Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: Gary Hannibal ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Layout Design SIG Journal Status Topic Next Topic: Free Design Help
Page: of 22

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  03:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jon,

I did a bit of background checking on the line, and it certainly would be a
very interesting prototype to model, and I would be willing to have a go at
designing a layout based on the line. However, if you want an accurate
representation of the line, you will have to provide track charts/diagrams/maps
from the locations and era you want to model (my designs are only as good as
the information I have available, and photos of the line just aren't enough).
You also need to specify the scale you want to model in, and give me an idea
of the footprint for the layout. Since I know nothing about the line, you will
also have to be my "go-to guy" for any questions I need answered.

Take care,
Rob.

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  07:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

That track plan is AWESOME. I am always amazed at how fast you turn things around. I know you've said doing this stuff is one way you enjoy the hobby but man, I certainly didn't expect to see something like that in a single evening. You know can actually work on YOUR railroad too LOL.

I particularly like the interchange through the backdrop. I certainly eliminates off layout staging; the interchanges basically become the staging. I think it's a bit crowded and loses a bit of the out in the open feel of the N scale layout its based off of, but given the location of Ontario versus Alberta the types of industries represented make it so.

John

John Martin
Tega Cay, SC

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  12:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

If you feel the plan is overcrowded you really don't have to add all industries shown, or you can set the layout in an earlier era and model just small industries. Since I all ready did a prairie line, I didn't want to use that theme for this one as well (I also knew that I would need some big structures to hide the tracks thru the backdrop.) The N-scale layout also had more width available (it would be 5' x 12' if scaled to HO) than this HO version, so a HO layout 5' x 20' would look less cluttered.

Take care,
Rob.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  12:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob;
Thanks for the reply.
1. You will have to provide track charts: Sent an email with attached
pdf track chart files to robchant64@gmail.com .
2. specify the scale you want to model in: N scale
3. foot print of the layout: Since this is just for fun lets go with
N Scale Free-mo

http://free-mon.wesleysteiner.com/

http://free-mon.wesleysteiner.com/Free-moNEndplate.png

http://free-mon.wesleysteiner.com/FreemoNStandards.pdf
Its my understanding of free-mo that a person can have any shape or size in a set of modules as long as the end plates at each end meet the standard interface. So it seems to me that the modules should give lots of flexibility to your planning for maximum creativity. I have not seen photos of free-mo modules with well integrated mountain scenery so I am not sure about that.

I will try to answer any other questions in a timely manner.
L&N nut Jon

Edited by - LandNnut on 08/02/2017 12:48:45 PM

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  12:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,
The era is 1943-4. See post on the bottom of page 13.
Thanks;
L&N nut Jon

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  1:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jon,

While I have no problem using Free-mo standards if that's what you want to use, I do want you to realize that almost 75% of creative layout design comes from how well a designer fills a space with the bench work. I don't want to sound boastful, but I feel how to best and creatively use a space is one of my strongest design traits when doing layouts. In my mind using a modular system pretty much drops that creativity to almost zero, and the results may not be what you expect. I also get the same feeling when I have to design a track plan for a space when the bench work is all ready built and in place. Most times I see that the layout owner could have much better use of the space, if the bench work had been designed differently.

Take care,
Rob.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  3:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob;
My only other ideas are an around the walls shelf layout going around the outside walls and through the walls of three bed rooms or a shed or cargo container or mobile home.
L&N nut Jon

Edited by - LandNnut on 08/02/2017 3:59:18 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  3:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jon,

(I just sent you this email.)

I am viewing the line on Google Earth right now, and how can't get over how beautiful the scenery is along the route. It really must be quite spectacular in person.

I decided that I will do at least 2 separate layouts. I will do one with the Free-moN modules, and I will do one how I will model the line in a room. It won't be all that much extra work once I know the details of the line. (I want to do a design from Etowah to Blue Ridge.)

My next step it to convert the track charts to a schematic on the line, and you can help me fill in the details.

Take care,
Rob.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  4:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob;
I have been sending you map files from a different email address because the first email address would not attach the map files.
L&N nut
Jon

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  8:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is my version of the San Fernando Orphan Spur operated by Pacific Electric in the 1950s. I found a few references to the line when I was doing research for the Visalia Electric RR layout back in 2015 (see page 5). If you want more information about the spur, a quick Google search will return a few sources.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2017 :  11:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is another modern ISL done for a client back in 2014. He wanted a prototypically track arrangement that serve four or five big industries, and capable of supporting a good variety of car types. There is no building for the lumber yard, it is simply an area surrounded by a chain link fence. The scrap yard should have a small office building and scale, and an area surrounded by a wooden fence. The transload area should have hook-ups for unloading centre flow hoppers of bulk cement.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 08/05/2017 11:32:45 AM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  7:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

The last couple of days have been very busy, and I now have a few projects on the go besides the L&N Hiwassee Loop layout. Most of them are small, but the one I am most excited about is a 2,200 sq. ft. S-scale design based on the D&RGW. This is new territory for me, so I am looking forward to it.

If any of you want to see an astounding prototype line, go to Google Earth (Google Maps doesn't do it justice) and search for Antonito, Colorado, and follow the tracks to the south west. This is the San Juan extension of the D&RGW which now operates as the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR from Antonito to Chama, NM. It is simply amazing.

I finished one of the smaller project today. The client wanted a single station sea port layout with schooners and steamers. He was mostly interested in passenger traffic, but also wanted a few industries to switch. The design had to fit in a 10'6" x 12'6" room that also has a work bench and lots of room for storage under the layout. He also hand lays his track, so I wasn't limited by commercial turnouts, which made for some very nice flowing track work. (I wish I had the time to mock this up in 3D, but it will have to wait.)

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  11:33:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
The C&T is amazing and we're so lucky to have it preserved and operating.
I really like your Coldwater Harbour Design.
Especially the set up of the docks. I know you're rather busy but I would like to give you a challenge. Could you fit this design to my available space?

I don't need a engine house, can do with just one spur for the passenger depot (which can be on the Wharf)and need one run-around track 32" long.
I model in HO std gauge set in the 1880's.

If you have the time,

Thank you.

Edited by - railman28 on 08/27/2017 11:35:42 AM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  12:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I was contacted to do a modern industrial switching layout (ISL) for a 13' x 15' room. But instead of cramming the space with a lot of industrial tracks, I convinced the layout owner to go with more of a branch line feel that offer I good variety of car types, and some nice scenery. I keep the track work simple and straight forward, and provided two interchanges for staging. Although the client just wanted a generic layout and would decide on the locations later, I added some place names and identified the railways.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  12:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

Glad you like the design of the Coldwater Habour layout, I will see if I can fit it in your space. Do you have room for a staging cassette?

Take care,
Rob.

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Layout Design SIG Journal Status Topic Next Topic: Free Design Help  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000