Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SwitchWithIt Ver 1.7.3.2 Released Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Northern Designed for Ops and Expanded
Page: of 17

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  9:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

I assume those are coal mines I see at Holden and Blackridge Creek. I'd be inclined to add more trackage so that I had one for empties and one for loads. Looking at Holden that might be what you intended.

I confess, I feel more inspired by the industrial switching layout.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/01/2017 :  07:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

I had additional track at the mines for both empties and the warehouse, and I also had squeezed in a small yard at Blackridge. However, the owner felt it was too much for the very small mine scenes he had planned, so it was all removed along with some other online industries that I had included. I am not even sure how many industrial switching layouts I have designed over the years, but they were always a favourite of mine. I will be posting a few more.

Take care,
Rob.

Free Layout Design Help / Some Design Ideas (All Scales)

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  02:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob, I have a friend who is not on yhis forum that likes your plans. He needs a small yard in a 2' X 7' area. He would like to have it back up to a small town, mostly the backs of the buildings. Thanks for your help.

Mark

PS he works in HO scale modern era.

W,L,&E

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  6:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,

Here's the design for the small yard, but I hope your friend realizes that operations will be very limited in a modern yard only seven feet long. Functionality can be improved by increasing the length of the yard lead by using a drop down section added to the module. I realize the pin-wheel arrangement of turnouts in the yard ladder is a bit unusual, but I feel it gives a more flowing look to the track work, and also better utilizes the small space. (The engine house is a Pikestuff 2 door modern engine house.)

Take care,
Rob.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  6:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob, you hit the nail on the head with this design. He is going to use this with one of your designs on pg 6 0f this thread, the single station branch line switching design.

If you could swap it end for end please as he has an L shapped corner that he will be building these two designs in with this yard going on the 9' wall and the other on the 14' wall allowing a 2' corner section for the turn and connection.

He will be using this as a spin off shortline.

Mark

W,L,&E

Edited by - BBLmber on 04/11/2017 6:49:27 PM

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  7:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,

I replaced the image above with the flipped design.

Take care,
Rob.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  7:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Rob.

Mark

W,L,&E

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  6:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Mark, but it probably would have been better if you had given me all the information about what your friend had planned, and then let me design the entire layout for him. I assume the yard that I designed would be stand alone, and not part of a layout. It really should have a run around track to function as part of a layout. Give me an accurate drawing of the space, and how the "L" is oriented in the room, and I will revise both plans to better fit the space.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  6:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, I don't have what I need to give you a drawing so I will give you a description.

The back wall of the room is 14' with the L to the right side wall which is 9' to the closet bump out. The bump out wall is 3'.The wall to the left has the bed on it so is not accessible for layout.

I hope that helps, Thank You.

Mark

W,L,&E

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  6:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How wide can the shelf be on the 14' wall?

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  6:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He would like to keep them at 2' for easy reach when switching. If you need to go wider to make the corner work that's OK.

Mark

W,L,&E

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  09:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, he really likes the plan and he expressed to me another idea he has for the future. He said that he has thoughys about extending the front right corner out to go around the 3' closet wall and along in front of the door to another 9' wall that runs along the room to make an interchange with a major road like Conrail or NS.

Mark

PS: I forgot to mention that the closet is 5' accross to a corner then right along the other wall.

W,L,&E

Edited by - BBLmber on 04/22/2017 09:51:16 AM

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  09:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark,

I will see what I can do, but I have been tied up with another big project for the past week, or so and it isn't finished yet. I do have most of your friend's layout designed, but haven't had time to properly label it, and add the final touches. I will add the interchange when I get the time and post something when I get a chance.

Take care,
Rob.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  6:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob, It's not a problem as he is still preping his room.

Mark

W,L,&E

Edited by - BBLmber on 04/29/2017 12:14:38 AM

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/06/2017 :  09:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,

Here's the design for the bedroom size layout with the interchange yard added. (I hope that I got the measurements correct.)

Take care,
Rob.

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: SwitchWithIt Ver 1.7.3.2 Released Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Northern Designed for Ops and Expanded  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000