Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Single Line Diagram of Track Plan Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt Version 1.7.4.9 Available
Page: of 22

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  11:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,
Interesting track plans. I especially like the C&K plan for the superficial reason that I've been to Cairo, ate an ice cream cone there, have a good friend who lives in nearby Harrisville, and I had a meeting at North Bend State Park right near Cairo a couple of weeks ago. The area has an interesting an early oil and gas history; many of the very earliest oil fields were discovered in Ritchie County.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/17/2016 11:53:13 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  11:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

Thanks for looking. The history of Ritchie County was actually very, very interesting, and the layout owner had written a published article on the C&K. I did a lot of searching online as well, and found some excellent photos of the locations depicted on the plan. I always find that it adds so much depth to a layout when you do a little bit of research and reading about the line.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  11:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

The owner of this layout liked my plan for the Dominion Steel & Coal Corporation (DOSCO) in the 1950s, which was presented earlier on this thread. However, he wanted the era shifted to the 1980s, when the mill was owned by the Sydney Steel Corporation (SYSCO), and he also needed the plan adapted to fit his much smaller 4' x 10' space.

Just as with the original plan, this design includes the blast furnace, the coke ovens, the import pier for the raw materials, the interchange with Canadian National Railway, and the Devco Railway (took over the Sydney & Louisburg Railway in 1968), as well as the waste disposal (slag piles) area.

In the 1980s, iron ore was still being imported from Newfoundland by boat, coal for coke came off the Devco Railway and everything else came in via Canadian National, with out-going shipments leaving by CN and by boat. While operations are more limited than the bigger DOSCO layout, switching is still interesting and varied enough to easily keep an operator busy for a few hours.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  6:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Canadian National's Sydney Sub was a secondary mainline on Cape Breton Island in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. Until 1955, the line ran about 100 miles from a ferry terminal on the western end at Point Tupper, to Sydney. In 1955, a causeway was built across the Strait of Canso, and the railway was given a direct land connection to CN's line on the mainland. At Sydney, the line interchanged with both the coal hauling Sydney and Louisburg Railway, and a railway serving the steel mill owned by the Dominion Iron and Steel Company (DISCO).

This layout depicts the last 10 miles of the Sydney Sub, from Sydney Mines to Sydney during the transition era. During that time, the Sydney and Louisburg Railway had trackage rights from Sydney Junction, to a coal preparation plant owned by Old Sydney Collieries in Sydney Mines. Since the Sydney area was the second largest industrialized centre in the province, this segment of the subdivision was home to many small rail served companies thru the years. I tried to include a lot of them, but of course some compromises had to be made.

The design is meant to fit in half of my basement, and the jut in the south wall is for access to my furnace. While I do realize a 3-level layout can be impracticable, the design is intended to be more of a way of showing what can be done in the space. If I was to build the layout, I would have to settle for just 2 of the levels.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/20/2016 :  11:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, That is a lot of railroad packed into only 10 miles! This is more like a club layout than a home layout.
I particularly like the Sydney yards. Very nice. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2016 :  12:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

Thanks for looking.

I liked the way Sydney yard came out as well, and its actually very close to how the real one was was laid out. This 10 miles of railway actually had another steel mill owned by the Nova Scotia Steel and Coal Company (SCOTIA) in Sydney Mines, and there was also a limestone quarry at Point Edward.

Also in this era, there would have been a naval base at Point Edward as well, but I decided to replace that with a few industries from the industrial park that took over the buildings after the base was closed. In later years there was rail ferry service to Newfoundland (later still, a container transfer yard) in North Sydney, which handled all traffic to that Canadian province.

Take care,
Rob.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2016 :  9:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting designs, just got an idea about an upper and lower shelf layout with Helix.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2016 :  11:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I wanted to try a small double deck layout with a continuous run option, but without a duck under. The layout also had to lean more towards great scenery, but also provided some limited operations. I wanted the layout to have a lot of bridges, a few tunnels, and several passing tracks to keep things interesting. Minimum radius was kept at 24" on the mainline, but I had to dip down to 20" on the branch. The branch can either end at a logging camp, or serve another small town. While I also kept the structures to a minimum, there could be more added if desired.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2016 :  1:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is based on the current project that I am involved with at the moment. I am still waiting for the layout owner to provide more information before designing a layout based on his ideas. While I was waiting, I decided to design my own layout for the huge space (42'6" x over 17'6") based on the little information I already had plus some additions that I like. I also modified the bench work slightly to accommodate the port facility that I wanted in my version.

The layout would be set in the years 2005 to present and it is meant strictly as a suburban industrial switching layout with lots of green space. I knew the layout owner wanted full size structures without any flats, but my version uses some flats to get a better variety of industries. I also included a crossing and interchange with another railroad which is not on the owner's current wish list.

Here's my version of the design:

To see a bigger graphic click this link: Bigger Image

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  07:39:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

The owner of this N-scale layout wanted a coal hauling line depicted during the transition era with an Appalachian touch. The mainline was to be a run around loop that included at least two towns with passing tracks for 8 to 12 cars. He wanted to see bridge and trestles scenes with at least one bridge over a roadway. If possible, he also wanted a small yard and engine facility included.

The final design consists of a continuous run loop with a passing siding, and two branch lines. Both the yard and town site are on the branches off the main loop. There is also plenty of opportunity for some nice scenes with river crossing, overhead highway bridges, along with a few tunnels and mountain scenery.

Operations of the daily local would consist of making up a train at the interchange (staging) yard, circling the loop a few times doing some switching along the way, then cutting off to the town to do more switching. The loco would be turned on the wye and return to the yard. Coal trains would operate between the yard, and the Diamond mine as turns.

Here's my version of the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  07:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I was contacted to design two switching layout. The first was to portray a modern (1990s era) industrial district with some big online industries in a space of 18" x 16'. The second was for an 18" x 12' space, and would depict the end point of a rural branch line set in the 1970s.

Here are the two designs:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  08:16:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I have always had great admiration for British modelers, and I am continuously impressed with how much they seem to do with a space, no matter how limited. Some of the scenes depicted on these small layouts are many of my favourite modeled scenes.

Over this long weekend I decided to design a UK inspired layout, and settled on a single station design located on the original 86-mile (138 km) long line of the Aberystwith and Welsh Coast Railway. This line was incorporated on July 26, 1861 and opened on July 1, 1863. In August of 1866, the line was absorbed into the Cambrian Railways, but it is still active today.

The layout is based on Aberdovey station and harbour which served the seaside resort of Aberdyfi in Gwynedd, Wales. While I did make some attempt to copy the track work, I did take some liberties, especially with the wharf area. The real harbour used small turntables to move cars between almost perpendicular tracks, and I decided to go with something less complicated. I also included industries mentioned in the history of the area that I liked.

While the design is based on a UK prototype, it could easily be used for a New England waterfront scene with a few modifications. Since I believe these smaller, more achievable designs are the future of model railroads, I think this would make a great long term project that could be very manageable.

Here is the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2016 :  08:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is a re-boot of a design that I did several months ago. The owner of this layout was planning a move, and dismantled the bench work for the first version in preparation for the relocation. However the move never materialized, and he was left to rebuild.

The new design was to occupy the same L-shape space of 8' x 12.5', but this time the owner opted for 16" wide shelves instead of 24" wide. Also in this version, we decided to widen the radius from 22" to 24" for a more generous curve.

The layout is again based on Canadian National's Kinsington Subdivision on Prince Edward Island in the 1980s. Power is provided by a single RSC-14, with rolling stock consisting of 40' and 50' boxcars with a 55' flat car being the longest freight car.

The owner wanted a team track and three or four flat buildings for potato warehouses with two to four spots for car loading. After the first draft, the owner decided to swap out one of the potato warehouses and included a ready mix company instead.

EDIT: The latest changes include the addition of a fertilizer and chemical supply company (Brockville Chemical) which receives box cars and covered hoppers. Schurman Ready Mix was also removed from the plan, and replaced with a small Gulf Oil facility that receives tank cars. One of the potato warehouses was replaced with Schurman Building Supplies, which receives lumber in box cars and on bulk head flats. I mocked it all up in 3D, and took some captures.

Here is the design:

Here are some 3D captures from the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 11/15/2016 3:03:13 PM

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  10:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob
I enjoy studying the layouts you have planned. I'm in the process of building a layout and I've gotten some nice ideas that I might be able to incorporate into my design.
Jeff

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  10:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob
I enjoy studying the layouts you have planned. I'm in the process of building a layout and I've gotten some nice ideas that I might be able to incorporate into my design.
Jeff

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Single Line Diagram of Track Plan Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt Version 1.7.4.9 Available  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000