Railroad Line Forums - Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Some Design Ideas (All Scales - Index on Page #1)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Free Design Help
Page: of 22

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  3:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,

Glad you like my ideas, and thanks for looking.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  6:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This design was originally created in 2003, but I updated it to my current design standards. It was loosely based on an 18" x 10' switching layout that (IIRC) John Armstrong had designed using Atlas snap track components. John's design also used an Atlas turntable as part of the run around, and crammed a lot of railroad into the small space. (I think it was called the Southside Connecting RR, and I have no doubt quite a few modelers remember the design I am referring to.) My version has a bigger footprint, and doesn't crammed as much track into the space. However, I still think it has plenty to offer a lone operator.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  5:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, ed keen want to thank Rob Chant on the forum (I have thanked him by email) for the incredible job he did with his design of my layout the Sissiboo Lumber & Railway Co.. I will keep the name, as I can not come up with a better one, but manly it's out of respect for him. I could call it The Robert Zimmerman Nobel Rail Line. But that would just be stupid.
I find what Rob has done for so many to be way beyond the love of doing it. I told him to take his time so he did. Three days. What the hell does he do when rushed?
Rob, thank you brother, you are one in a million.
Now that I have gone to the dark side. I have a ton of HO kits for sale. Check it out. You know where to look.
ed keen (engine 909)

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  04:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

You are truly welcome, and I am glad you're happy with the design. It came together very nicely, and it is actually one of my current favourites. As I mentioned, I also started mocking it up in 3D, and will post some captures when finished.

Take care,
Rob.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  1:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
I would be overwhelmed if you did my layout in 3D. You bring me great joy my friend.
The last time I had this feeling was when Penn States Vincenzo Joseph (freshman) shocked the wrestling world by pinning senior Isaiah (IMar) Martinez of Illinois in the NCAA championship. It blew the lid of the Scottrade Center, in St. Louis. 20k fans going crazy. Well except fans of IMar. Next year I will be in Cleveland. High school and college wrestling, one of the few pure sports left. Penn State rules.
So does this forum and it's members.
ed (engine 909)

usaf_andy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/16/2017 :  3:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit usaf_andy's Homepage  Send usaf_andy an AOL message  Send usaf_andy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rob,
Can I email you a rough sketch of what I would like to do, and see if you can improve it? I am doing On30 loosely based off of the SP narrow gauge in the Owens Valley and Eastern Sierra region of California. I have an idea in my head, but I have been having trouble getting it out on paper and being realistic about what can fit. Thanks in advance.
Andrew Gillette
Sumter, SC

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/16/2017 :  4:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy,
I look forward to seeing what Rob designs for you. I believe you will be very happy with the results. Rob fits more On30 layout in a given space than you can imagine.
ed

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/16/2017 :  7:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy: I sent you an email.

Ed: Thanks again for your support.

usaf_andy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/23/2017 :  9:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit usaf_andy's Homepage  Send usaf_andy an AOL message  Send usaf_andy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Replied, thank you! I don't always get on the computer on work days. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  10:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

One of the designs I am working on this week for another member of this forum. I will steal the description of the layout from the one provided by the owner:

"The Bishop Creek and Sierra is a fictional narrow gauge line that connected to the Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge line outside of Bishop, CA and worked its way up into the mountains to service the mines and communities located there. Freight would be ore and some lumber outbound mostly and general merchandise inbound to serve the mountain communities and mines. The line takes heavy influence from the SP narrow gauge and the Virginia & Truckee. "

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  7:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He did it again sports fans. Brilliant as always. I keep looking and you did deliver.
So much in a 9x20 space.
ed

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  8:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Ed, still lots more to come.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  8:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

This is a design I did over a month ago based on the 36"-gauge Nevada County Narrow Gauge RR running about 23 miles north from Colfax to Nevada City. I found an insurance evaluation map of Nevada City online, and first wanted to do only a "one station" layout based on just that location. With the help of another member of this forum (thanks Kevin), I was able to expand the design to include a good rendition of Grass Valley as well. While I took a few liberties with the design, overall I think it is a good representation of both locations. There are a few turnouts in Grass Valley that must be hand laid to fit the curving main line, but the rest are #6s. There is also a 4-track staging yard loop that will store the 3-4 mixed trains needed per day.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 06/29/2017 11:27:05 PM

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  10:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
They are a joy to look at. Each one is so creative and different. I hope the builder of this one is skilled at making trees. It would be so cool to see the layouts when they are done.
ed

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  08:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man Rob,

I have to say I am as always impressed with your ability to plan a layout. That one for Andy above is a keeper for sure. Could keep a couple operators busy for a couple hours for sure. Its the sort of layout that would be enjoyable to run with an operating loader and and dumper at the coal bin on the high line. Add in the 8 industry locations on the lower level and it's a lot of fun.

Andy,

I didn't know your space was that big? Last time I was there I didn't think you had 20' in length to work with. That layout plan looks good. What I like about the track plan is it could be adapted to any number of locations easily and would look just as good as an eastern mining town somewhere.

Ed,

That Nevada County Narrow gauge would suck up a LOT of trees. Thousands actually LOL I wouldn't mind seeing that as a shelf style layout on 2 decks.

John Martin
Tega Cay, SC

Page: of 22 Topic Next Topic: Free Design Help  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000