Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Single Line Diagram of Track Plan Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt Version 1.7.4.9 Available
Page: of 22

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  09:38:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's about what I was picturing, given the length of your run-arounds.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

BMW
Section Hand

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  10:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, nice plan.
I like the amount of switching for the space you have, but still not overly crowded. The theme you are stressing thru this whole post.
As for the cassette, I think using boards will be OK but will be heavier than needed. Also wood expansion may be of issue to keep fits and gaps in control. A composite structure would be the ticket. Either a wood lattice and foam composite construction or a thin wall aluminum extrusion with a few thin wood or plastic walls and thin wood and foam base.
As for the alternative a nolix, that would rise up level to level. I think you would of tried this already, hence the cassette lift. The cassette could also be automated, level to level, and a park position higher than the entry door.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  12:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's version #2 of the Sydney & Louisburg Coal & Ry Co plan.

Changes made to Level #1: Complete redesign and down-sizing of Havenside. Increased the size of the coal export wharf, added a bit of room for car storage on the team track lead, the wye was eliminated and replaced with a turntable.

[NOTE: While it was very hard to see the design based on Keg Harbour go, the improvements in operations from the roll-around chair far outweigh the loss. I also see another big benefit of keeping the middle of the room open. I am now thinking with how infrequently I use this room as my photography studio, I could temporarily move all my living room furniture into open space and use my living room as a studio for the few hours I would need it. So this may very well turn out to be the deciding factor whether this layout gets built or not.]

Redesigned Mira Gut and eliminated some tracks. The station was moved and combined with the freight house, a separate lead to the Bait and Tackle shop was removed, a spur for the freight house was removed and the passing track was reconfigured.

Changes made to Level #2: Removed the too modern storage bins at Farmer's Feed & Seed, moved the structures at Four Star Mine and Eastside Lumber, added a water tank and also removed some trees that were blocking the view.

Changes made to Level #3: No changes.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  6:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the turntable at Havenside, but wonder whether it is in the best place. A locomotive doing a run around or switching would need to run onto the turntable frequently, which seems unprototypical. How about moving it to where you have the team track, and extend the siding to the freight house to make a team track?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  6:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

I like the turntable at Havenside, but wonder whether it is in the best place. A locomotive doing a run around or switching would need to run onto the turntable frequently, which seems unprototypical. How about moving it to where you have the team track, and extend the siding to the freight house to make a team track?

Mike

Hi Mike,

The lead for the team track would also be serving as a car storage track, so I don't think that it would be good to have to keep that track open for just the TT. I had to pick the lesser of 2 evils and having the TT at the end of the run around, seemed to be the better choice, but I could be wrong. I will look at some alternatives for the space again, or maybe Dave will have some ideas.

Take care,
Rob.

EDIT: I am looking at the design for Havenside and once the train comes into town and the loco is turned on the TT, there is really no need to runaround the train again unless there is a delivery for the warehouse. The train can be worked from the west (left) end of the yard since all turnouts are facing point.

Edited by - robchant on 04/12/2014 6:33:00 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  6:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In fact, since trains will be short, rules for the order of cars and how to use the tracks could be written such that the locomotive would only be allowed to run onto the TT for turning. The engineer would have to think about what he is doing, which is what you want. That's the whole point of your design.

You know that once we've designed your layout, not building it is not an option.

Make

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  7:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further discussions of the Sydney & Louisburg Coal & Ry Co layout will be continued on this thread:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42599

Edited by - robchant on 04/14/2014 7:34:00 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2015 :  8:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Here's another On30 layout idea I have been working on for the past few days to fit a spare bedroom.

This design is based on the Gowrie Colliery Railway that operated from about 1877 to 1894 on Cape Breton Island (Nova Scotia, Canada). This 1-mile long line ran from the coal wharf at Cow Bay (now Port Morien) on the Atlantic Ocean to the Gowrie Colliery. The railway used two 42"-gauge Hunslet 4-4-0T's for motive power with #1 (named "Lassie O'Gowrie") being purchased in 1877 and #2 (named "Blowers P. Archibald") acquired in 1879.

In 1894, the narrow gauge line and coal leases were sold to the Dominion Coal Company (DOMCO) which owned and operated the standard gauge Sydney & Louisburg Ry. It wasn't long after that the Gowrie mine and the coke ovens were closed and abandoned. Under DOMCO ownership, the line was re-gauged and extended another -mile to the S&L's mainline at Morien Jct and a new mine (the North Atlantic Colliery) was opened near the Gowrie mine.

Of course my version of history has the narrow gauge railway surviving into the early 1900s and operating the 2-miles between Morien Jct and Cow Bay. (The name of Cow Bay was officially changed to Port Morien in 1895, but I decided to retained the old name to avoid having just Port Morien, Morien and Morien Jct on the layout.) I also kept the old Gowrie mine open along with the bee hive coke ovens.

Coal and coke would still be shipped via the wharf at Cow Bay, but all in-coming freight traffic would be transferred from the S&L at Morien Jct for the few online industries. There should also be some passenger traffic between the junction and Cow Bay with a stop at the Morien station as well. Passenger trains should be schedule for shift changes for miners working at the colliery. I think the layout would provide ample operation to keep an operator busy for a few hours. So if your goal is to model a complete railway in a spare bedroom, then this might just be the answer.

Map of the 2-mile long railway from Cow Bay to Morien Jct:

Layout to fit my 12'-6" x 10'-6" spare bedroom:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  6:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Here's another layout idea I have been developing to fit a spare bedroom. The design is based on the SP-owned Visalia Electric RR that operated from about 1906 to 1992 in California. Another member of this forum actually got me interested in the line and I decide to do a bit of research on it.

After doing some research, I thought the VE would make a good line to model, so I decide to see if I could fit a reasonable amount of the railway in a bedroom without it looking too cramped. The room size is 12'6" x 10'6" and of course some compromises had to be made. I could only model the line between Exeter and Lemon Cove, but I think the layout could easily provide enough operation for 1 or 2 operators.

The line was built as an electric railway, but I am wondering if the catenary would actually get in the way of all the switching needed on the line. I have never operated an electric railway before, so I am not familiar with the problems associated with the overhead wire, or how to resolve them when switching. I think if I was to build it, I would be more comfortable using diesels and setting the date in the 1950s.

Layout to fit my 12'-6" x 10'-6" spare bedroom:

(A much bigger layout based on the line designed by Byron Henderson was also featured in Model Railroad Planning 2009 and it contained some background info on the VE if you're interested.)

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  8:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Here is a small proto-based switching layout idea designed for a friend of mine to fit his 12'6" x 6'0" room. The layout is based on Jefferson on the Sydney Sub of the Canadian National in the 1980s before the line was sold to the Cape Breton and Central Nova Scotia Railway.

Since the bench work was reused from a previous layout, I had no control over that part of the design and had to design the layout to fit the 24" wide shelves with a 24" aisle. However, the layout still offers plenty of switching action and also lots of room for scenery and some fairly decent sized structures.

While I would like to have added staging, the layout owner insisted that the 2 storage tracks were enough and planned to fiddle the cars on and off the layout. If I were to building the plan, I would consider adding a 2 or 3 track staging yard along the unused east wall.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  1:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Here is something a little different. It is a 3'x10' layout (with a staging cassette added) done in O-scale of a rail barge operation. One possible locale for the scene would be on the Canadian Pacific somewhere in British Columbia in the mid 1970s. If I was doing the layout, I would try using Proto48 standards, since I have always loved the look of Proto48 wheel-sets. I see this layout as being a good starting point for someone that wants to give Proto48 a try, or wants to practice hand laying some track, or just wants to take detailing rolling stock to the max. Since the layout was so small, I also decided to show-off some of 3rd PlanIt's 3D rendering capabilities for mocking up scenes.

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 09/04/2015 1:26:42 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  09:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I rarely get the chance to design a big city layout, so this New York Central layout was very different project for me. The owner wanted a double-tracked, folded dog-bone mainline on one level, with a continuous run and a branch line to a harbour if possible. (The body of water in the habour drops down to provide better access on that lobe.) Since the main focus for the layout was structure building, I added plenty of opportunity for structures, but also provided some local switching. I didn't bother naming the structures since they will be swapped out for the craftsmen kits the owner has already built.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  7:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This design has an interesting back story and was the result of almost a year of planning and research of the prototype Arizona Eastern Railroad. The original plan was to be built in On30, and the owner eventually decided to drop the centre peninsula and go with a layout just around three of the walls, plus the staging.

In my version, I kept the peninsula and also expanded the design around a 12' x 19'-6" room, and I also converted the plan to HO scale. The design was intentionally kept barren to represent the wide open space of the area depicted. The mainline runs from Ray Jct; thru Hayden Jct, Winkelman, and Finney; and ends at Christmas Mine. The smelter complex in on a branch line from Hayden Jct.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  8:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

The prototype Cairo and Kanawha was a very interesting little railway to say the least. The very knowledgeable owner of this design provided me with a great deal of back ground information to help me come up with this track plan, which is as close as possible to the real locations as practical in the given space. One thing you will notice is that there are no run-arounds at either end of the line, as trains were turned on the wyes. In Cairo, the wye is so small that only one loco and car can fit at a time, so turning a train there will be very interesting. This design is done in On30 and required a 4.0% grade to get to the 2nd level, which line's Climax locos can handle.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  9:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is a small switching layout based partly on Canadian National's Kingston Sub on Prince Edward Island, Canada. While the layout doesn't occupy a lot of space, it should provide enough operational interest to keep an operators busy for a few hours.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Single Line Diagram of Track Plan Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt Version 1.7.4.9 Available  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000