Railroad Line Forums - Battery power and radio control
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Dead Rail Forum
 Battery power and radio control
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead Rail Society Web Site Is Live Topic Next Topic: Understanding LiPo Batteries
Page: of 3

on2rails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  6:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit on2rails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I have done the deed. I will not be worried about cleaning the track on the layout at train shows anymore.

If you like the video great, if not, cool too
Just thought some might enjoy what I recently learned about battery power and radio control.

on my youtube channel at
http://youtu.be/6WdpCiD5fiY
Joey Ricard - West Virginia, USA

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  7:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great vid, Joey.

Cheers, Heath.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  7:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  9:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great video Joey.

Mark

W,L,&E

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  10:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great video! Steve is a very creative guy…I like how he approached issues such as using reed switches to activate the receiver, and the hidden power jacks for the batteries. Dead rail in a Davenport 0-4-0…didn't know it was possible. My biggest question - and concern - before walking away from a DCC investment: how well do the motors operate on battery power vs. highly tweaked DCC? I don't want to lose the terrific motor control improvement that DCC provides over straight DC through the rails. Any comment on how your little Porter creeps when switching, compared to DCC?

There you go, Joey…you went and woke me up from my modeling slump. Thanks for the inspiration, amigo. I was proud to be the first to 'Like' your video on YouTube, there will no doubt be many more!

mdrailbaron
Section Hand

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  10:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening,
In regards to your question about motors, you don't have to tweak them and secondly you can creep a loco right up to the coupler face.
Steve and I operate each others railroad and both of us are using the Del Tang system and have had a minimal amount of problems with the system. We have been amazed at David's product line and his very quick response time to either questions or sales, not sure if he doesn't sleep at his computer.
Steve and I have started an East Coast Dead Rail information group, though I freely admit Steve knows a lot more about the specs of the product and I know a fair amount about the installs.
The message that we would like to get across is a simple one: "Battery R/C is just another tool to have fun with while operating your railroad. The beauty of this system is just how easy it is to install and use and how cost effective it is when compared to DCC. For the most part it can be installed in the smallest of On30 locos. I have installed Del Tang in a Casey Jones On30 rail bus up to a four wheeled O standard gauge switcher.
Should you like to have further discussion or gather more information on the "how to's" or purchasing please feel free to write me at: traindadders@gmail.com and I will try to help you through the process.
Steve Fisher

on2rails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  08:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit on2rails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mr Fisher, I have been dying to get down to your layout but I haven't been able to work out the timing. I will one of these days so I hope you can put up with me when I get there.

I have to admit, that until messing with Steve's (Sherrill) I never really gave battery or radio any thought, but I will make it clear to everyone reading this that I had times with those little Porters and Davenports where I could almost pull my hair out, especially with the sound decoders. I had installed and even built the tenders with added pick ups. My curves on the mini are so tight that the little locos acted like a cheap kitchen table (you know how it seems that only 2 of the 4 legs are touching the ground) and you have to put a magazine under one of the legs?.....Ha Ha, I am sure you get what I mean.

So, I welcome this battery power for now and I can't wait to mess with the batch that Steve has completed.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  09:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Verne, after seeing Steve's layout and him operating several trains with this system I can say that there is good control and they could still pull a nice sized train.

Mark

W,L,&E

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  10:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey thanks for making and posting the video about Dead Rail.

As many of you are aware I have converted my railroad to the Tam Valley system (dead rail). I wanted to keep the sound in my locos and the directional lighting which Tam Valley supports. I use a 11.1 V lipo battery to provide power. I am running 2 Heislers and a 0-4-0 Porter.

Verne: Control and speed of the loco is dead on and very smooth.

Have a look at all the systems out there. One day you might be running trains on "dead rail".

Tom M.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  11:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to Del Tang and Tam Valley, there is CVP http://www.cvpusa.com/index.phpwhich uses your current DCC sound module.
And Stanton S-Cab http://www.s-cab.com/price-list.htmlwhich also uses sound decoders.

As we are currently in the house moving phase I won't get to work on a layout until late this year but will consider one of the systems with sound.
Not sure which one yet. But I'm NOT going to spend time wiring up track!

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  6:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey,

I wish I had known you were having trouble with the Porters. I was doing a demo of one with sound and Keep Alive at the West Virginia meet. I have operated on The large layout Steve F has with both my Keep Alive and his BPRC. Both worked very well. I like the adjustable momentum on his Deltang system. You can get extremely fine speed control.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  12:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the video Joey and Steve.
And thanks too to everyone that has added to the topic.

Since I don't have a layout yet and haven't installed any DCC decoders either, this may very well be a much better option for me when I do build a small layout.

on2rails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  2:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit on2rails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to say that I really had not even considered battery/radio until seeing Steves layout time and time again run so smoothly. I really didn't know much about radio other than what I read here and there and on some of the podcasts.

Reg, I should have said in regards to the porters in general, but the trouble with them, and the tight curves and the ability for it to stay electrically connected. This of that kitchen table that won't sit flat. For this I didn't do much in the way of actually operating the mini layout. Now I can. I still have DCC, sure, but for the mini layout this is just too easy to ignore. Simple & easy.

Also, for those still reading this and contributing, when Steve mentions "cheapest" way to go, he is speaking in regards to the specific set up we chose for my locos (not brand specific), rather the use of a simple receiver where we do not have provisions/servos for headlights, directional lights etc.

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  3:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Porters will follow the rails a bit better if the front of the cover plate is loosened a little. This will allow the front drivers to move up and down a little to follow small variations in the rails. I insert a small washer between the frame and the inside of the cover plate, for the front cover plate screw. This way, I can tighten the screw but still leave a little breathing room for the front driver set. This will also help electrical pick up for those who do not use BPRC.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  3:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am still looking for a source to purchase small battery pack(s): 11.1V, 3S Lipo. between 160 - 200 mah.

Tom M.

Wv railbaron
Section Hand

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  06:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, look at the use of the 12volt stepup from Pololu. I have 3.7v with 350 mAh that are small will net you the voltage and the size and no need to balance.
Steve Sherrill

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Dead Rail Society Web Site Is Live Topic Next Topic: Understanding LiPo Batteries  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000