Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 137 ]  [ Total: 139 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Page Viewing Size? Topic Next Topic: Off-Spots
Page: of 22

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  11:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Send me the links via my email address (robchant64@gmail.com). I am having problems accessing them.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  8:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi rob, Sorry had the wrong link address. Fixed Now.

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  04:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Adrian,

I am kind of surprised that the Yacolt Branch is still active, since there didn't seem to be much on the line from what was shown in the PDF. There seemed to be a few abandoned spur lines to gravel pits and logging operations, but not too many towns. However, since you said "I just dont know if the branch would offer enough interest in operations for me." I assume you know all that. It could serve as the basis for a freelance logging line, but you might have to add quite a bit to make your layout interesting to operate. You would have to decide how far to take that.

Take care,
Rob.

otiscnj
Section Hand

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  06:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

FWIW, I never had much luck with 3rd Planit, but of course, I have used the old Abracadata/TheLiquidAteHer 3D RR Concept and Design software, since about 1999. Planit seems open ended, in terms of what it could do, which I found to be a blessing and a curse.

I like your designs. I've been working on my Philly & Scranton, concept, which has a threat here, for several years now, and really haven't made much progress, if you want a challenge. I'm focusing on from Reading to Scranton, portion of it, but with some portions of Philly such as Reading Terminal, and the PRR concrete viaduct going into Mannyunk. Any thoughts you might have in terms of the trackplan/design suggestions, I'd welcome. Feel free to PM me. Carl/Otis

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  1:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl,

Do you have a thread with more information on your layout, and the prototype? I would be willing to help if I had enough information to offer suggestions.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2017 :  09:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I have been (slowly) making my way thru some old layout designs, and bringing them to my current design standards. Right now, I am concentrating on smaller designs that are based on a single station, or will fit in a small bedroom. I also have a lot of switching layouts in my collection, so if that's your thing, you should find plenty of ideas in my upcoming posts.

This first design was done for a client back in 2014 that only had limited space for a layout, but wanted something that could keep him busy for an hour or so. I introduced him to switching using way-bills and switch lists, and he was quite happy with the layout for the few months it was in operation. The layout didn't progress any further than bare plywood and mocked up structures, but the owners learned a lot about prototypical operations, and plans to continue that on his next layout.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2017 :  11:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is another small switching layout that I designed in 2014. The client originally wanted it to fit a 12" x 48" shelf in a book case, but I couldn't get the tail tracks long enough for a locomotive (B&M SW-1) and one 40-foot freight car, so I had to add an extra 12" to the length. I went with a timesaver track plan, with an additional track for staging/interchange. The industries depicted allow for coal hoppers, box cars, and covered hoppers to be switched.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2017 :  2:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

As a rule I dislike island style layouts because I believe the space can be better utilized when also taking the access requirements into consideration. So I try to convince my clients that they should consider other options for the room, which usually is an around the walls type layout. However, my persuasion has not always been successful over the years, and some clients still insist on an island style layout.

I was approached earlier this year to design a simple layout for a 4'x8' sheet of plywood using Atlas track components. The owner's list of must-haves included an engine terminal, a small yard, a coal mine, and a long steel trestle which really wasn't a lot to ask from the space. He didn't want any grades, and also wanted sincere scenes. He even sent along an N-scale design that he had found on the internet that he wanted to use, so things seemed very simple for me. However, the N-scale design didn't adapt very well to his space, so we had to go with the design shown below:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2017 :  6:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is an adaptation of a design I did back in May of this year. The original design used 18" radius curves, #4 turnouts, and had a lot more track and industries. While trying to find a suitable design for use with my Soo Line RS-1s, I came across this plan and converted it to a more prototypical looking design using #6 turnouts, and 20" minimum radius. Town sites are kept very simple on purpose, but more track and industries could easily be added for additional car spotting.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2017 :  9:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This design is based on AT&SF's San Jacinto District, but by no means it is meant to be a match for the line. I have been aware of this branch line since reading "The San Jacinto District: An HO switching railroad for a 9 x 12-foot room," by Andy Sperandeo in Model Railroader [February 1980, page 107]. There have also been many other layouts based on Andy's design as well, and they can easily be found with a Google image search.

My design was started in September of 2015, and I had hoped to get more accurate track diagrams for the entire line, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the Internet about it. Even Google maps was of little help to determine the track arrangements from the period modeled. Without additional information, I decided to just use Andy's version, which he also stated was not an accurate representation of the line.

As shown by the title of the MR article, Andy's design was also more of a switching layout, and used mostly #4 turnouts, and 18" radius curves. I wanted to give my version more of a branch line feel, and decided on 30" minimum radius, and #6 turnouts. To fit it all in a bedroom, I went with three levels and used an elevator to get between the decks with each deck using 20"-wide shelves. There is also a staging deck below Perris that represents Highgrove.

Besides not having accurate information, other compromises had to be made as well, such as the Perris station being on a curve. I also added a roundhouse at San Jacinto that wasn't in Andy's plan. From looking at Google maps, there seems to have been a wye there, so even the turntable could be out of place.

There are enough online industries to make this a moderately busy branch line that should be fun to operate. Since I had more room to work with, I added a few more online customers than Andy has in his plan. The industrial area at Hemet, will take up much of a crew's time, and also provide more variety of rolling stock besides refers. Overall, I think it is a nice plan that will keep the owner occupied for a long time.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  04:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is based on a design that I did for a friend back in 2009. I had to reconfigure the plan to fit a 10'-6" x 12'-6" room, but it is very close to the original. The owner wanted a point-to-point mainline with some staging, a good variety of online industries, and space for a large coal mine. He wanted to use Atlas sectional track with a 22" curves, and #4 turnouts (I also used a 30 crossing).

Even with the limits of Atlas sectional track, it really wasn't much problem getting all that in. The final design has a good selection of industries, and I gave my suggestions for some of them. While the mine is large, I think the coal traffic will have to be down played a bit since there is really not enough staging for a lot of coal trains. Of course this could be corrected if there was more room for staging.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 07/25/2017 05:42:24 AM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  12:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is a plan for a single station 2' x 12' module in On30 with a western theme that I designed back in 2014 for myself. The hardest part was fitting in the 15" turntable required to turn the locomotives (a D&RGW K-28 is shown on the plan). After placing the TT and the station, I then squeezed in as many industries as I could, trying to keep it as simple as possible. I ended up with a good mix of freight cars, and also a place to store a passenger car from the mix train while the industries are being switched. (The size of the combine may be a bit off since I didn't have any narrow gauge passenger cars available, so I had to resize a Canadian National standard gauge car as a fill in.) The plan would also require some sort of staging yard off the right end to make it all work.

Here's the design:

And a few 3D screen captures:

Take care,
Rob.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  03:29:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob. You sure are talented coming up with all the different track plans. Your graphics are very clear and precise.
And you have freely helped out many people here at the Forum.

I see plenty of designs I could use, so many choices.
Thanks for all your work.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  10:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the kind words, and I am glad you're getting something out of the designs. I have lots more to post, so you will have plenty of options. I was really starting to think that I am boring people, since I haven't had anyone comment in a while. So thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

Take care,
Rob.

Scottr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  10:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob I have taken a liking to your Landow and Redwater Soo line track plan. I am just having trouble figuring out the elevations needed to get the height needed at entrance to staging at Landow to fit under Redwater. Is the whole mainline on an around the room grade of 2% or am I missing something here? I realize the staging can be on a grade but does the tracks that connect to staging at Landow need to be 3" to 4" lower then Redwater so the tracks can go underneath?

Scott Reid

Scott Reid
Mesabi Division
Great Northern

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Page Viewing Size? Topic Next Topic: Off-Spots  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000