Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SwitchWithIt Ver 1.7.3.2 Released Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Northern Designed for Ops and Expanded
Page: of 17

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  2:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Hi Bob,

Glad you like the design of the Coldwater Habour layout, I will see if I can fit it in your space. Do you have room for a staging cassette?

Take care,
Rob.

Thanks Rob, This is an extension of my existing layout. Trains will enter from the left on the 14" arm.

Bob

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  2:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

This is the reduced version of Coldwater Habour. I wasn't sure if you hand laid track or not, so I went with commercial #5 turnouts. The minimum radius of 24" is on the team track lead, and the run around tracks have a radius of 33"/35". I had to reconfigure the wharves a bit for the space, but I assume you already knew there would be changes coming. I was actually surprised how well this turned out, since I didn't have that much optimism when you posted.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Free Layout Design Help / Some Design Ideas (All Scales)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  4:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob!! I like it a lot. You made a good assumption using the #5 turnouts as I do hand lay stub turnouts. I will put a turntable where the coal yard is and I will use a 3-way in the yard throat. But your plan gives me everything I need to generate traffic in a extremely pleasing scene. This will allow me to remove some clutter from my main layout.

Thank you.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  7:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

A member of the forum liked my plans for my Soo Line layout, and also the N-scale design set in the prairies. He wanted an end of branch line station that depicted a prairie town with a grain elevator and other agriculture related industries. He didn't want to deal with duck unders or lift outs, so the plan is a bit unusual. However, it does provide some deep scenes that wouldn't be possible on narrow shelves.

Here's the design:

This is the last of the small projects I had to complete this week, but there are still a few bigger layout designs still in the works.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  7:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

Glad you liked it. And good luck with your layout! Do you have a thread on here so I can watch your progress?

Take care,
Rob.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  7:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Bob,

Glad you liked it. And good luck with your layout! Do you have a thread on here so I can watch your progress?

Take care,
Rob.

I'm here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37052

I'm currently building a couple of engines.

Thanks again

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  10:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Bob,

This is the reduced version of Coldwater Habour. I wasn't sure if you hand laid track or not, so I went with commercial #5 turnouts. The minimum radius of 24" is on the team track lead, and the run around tracks have a radius of 33"/35". I had to reconfigure the wharves a bit for the space, but I assume you already knew there would be changes coming. I was actually surprised how well this turned out, since I didn't have that much optimism when you posted.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Hi Rob, Very Neat Design this one. I like the water against the backdrop for a change. Not something i have considered before bu it would make the photo backdrop easy to add.
And secon to that i have thought about larger schonner ships in the foreground and worry about damage from switching the layout ect

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  04:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BOB: I didn't realize that was your layout. I was subscribed to your thread a long time ago, but I don't seem to be now. I am back in the audience.

ADRIAN: I think as long as the wharves and ships are close enough to the wall to mask the joint between the modeled water and backdrop, that this should work out fairly well. I had also mocked up a scene in 3D for my layout with schooners parked out front, and knew it would be a problem, and the masts would be too easily damaged on a working layout.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/30/2017 :  12:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I was asked to design a medium sized steam and diesel engine terminal that was suitable as both a standalone module, and also could be made a part of a future layout. The owner wanted the corner design as compacted as possible, and was hoping for something about 12 foot long, although I could use up to 16 feet if needed. The terminal had to include at least a six stall round house, a three track diesel shop, and a car shop. The client also wanted as much support facilities as possible. The final design was 15 foot long, and I was able to squeeze everything in without making it looked too cramped.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2017 :  01:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yet another fantastic design. Im starting to think we need an index at the start of this thread?

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/30/2017 :  11:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Adrian,

Glad you liked the design for the engine terminal. And thanks for the idea about adding an index, it has been added to the first page. (There are 71 designs on here so far ...)

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/30/2017 :  8:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Another Industrial Switching Layout (ISL) I did for myself earlier this month.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/02/2017 :  09:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

The owner of this design didn't really have one prototype in mind, instead, he wanted a generic layout with a few big online mines that would allow him to run whatever he liked, but mostly coal drags. The layout had to have a staging yard, an interchange with another railway, and also allowances for continuous running. He didn't have an exact location in mind, but he mentioned somewhere around West Virginia as a possibility. While his main interest was coal traffic, he also wanted some thru manifest freights, and limited local traffic, such as pulpwood and incoming supplies for the mines. I am calling this the Western Maryland, and traffic of course consists of mainly coal. Other traffic, such as outgoing pulpwood, is handled on the team tracks, supplies are delivered directly to the mining warehouses, and both coal and freight are interchanged with the connecting railway. While the owner was using Peco medium turnouts, they seems too sharp for me in the plan, so I substituted them with #6s.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  09:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I had to mock up a cannery for a module that I am working on, and decided that I may as well upload the drawing to this thread in the off chance that someone else may want to build it. The building was drawn full size, so the dimensions are actual size, and you will have to convert to your scale. I am just giving a rough idea of the sizes, since no doubt you will want to make chances to the design. I am also including individual close-ups of windows and doors, so you will have a better idea of their sizes as well.

Fishermen offload their catch to a scowl in the harbour, and a conveyor moves the fish up to the second story for processing. This was done so the plant could operate during both high and low tide. Canned fish is shipped out thru the shipping area doors. One of the track side doors on the main building could be used as a warehouse to store incoming supplies.

Here is the Cannery:

Doors and Windows (green squares are 12", grey squares are 2"):

If anyone wants to build this, and needs other measurements, please let me know. If there is any interest in seeing these building designs, I will post others as they are mocked up.

Take care,
Rob.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2017 :  5:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob;
The N scale Western Maryland is really good.
L&N nut
Jon

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: SwitchWithIt Ver 1.7.3.2 Released Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Northern Designed for Ops and Expanded  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000