Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SwitchWithIt Ver 1.7.3.2 Released Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Northern Designed for Ops and Expanded
Page: of 17

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  11:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Scott,

I added the elevations and grades for just the mainline, so look back on page 11 again. The track down to staging should be on a 2% grade to get as much clearance as possible.

Take care,
Rob.

Free Layout Design Help / Some Design Ideas (All Scales)

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  7:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

( Sorry for the length of this intro, but this design needs some explaining. )

This design was part of a double deck N-scale layout using hollow core doors,
done for a member of another railway group in 2010. The upper deck represented
an unrelated coal mining branch in British Columbia, and was a very simple
design. The upper deck/door was supported by sides made of " plywood, and the
backdrop of the lower deck. I am only presenting the more interesting lower
deck here, but I may post the coal mining branch at a later date.

The lower deck is the home of the fictional Central Alberta Railway. It was
inspired by an article in Model Railroader [June 1988, page 80] by Greg Panas
titled "The Northeastern Alberta Rys." In the article, Greg does a good
job of explaining how to operate a small continuous run layout more realistically,
and get the most out of an operating session.

This layout expands on that idea, and represents a short line railway running
north-south between the Canadian National and Canadian Pacific railways. It is
set in the mid-1990s when CN and CP were selling off marginal lines in Alberta,
and the rest of Canada. Each side of the layout represent three separate stations,
so there are six stations in the following order (south to north):

1. MANN LAKE (engine house, station, CP Interchange)
2. DAKOTA (grain elevator #1)
3. ETHRIDGE (farm equipment dealer, lumber company)
4. RICHTON (fertilizer company, propane dealer)
5. BURNS (grain elevator #2)
6. PARADISE (farmer's co-op, team track, station, CN interchage)

All crews start their day in Mann Lake, and head north (clockwise) towards Paradise.
While each station has a passing track, only the trackage/industries designated for
the station (above) can be used when switching the town. Between each stop at a
station, the crew makes a complete lap around the layout.

When the north bound train reaches the last stop of Paradise, the crew works the CN
interchange and the local industries, then heads back (counter-clockwise) to Mann
Lake. Any work that may have been skipped because it required a run-around move
(modern days crews avoid run around moves as much as possible) must be done on the
return trip.

This layout packs a lot of prototypical operation in a space that is only 30" x 78",
by using just your imagination and "seeing" only what your suppose to see at each
station. It is a great way to get the most out of small layouts with continuous run
designs.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 07/26/2017 7:48:05 PM

ed k
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  8:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, An other winner.
ed

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  01:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Interesting concept and operating scheme. I'm going to look up that article; I might have read it when it came out but I was just re-entering the hobby so it might not have appealed to me at the time.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  11:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ED: Thanks for looking.

MIKE: There have been a lot of good articles in MR over the years about operating small layouts. "How to operate a small layout realistically" by Jim Kelly [November 1992, page 128] was another very good example that is a worthwhile read. I think if more people looked into realistic operations, they would get a lot more out of their layouts (both small or big).

Take care,
Rob.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  1:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Thank you for the suggested further reading.

I agree with your observation. It's something many of us have learned over time.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  4:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

I wasn't implying that you needed to brush up on operations ... I know you have taken operations to heart. The suggestion was meant for anyone else that would like to see more about operating a small layout.

BTW: I know you rebuilt you layout ... do you have an up-to-date track plan?

Take care,
Rob.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  6:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

I understood you weren't implying anything.

My new layout design has settled down enough I think I could draw a meaningful plan. I am away from home right now but I can add it to my list.

Mike

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/30/2017 :  04:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Here are a few more small switching layouts.

I don't have a lot of information on the first since it wasn't labeled properly (a problem I have with many of my older design), and I can't really recall the details (a problem with older me). I think the originally was meant to be narrow gauge and depicted in plant switching in a steel mill setting. Anyway, I made it standard gauge and just added some generic structures. While the turnouts can be ready made #4s and a #3 wye, the two crossings will have to be hand laid to get the most out of the space. Any motive power used will have to be shorter than 7", since that is the length of the tail track at the left end of the run around.

Here's the design:

This next plan was original done in On30, and depicts an end of line terminal. The owner wanted a few industries to switch, along with a station for passenger operations, and a small car barn with 9" turntable. The measurements are in metric, and convert to about 24" x 66". The types of industries on the pan where not specified.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  07:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

That Central Alberta Railway in N scale above is a great plan. I had never considered the idea of splitting up a scene into 3 separate towns like that since I had never read that article from Greg Panas back in that issue of MR. It really does stretch a small layout into something far larger. I think the same thing could be done for an HO layout. You've done a few designs for me already and all were wonderful, but I'm left with a nagging feeling that something is missing for me. I've been operating on a local layout for a few months now and I think that the whole travel between towns things does it for me. While the layout I operate on is quite large (600' of mainline or so) I think a layout using the CAR above as a basis would offer a lot of operating potential.

Let's look at a layout 4' wide and 20' long. That is approximately 40LF of mainline when running through each scene once. If the layout was fed from a staging yard with each side of the layout comprising 3 distinct "towns" like you did on the CAR, with a complete lap between towns, you are looking at approximately 60LF of mainline run between EACH town. That is about 300LF of total mainline run for the entire layout if town 1 is reached right after leaving staging. That is SIGNIFICANT. If you were modeling a branchline that only sees a couple trains a day you could keep a single crew busy for multiple operating sessions at scale speeds. For someone like me that is like winning a lottery. I think with enough forethought that 2 crews could work the line at the same time, but I feel a single train would be the best course of action with a morning and afternoon turn where the engineer and conductor swap places for the next turn.

I think you need to take a shot at doing a layout like the CAR but in HO. Again, 4' wide and 20' long with a backdrop down the middle. I think what you come up with will be spectacular.

John Martin
Tega Cay, SC

Edited by - jmartin on 08/01/2017 08:05:24 AM

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  1:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

I will see what I can do, but I want to clarify something. The idea of the "three towns per side" didn't originate in Greg Panas' article (he only talked about how to operate a small layout prototypically), it was something I thought of adding to the layout. It was what I meant by when I said this layout expands on Greg's idea for how to operate a small layout. I am really not sure if this means of operating a small layout was done before I came up with the idea or not. I can't not recall reading any article, but would like to know if anyone has read it somewhere before.

Take care,
Rob

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  1:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh. I didn't gather that when I read it. Regardless, the idea you have laid out is quite remarkable and really expands the layout significantly. Something along those same lines in HO would make for one heck of a layout with a very long mainline run. I find it easy to only see what you need to on each town. Others may have difficulty though. I've considered a yard before that reflects the same thought to represent 2 different yards but hadn't considered towns the same way. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

John Martin
Tega Cay, SC

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  7:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

(As requested, this layout uses the same premise as the N-scale Central Alberta Railway above, but this
time in HO scale.)

The Central Ontario Railway (CORY) is a fictional regional short line carrier operating in the province of
Ontario. The line runs north-south between the Canadian National and Canadian Pacific railways. It is set
in the mid-1990s when CN and CP were selling off marginal lines across Canada. Each side of the layout
represent three separate stations, so there are six stations in the following order (south to north):

1. WESTON (station, engine house, yard, CP mainline and interchange)
2. BARRETT (plastic bag manufacturer, industrial supply company, feed mill)
3. HARMONY (lumber yard, transload track, paper mill warehouse)
4. FERGUS (oil dealer, propane dealer, pulpwood dealer)
5. PAYNE (synthetic rope manufacturer, ready mix company, fertilizer company)
6. RICHARDSON (chemical plant, station, farmer's co-op, frozen food distributor, CN mainline and
interchange tracks)

All crews start their day in Weston where they first assemble any outbound cars from the previous day
and shove them into the outbound interchange track for CP to pick up. The crew then pulls any inbound
traffic from the other interchange tracks, takes them back to the yard where they are sorted in proper
order for delivery along the line.

After the cars are properly blocked, the crew assembles the north bound train on the passing siding.
Once the train is ready for departure, it leaves Weston and heads north (clockwise) towards Richardson.
While each station along the route has a passing track, only the trackage/industries designated for each
station (shown above) can be used when switching the town. Between each stop at a station, the crew
makes a complete lap around the layout.

When the north bound train reaches the last stop of Richardson, the crew works the CN interchange and
the local industries, then heads back (counter-clockwise) to Weston. Any work that may have been
skipped because it required a run-around move (modern days crews avoid run around moves as much as
possible) must be done on the return trip.

As you can see, the CP/CN interchange is an "in/out" live interchange, so outbound traffic to the CP will
become inbound traffic from CN, and vice versa. Staging for each operating session continually resets
itself, so you will never run out of inbound traffic.

(NOTE: I didn't have to time complete the scenery details on this layout tonight, that will have to wait
for another time.)

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  10:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob;
Are you interested in designing a layout just for fun? I don't see myself
completing a layout, but I am interested in seeing what you can do with my
favorite piece of prototype railroad. RR-Line links:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18923&whichpage=1

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18505

For a prototype photo scroll down about half way on this one:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32874

Thanks L&N nut Jon

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  11:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Era is 1943-4. Steam engines are L&N 2-8-0s: H-29, H-29A, 2-8-2s: Light
Mikados, J-3, Heavy Mikados, J-4, 4-6-2 Passenger engines: K-4, 4-8-2
Light Mountain Passenger engines: L-1.
Outbound freight consists of sulfuric acid tank cars and other products
and raw materials from the copper mines around Copperhill TN, pulpwood,
forest, and agricultural products. Inbound freight is products for the
miners and small towns in the area and all kinds of dam building and
construction supplies-concrete, special gravel, steel work etc.

Page: of 17 Previous Topic: SwitchWithIt Ver 1.7.3.2 Released Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Northern Designed for Ops and Expanded  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000