Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Single Line Diagram of Track Plan Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt Version 1.7.4.9 Available
Page: of 22

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2017 :  09:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, it all fit together very nicely. The measurments are correct. Thanks for sll your help.

Mark

W,L,&E

tomytuna
New Hire

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  05:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think I looked and admired every one of your designs. Nice work!

Tom

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  10:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I enjoy watching the designs develop and seeing the final results. I always try to picture how I would operate the more complex layouts.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  12:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom: Glad you like reviewing my designs, I have lots more to add to the thread.

Mike: I always appreciated your thoughtful feedback on my designs, it always produces a better final product.

Take care,
Rob.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  5:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
Your designs are extremely well done. It is very nice of you to share them.
ed

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  05:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

Thanks, and there are more to come.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  10:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Here's another plan for an On30 logging line. This layout was designed for a client (it is only a 1st draft) that is interested in building dioramas and mini-scenes, so he considers it to be a non-operating layout.

The owner all ready has a collection of structures to use and wanted a minimum amount of track, with an engine service area, a logging area, and a saw mill. As a bonus, I also added a waterfront scene. Everything is labeled on the plan, so it should be easy to figure it all out. The added place names are my concoctions, and weren't meant to represent any actual location.

I see the line running from the sawmill to a log reload point somewhere to the north. At the reloading site, logs come in either by truck or are loaded directly from a boom in North Lake. The reload point also serves as the supply point (via the small wharf) to all logging camps around the lake. At the sawmill end of the line, supplies come in by steamers plying Lake Sissiboo (Sis-a-boo).

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  07:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

There might be a minimum of track, but I see lots of switching opportunities. Nothing really tricky, though; you have runarounds wherever they are needed.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  1:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

I agree, the operating potential is good with the layout, but since the owner sees it as a static layout, I doubt if it will see much operating. It will be a very nice looking room size diorama thou.

Take care,
Rob.

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  2:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The switching potential is so good, this layout could be set up as a static display as if switching were occurring. And maybe just maybe the owner will actually build it to switch. >}

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  5:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If he doesn't run trains it might be converted to a rail trail.

- Mike

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  10:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy: I think the owner is pretty much set in his ways that this layout is static, but he does plan to place rolling stock on the rails.

Mike: LOL ... I think you have a point there!

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  10:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Here's a design for a small end of a branch line operation. This design is in keeping with smaller and manageable layouts that focus on more prototypical operations. The line is very generic and could be located almost anywhere. The era depicted is the 1970s with mostly 2nd generation diesels, and RDCs providing limited passenger service. Normal freight service would probably consist of two short trains per day and should keep an operating crew busy for a few hours.

Here's the design:

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  06:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is a design for a modern (1990s and after) switching layout with a lot of operation potential in a smaller L-shaped space that offers a nice mix of car traffic. The design depicts a single station, and it would be ideal if the mainline could be extended into a staging yard since more than one train may be required depending on how intense the session is operated. Also, the moves to switch all industries are not as straight forward as it looks, offering some challenges.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 05/25/2017 06:07:53 AM

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  3:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing these Rob. I love looking at what you can create in any given space!
Jeff

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Single Line Diagram of Track Plan Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt Version 1.7.4.9 Available  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000