hoist drum.

The machinery is pretty much where it will permanently reside. I have placed the boiler and steam piping, so I can see where the piping for the hoist and the steam engine should be placed.
It is a bit crowded in there. Along the back wall, will be a workbench and storage bins.
The wooden support, L-block you see, is just temporary, to hold the steam manifold in proper attitude, while measurements are taken.

Now, back to it.

Dave HWCRR

Edited by - HWCRR on 03/12/2014 08:55:37 AM

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/13/2014 :  4:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now it's time to build the t's and the valves for the machinery and add them to the manifold.

For this, I used aluminum tubing and brass rod.

The valve casings are made of aluminum tubing and the steam piping is made from brass rod.

First to build is the valves. There are two of them on the inside, and a future one going to a side building that will house the compressor.

Granted, they are missing some detail, but when they are in the building and set off from the front of the layout, the lack of detail is not apparent.

To build the valves, I use three sizes of aluminum tubing. The larger piece is 3/64 I.D. and the piece that goes inside that is 5/64 O.D. x 3/64 I.D.. This makes the valve body.

The larger tubing is cut to a length of 15/64.
The smaller piece is cut to a length of 9/64.

Then the smaller piece is slid inside the other, dead center. This leaves a small shoulder on either end.

These are fastened together with just a touch of acc.
Next a 1/64 hole is drilled in the center of the assembly. This will be for the valve stem.
The small collar, where the rod goes into the valve body is of course, 1/64 brass rod. cut to length.
The rod is acc'd into the valve body, then the collar is slid down and seated on the valve body. Fasten everything with just drops of ACC.

Voila'!

Next, I needed to build a T.

That's it for now. I shall return.

Dave HWCRR

Edited by - HWCRR on 03/13/2014 4:12:58 PM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2014 :  4:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful S-B-S tutorial!! Keep it coming. I, for one, will be making use of your excellent examples and installing a piping system soon. Uhhh.... maybe I should just be up front and say I'll be copying your example.... Well done.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/13/2014 :  5:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I agree with KP all the way. I echo everything he said. I like the idea of the paper for the asbestos wrapping as well. (Another use for my paper shredder).
When I get to the power house for my roundhouse, I know where my research is going to come from.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2014 :  9:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One can never have enough pipe and fitting as well as asbestos wrap. Excellent...
Mike M

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/14/2014 :  12:51:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job on those valves!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2014 :  02:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, you do some real nice work.
Ands thanks for showing us how you did it.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Is this wood available commercially? Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.   O-SCALE CYANIDE MILL  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000