Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SwitchWithIt Ver 1.7.3.2 Released Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Northern Designed for Ops and Expanded
Page: of 17

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  10:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Yes, I like the balance between scenery and track in your plans. I also like how you avoid a lot of hidden track, tricky or gimmicky trackwork, and other tipoffs that the goal is not modeling a railroad, but rather fitting in lots of track.

Mike

(Good golly, this one got me a star. Must be coming up in the world, or spending too much time on the internet!)

That is one of my pet peeves: all the extra track that is not needed in a plan. I think most people just add too much track without even know why they added it.

BTW: Congrats on the star!

Free Layout Design Help / Some Design Ideas (All Scales)

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  4:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any interest in continuing to post more layout designs? Or should I quit now while I'm ahead?

goldrush
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  10:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I for one would like to see more. I'm in the process of figuring out what I want on my On30 layout and need to see ideas until something strikes my fancy.
Gary

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  03:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although lurking, I find that this series of posts is very interesting. Personnally I would be happy if you kept on posting new ideas.
I particularly love the waterfront plans.

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  04:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob,
Finding the plans always interesting to browse over (I think a lot of model railroaders are probably suckers for wanting to keep looking over different plans). Would be good to perhaps get other members trackplans up for viewing as well, and continue to brew this as a good ideas source to keep comoing back too. Entire layouts may not suit or interest everyone, but certain elements are bound to give plenty of good ideas that may lead to more suitable plans.

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  06:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goldrush

I for one would like to see more. I'm in the process of figuring out what I want on my On30 layout and need to see ideas until something strikes my fancy.
Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply. Why don't you tell me the size of your railway room and the type of modeling you like, and I will custom design a layout for you?

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  06:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fredric and Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Great idea to open the thread for other designs as well Dan. If someone has other designs to add to this thread, please post them.

Take care,
Rob.

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  11:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rob
My layout is still in progress not "never completed". While there's alot of selective compression w/ my plan, it Is representative of the LAJ. Trying to cram about 30 miles of a real RR i 10' x 14' room will tend to do that. LOL

You've taken some liberties w/ the switching leads & yards that aren't close to LAJ's physical plant. The LAJ Fruitland & ATSF Vernon Teams are literally right next to each other in the same city block. The LAJ turntable was off a spur from the engine house tracks. My modules are 2' wide so the A Yard & Malabar yards could be wider. One of my original plans had the peninsulas coming off the A Yard like your plan but in thinking about it working the yard would be a big pain having to always walk around them.

Being retired & on a limited income don't know about building a 2nd level. Besides most of my modules are built chest high. Guess the legs could be shortened to add a 2nd level though.

Like your idea of a "Manual Train Elevator". But by manual to you mean it has to be moved by hand? It seems it wouldn't have been too hard to put them one over the other & have some type of mechanical elevator.

Download Attachment: LAJ PLAN 2-14-14.jpg
149.57 KB

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  12:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an aerial map showing the LAJ Ry in mostly in Vernon CA. This should give everyone a better idea of the LAJ's "layout". ;)

Download Attachment: LAJ MAP-AERIAL (K JOHNSON C SLATER A JACKSON).jpg
85.85 KB

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  12:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cajon

Rob
My layout is still in progress not "never completed". While there's alot of selective compression w/ my plan, it Is representative of the LAJ. Trying to cram about 30 miles of a real RR i 10' x 14' room will tend to do that. LOL

You've taken some liberties w/ the switching leads & yards that aren't close to LAJ's physical plant. The LAJ Fruitland & ATSF Vernon Teams are literally right next to each other in the same city block. The LAJ turntable was off a spur from the engine house tracks. My modules are 2' wide so the A Yard & Malabar yards could be wider. One of my original plans had the peninsulas coming off the A Yard like your plan but in thinking about it working the yard would be a big pain having to always walk around them.

Being retired & on a limited income don't know about building a 2nd level. Besides most of my modules are built chest high. Guess the legs could be shortened to add a 2nd level though.

Like your idea of a "Manual Train Elevator". But by manual to you mean it has to be moved by hand? It seems it wouldn't have been too hard to put them one over the other & have some type of mechanical elevator.

Hi Andy,

Good to finally hear from you. When I said the layout was not completed, I mean the design I did wasn't completed. As I mentioned, I never finished the plan and what was there, I still considered a rough draft. I needed for someone that really knew the LAJ to look at the design and tell me what needed to be fixed.

Take care,
Rob.

goldrush
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  12:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

quote:
Originally posted by goldrush

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply. Why don't you tell me the size of your railway room and the type of modeling you like, and I will custom design a layout for you?

Take care,
Rob.

Collin Loo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  11:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob,

I thoroughly enjoy all the layout plans. Please keep them coming.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  1:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I look in and comment occasionally. I'm in the scenery phase of building my home layout, so I'm long past asking for help myself.

goldrush
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  2:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will take you up on your kind offer Rob. Give me a few days and I will email you a drawing of my room and what ideas I have.
Gary

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  9:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think anyone that has an eye for modern day railroading will certainly remember Eric Brooman's Utah Belt as an outstanding example of it. His layout was certainly a landmark for me since the January 1986 issue was the first Model Railroader magazine I purchased which included an article on his layout. As a layout designer, I was always quite impressed at the amount of layout Eric was able to squeeze into his relatively modest space using 30" radius curves.

Several years ago I was also asked to do the same thing for a member of another forum I was participating on at the time. The givens and druthers for the layout were pretty much the same standards that Eric used for his first Utah Belt, which was basically what the layout owner wanted to see in his basement.

While the space was comparable to Eric's layout room, I was also given the additional challenge of having a stairway and a furnace room eating up much of the space to begin with. The owner also insisted on 30" radius turns, a small yard, at least 3 passing tracks, staging, a continuous run option, some local online industries, and a few big mines.

I knew from the start there would have to be compromises to get all that in the space. I knew the 30" radius was going to take up a lot of space, and aisle width might have to be sacrificed a bit. I also knew there was no way to design the layout without using some lift-outs and removal sections of benchwork and without those compromises, there was no way to get everything to fit. After a few very frustrating design sessions, the final plan shown below emerged.

Edited by - robchant on 04/09/2014 09:16:23 AM

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: SwitchWithIt Ver 1.7.3.2 Released Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Northern Designed for Ops and Expanded  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000