Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Single Line Diagram of Track Plan Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt Version 1.7.4.9 Available
Page: of 22

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2014 :  7:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This layout has quite the story behind it and it was the start of my long distance friendship with Bob McCord of California. This plan was a collaboration between Bob and I and took several months of intense emailing to make any progress.

Bob's premise for the fictional railroad was a logging line set in the Bayfield County of Wisconsin with a small port city on Lake Superior. The layout was meant to be a showcase for Bob's collection of scratch built and craftsmen models and much of the design time was mocking up CAD drawings of his structures to add to the plan.

Only the lower deck was ever finalize and just after Bob started building, a career change and a move ended the layout's short life. Bob had plans to eventually resurrect the design, but I recently heard that he passed away.

While going thru my old layout files, I discovered the unfinished plan. I knew some of Bob's ideas for completing the 2nd deck, but as I said, nothing was ever finalized. So using the ideas we discussed all those years ago, I finally finished the design. I also culled a lot of the structures and associated track work to make the design more generic. The one craftmen kit I left was the BTS McCabe Slatyfork Sawmill complex which was to be the focus of the layout.

Bob also wanted a waterfall scene somewhere in the plan and a lot of wooden trestles and some nice eye catching scenes to model. We also opted for a switchback to reach the second deck, instead of a helix. Although this is a stripped down version of the design, it would provide a nice setting for someone with an intense interest in logging.

Edited by - robchant on 04/09/2014 09:14:40 AM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2014 :  7:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cajon

Rob
Really like your Keg Harbor & Saco River Ry plan. Really like seeing On30 at the MR shows, especially when switching!

Hi Andy,

Thanks. Did you ever make any progress on your layout?

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  7:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a designed that started as a layout for another member of this forum. His goal was to have brachline operations with a continuous run option. The layout was also to be a home for several large dioramas that he had already built. I reworked the plan to represent a New England branch line or as an alternative, the continuous run option could also lead to a few staging loops under the centre peninsula for some thru traffic. Whatever option you choose, the plan has lots of opportunity for some great scenes and large structures.

Edited by - robchant on 04/09/2014 09:14:55 AM

BMW
Section Hand

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  12:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
Greetings from the bannana belt,a few km's from as far south in Canada as you can go. When I look North I see the USA.
Found this thread today and if you are still interested in helping, I'm interested in working thru the process online. When I get home tonight I will pull a few photos of the layout concept and a few of the key features I with to incorporate into my layout. The goal is to model the Dolly Varden thru the 30's as if she keep on growing (slowly) and expanded to connect to the outside world.
2014-03-11 ~ BMWorks

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  12:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BMW

Rob,
Greetings from the bannana belt,a few km's from as far south in Canada as you can go. When I look North I see the USA.
Found this thread today and if you are still interested in helping, I'm interested in working thru the process online. When I get home tonight I will pull a few photos of the layout concept and a few of the key features I with to incorporate into my layout. The goal is to model the Dolly Varden thru the 30's as if she keep on growing (slowly) and expanded to connect to the outside world.
2014-03-11 ~ BMWorks

Hi Brad,

Sounds like an interesting project and I am very willing to help. However, I would rather keep this thread clear of other design work, so you can either start another thread or use this other thread I have on here:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40946

Take care,
Rob.

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  4:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you make a switch with the software is it a fixed number (like a #6) or will it allow to superimpose a curve
on a straight section of track and print a template out? I've never used any track planning software.

Bill

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  4:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hokie_tech

When you make a switch with the software is it a fixed number (like a #6) or will it allow to superimpose a curve
on a straight section of track and print a template out? I've never used any track planning software.

Hi Bill,

I only use the pre-made turnouts in the library included with 3rd PlanIt, but I do remember seeing add-on software (by a 3rd party) that will allow you to make custom turnouts to add to the library. Once the turnout is added to 3rd PlanIt's library, it can be printed fullsize or used when designing layouts.

Take care,
Rob

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  4:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, thanks for the extremely quick reply. I thought that was probably the case.

Bill

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  8:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was just designed for another member of this forum. The layout owner had a ship building and waterfront theme in mind done in On30. The space was a bit confined, but we still squeezed in a few mores industries and still left some room for a few nice scenes and some scenery.

Edited by - robchant on 04/09/2014 09:18:48 AM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  2:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This LA Junction Ry layout was started for a member of this forum but never completed. I was given enough information to finish a smaller version of the layout, but I expanded the area modeled and I didn't have enough information to fill in all the details. Since I don't know anything about the railway in the timeframe depicted (transition era) I chose to leave the unknown areas incomplete.

I also never received any feedback on this plan which I still only consider a first draft, so I am not even sure if what I have in place is accurate for the line. I am hoping maybe someone with knowledge of the line will have a look at the design and offer some suggestions for improving it and filling in the blank spots for me.

As designed, the layout is quite packed with a lot of operations in a small area and as already mentioned, there are also areas on both decks that haven't been fully utilized yet. Most of the building would be flats or aisle side customers, so not much space is devoted to structures. The builder could opt to build either deck alone and still have plenty of action to keep them busy. With a one deck configuration the manual train elevator would simply act as a staging cassette for bringing car on and off the layout.

If one deck doesn't provide enough action, you might want to consider adding the second deck and using the staging cassette both as staging and for moving trains between decks. To be honest I don't think I would consider adding a second deck unless you had more space available and could expand all the aisle ways at least another foot, which would require a room about 12' x 16'. I just don't think there would be enough rooms for the needed operators with 2-foot wide aisles and a double deck arrangement.

Edited by - robchant on 04/09/2014 09:15:25 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  7:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is potential for a lot of switching on just the lower level; it could keep several people busy for quite a while if they operated at prototypical speeds and allowed time for the human element, i.e. time for the switchman to walk from place to place etc. I agree that the second level is not needed at all.

Are the blue lines view blocks? Are they needed?

Nice designs you come up with; a variety of locales and operational potential.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  8:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

There is potential for a lot of switching on just the lower level; it could keep several people busy for quite a while if they operated at prototypical speeds and allowed time for the human element, i.e. time for the switchman to walk from place to place etc. I agree that the second level is not needed at all.

Are the blue lines view blocks? Are they needed?

Nice designs you come up with; a variety of locales and operational potential.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, the blue lines are backdrops and they would probably be needed since most of the buildings on the leads are just flats.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  8:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have done quite a few small switching layouts over the years. Generally I try to keep them simple and uncongested with room for some scenery and fullsize structures.

Edited by - robchant on 04/09/2014 09:15:42 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  9:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I like the balance between scenery and track in your plans. I also like how you avoid a lot of hidden track, tricky or gimmicky trackwork, and other tipoffs that the goal is not modeling a railroad, but rather fitting in lots of track.

Mike

(Good golly, this one got me a star. Must be coming up in the world, or spending too much time on the internet!)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 03/17/2014 9:36:46 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  10:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was contacted by a member of this forum asking if I could do a 4'x8' layout for him. I was surprised when he said that he wanted to focus more on operations than running a train around a loop. He was also quite adamant that he didn't want any grades, water or bridges. My first step was to look online for some other 4x8 plans and I found one that this design is based on. I did simplify the mainline and interchange tracks a bit and also added a bit more switching opportunities. I also added the tree ridge to separate the layout into 2 distinct scenes. I think it would be fun to operate while providing some some room for scenery and structures.

Edited by - robchant on 02/06/2018 6:04:21 PM

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Single Line Diagram of Track Plan Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt Version 1.7.4.9 Available  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000