Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Single Line Diagram of Track Plan Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt Version 1.7.4.9 Available
Page: of 22

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  06:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for looking. If you need help or feedback on the deign of your layout just send me a message, or post the request on my design help thread.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  3:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Here's the latest design that I have been working on for a logging line done in On30 including a small sawmill with a log deck. The space was 2' x 14 ' with a 34" wide section at the end of the bench work. The design also includes a 12" x 10' shelf for staging. The owner enjoys scratch building and detailing mini-scenes, but wanted something manageable, so this layout should do nicely.

Here is the design:

Here are some 3D captures from the design:

Take care,
Rob.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  2:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob your ideas are interesting as usual. Are you using the same software to add the 3d structure as for the track designing?

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  2:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lynn,

Yes, I'm still using 3rd PlanIt for the 3D mock ups. I only usually do 3D work for small layout designs, since it takes so much time.

Take care,
Rob.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2016 :  09:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, you keep coming up witth designs that fit my likes and area. QUESTION, I have the Coongap sawmill wich is 29" long by 18" wide. Could you modify the plan for it? Mark

W,L,&E

Edited by - BBLmber on 11/26/2016 09:44:55 AM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/26/2016 :  6:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob: I like the way you use the 3D captures in your presentation. Very professional looking. Happy holidays. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  6:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,

I will modify the plan, but doubt if I can get a mill with a log pond to fit in the 24"-wide space. I also found a footprint for the structures which is a big help. Just give me a day or two.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  6:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

The 3D views are giving me a new perspective on my plans, and they certainly were a real eye opener for my S&LC&RyCo layout that saved me a lot of trial and error. And happy holidays to you as well.

Take care,
Rob.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  8:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob, I figured the footprint would probably need about 3' in this area. Thanks Mark

W,L,&E

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2017 :  07:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I haven't added any new designs to this thread in awhile, so I thought that I would make an update.

This is a rough draft (it still needs a lot of polish) of a design that I worked on for a client a few years ago. The client was interested in many aspects of the hobby including passenger train operations, mainline running, run thru and local traffic, online switching, and branch line operations. He also liked yard operations, but didn't want to devote the space to a big classification or division point yard.

The client wanted a layout capable of supporting all his interests, but not focus too much on one particular aspect. He was also very specific of the scenes, features and standards that the layout had to include:

-- the mainline had to be at least 30" minimum radius with #6 turnouts,
-- the branch line could have 24" minimum radius with #5 turnouts.
-- aisle width had to be at least 36", but could drop down to 30" at choke points.
-- the space could be double decked using a helix, and also include lift outs over the door on both levels,
-- the design had to include lots of staging to support a medium density of trains on the mainline,
-- an urban switching district with tall brick buildings,
-- a small engine service area,
-- a small yard that would serve as the home base for the branch line operations and drop off point for local traffic,
-- a few online passenger stations and freight houses,
-- a few big curved wood trestles with water crossings,
-- several small towns for local switching,
-- an active/live interchange with another railway,
-- the free lance line would be set somewhere in New England during the transition period.

The client was a big fan of Iain Rice's scene separating techniques using view blocks to break up the layout into several distinct mini-scenes. While I did include the these in the version I designed for the client, I eliminated them in the version I am presenting here.

The client also wanted me to only design the mainline configurations and where access to the helix and staging would be located and how everything would fit in the room (he was having problems making everything fit into the space). Since he was a 3rd PlanIt users that also like to dabble with layout design, he wanted to do the final design work for the track arrangement in each town. Of course for this version, I roughed in the towns along the right away and even added some very contrived place names to the plan.

Here is the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 03/26/2017 07:20:55 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2017 :  10:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

I like the generous length of each town's switching area, giving a very prototypical appearance. This is particularly true of Waterhill with its long sweeping curves and the trackage above it on the branchline.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2017 :  2:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

Thanks for commenting. The sweeping curves are a favourite of mine as well, but it's not a feature I get to use very often.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2017 :  3:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Anyone that is familiar with my interests will know that I have a fondness for Maine 2-footers. While the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway is my favourite (and I also have another unfinished design based on that line as well) this design is of the longest 2-footer: the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad (SR&RL).

This is another design that was a few years in the making, since I was never happy with the duck unders required on the upper level to get in as many branches as possible and make the design work. The plan laid dormant for a few years, until I rediscovered it several days ago. I decided to finish the design in the hopes that maybe somebody can get some use out of part of it.

While I didn't make an attempt to copy the locations along the line exactly, I did put some effort into doing justice to some of the key scenes. For a few scenes I did use some model's license mainly because I really don't have enough knowledge of the line to fill in a lot of the blanks. Other locations I just left as merely a mainline without any details.

Here is the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  1:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is a design that I did for a client back in 2004 (updated to my current design format) for an L-shaped layout using 18" wide shelves . It is a simple industrial switching layout set in the modern era. It should easily offer a few hours of switching fun for a single train crew, if operated prototypically.

Here is the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  6:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This On30 design was done for a client back in 2015. While the room was big (18' x 24') there were some restrictions placed how I could use it that would reduce my design options. The owner would only consider a single deck layout; he didn't want any duck unders or lift outs; there had to be a continuous run connection and staging; and there also couldn't be any bench work along the south wall with the windows. The owner also wanted 26" minimum radius, but I was able to squeeze in a minimum radius of 28". Aisle width had to be at least 30" wide (with choke points of 24" if needed) and he also wanted a 36" aisle in front of the windows, if possible. The layout was to focus on coal mining, and also some limited online customers to serve.

Here is the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Single Line Diagram of Track Plan Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt Version 1.7.4.9 Available  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000