Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Free Design Help
Page: of 22

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  11:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John. The design was based on Andy's concept drawings, and the additional information he provided. He had some well thought out ideas for the space, so it came together rather quickly.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  3:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

Just wanted you to know that I started the 3D view of your layout today, but still have a way to go before its finished (I still have to do the supporting bench work, water level, backdrops, redo the roads, fix the terrain, paint some buildings, and add bigger trees). However, I figured that I would tease you just a little bit ...

3D View of the Sissiboo Lumber & Railway Co:

Take care,
Rob.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  8:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Rob,
Tease me all you want. Now if I could get my...Maybe it's best I don't go there.
John Martin, a forum member asked me to send him my list of HO kits for sale. He is debating between HO and ON30. I said check out Rob's designs, space is never an issue even in On30. Turns out he is very familiar with your work, and was very complimentary. I had to laugh when he how fast you do them. I'm like, no kidding, dude. He even mentioned my (your) design by name and praised it. Very cool.
Thank you very much. I am grateful.
ed

usaf_andy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  10:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit usaf_andy's Homepage  Send usaf_andy an AOL message  Send usaf_andy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rob, You really knocked it out of the park.

John, all I have to do, is to move a book shelf, and I have the rest of the space. Its just a matter of doing it. I am starting to assemble a list of what I will need to get going, everything from structures to the number of turnouts I need to assemble. Now if only I could balance work and school on top of everything... lol

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  09:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

(This layout has a bit of a backstory, so forgive me for the lengthy intro.)

In exchange for my layout design services, a client offer to send me something that I
still needed for my On30 layout. But since I have all the motive power, rolling stock,
and track that I need, I thank him for the generous offer, and thought that was the end
of it. However, he insisted that he compensate me from my time, and the result was
three(!) HO scale RS-1's (my favourite loco design) with DCC and sound onboard.

I have always wanted to do a layout using RS-1's painted in Canadian National's green
and yellow scheme (my favourite paint scheme) that was used on their RS-3's. But since
CN didn't own any RS-1's, I decided that the only way I could make it plausible was if
I modeled a fictitious subsidiary line. Of course the RS-1s would have to be repainted
in CN colours, since they were in Soo Line red and gold livery.

The layout would be set in transition period (I might even run some steam), and
passenger service would be provided by RDC's. I wanted at least 30" minimum radius
for visible track, and the plan had to include enough staging to keep the line busy.
After seeing Kumar Desai's work on his two small modules, I also wanted to try hand
laying some track this time.

Since my dining room is dedicated to the On30 layout, I only had my spare bedroom left
for a HO layout. I started looking for a suitable track plan that focused on branch
line operations, and that also had a very good prototype feel to it. I found a few
layouts that I designed years ago that would be a good starting point for what I wanted,
so that is where I began.

While this first attempt at a design came together very nicely, I feel it is a bit
too much for the layout I had in mind for the CN owned branch line (unless I can find
a suitable similar location). So, I decide to make it a Soo Line branch line layout
instead with a mid-west theme, and a live interchange with a crossing road. There
should be enough operations on this layout to keep two train crews active for an
ops-session, and even more staging could be added if necessary.

Here's the design:

Elevations and Grade for Mainline:

As for the CN theme, I will be looking at other designs, and upload them here as developed.

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 07/26/2017 11:14:26 AM

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  1:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another good plan Rob! But would it be easier to work staging if it were up along front edge vs back edge?

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  2:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,

For me it is necessary that the staging be against the wall as shown in the design. My spare bedroom has a sloping ceiling
on one wall so I would have to build the layout low with roll around access in a chair, if I want full use of the room. So I
need the extra leg room under the bench work.

Take care,
Rob.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2017 :  5:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is like the bunny.
ed

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  7:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

While looking for a suitable layout for my RS-1s (see previous post for details), I came across a track
diagram for Upper Musquodoboit (MUSS-ka-DAH-bit). Upper Musquodoboit is a forestry and farming
community that lies in Nova Scotia's Musquodoboit Valley. The village was served by Canadian National ,
and was the last station on a branch line to nowhere (why the line was built is a long story that I won't
go into right now.) It was home to a station, a wye, two public sidings, and a limestone mine (only the
company's warehouse was served by rail).

Looking at the track diagram (see link below to view) I thought it would make an excellent single station
plan that could easily be adapted for my small bedroom. I see pulpwood as being the main outbound
commodity, while supplies for the limestone mine, and farming supplies and equipment would be the
biggest inbound goods. Of course, there would only be one train per day, but a single operation session
could encompass three (or more) days.

Here's the design:

Upper Musquodoboit Track Diagram

While I am still not sure if this is the plan I will use for the RS-1s in the CN paint scheme, I feel that
I am getting closer to what I want.

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 07/09/2017 7:36:33 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  9:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I have to say that I am really, really, really enjoying designing these small, one station, single deck
designs. The sheer simplicity of the layouts make the thoughts of building (and maintaining) them seem
so much easier and straight forward. I also see a lot more scenery potential with some nice wide open
spaces, and it still offers lots of operating potential.

I used roughly the same design for this, as I did for the Upper Musquodoboit layout, plus ideas from my
Keg Harbour & Saco River design. This main layout features only nine turnouts (with two more in
staging), but that is more than enough to keep a crew busy for a few hours. I see three train per day
with two being mixed, and the third dedicated to mainly coal traffic. While the design may look simple,
operating it is not as clear-cut as it may seem at first glance.

Overall, I think that I could be quite content with just this as my On30 S&LC&RyCo layout, considering that I
am now also planning a HO scale layout as well.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  05:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is a 1st draft of a design I did back in May for a member on this forum wanting a small layout set in
the 1880s. While he eventually went with a different layout after adding a bit more to the space, I
thought this was actually a better version, if the staging cassette could be added. It packs a lot of railway
in a space only 30" x 60". I learned after this draft that the turntable could be reduced to 8", since that's
all that would be required for the locomotives of the era.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  2:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh boy. Can I hear an amen?
ed

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  7:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really like the Canadian National plan. It reminds me of Port Rowan 1:64 scale line http://themodelrailwayshow.com/cn1950s/

Some interesting ideas on running a layout of that size and reasons for and against a small simple design.

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  9:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Adrian,

I have been following Trevor's blog for the last few years now, and we both have the same thoughts when it
comes to layouts. His "Achievable Layouts" posts are also some of my favourites, and have provided me with
lots of inspiration. I think these smaller layouts that mimic an actual location are the future of layout
design.

Take care,
Rob.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  11:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes i stumbled across the wealth of blog information on similar approaches in the past few months while i look towards my own 20' x 10' double deck. I have a design i was about 99% confident with until i started following these blogs!

Although a freelance logging modeler i have found them fantastic to inspire operations on realistic roads.

One that spikes my interest is the NP Yacolt Branch The NPRHA have the tile plats available for the whole line. Its an interesting simple line that leads into the option of freelanced logging. I just dont know if the bracnh as is would offer enough interest in oporations for me.

Take a look at the tile plats and also have a look at the NPRHA for other northern pacific divisions. fantastic to hunt down these destinations

Yacolt Branch - is still in operation as a short line road - might be worth a look at for some people

www.nprha.org/TacomaDivTitlePlats/np%20t.p.vanc-yacolt.pdf

Other maps ect for NP divisions
http://www.nprha.org/Pages/Right-of-Way-Structures.aspx#Maps

Modeling the Northern Pacific Yacolt Branch
https://yacoltbranch.blogspot.com.au/

Edited by - adrian_batey on 07/12/2017 8:17:28 PM

Page: of 22 Topic Next Topic: Free Design Help  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000