Railroad Line Forums - The proper method of wrapping or winding line
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 61 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 The proper method of wrapping or winding line
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: coffee Topic Next Topic: Earl Smallshaw
Page: of 2

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  10:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The proper method of wrapping or winding line around an object such as a mast or boom without those unsightly glued ends showing.

Lately there have been several posts on building boats and believe me, I have no problem with the builds. And as a former sport-fishing boat captain I enjoy each and every one. The builder is simply following “the instructions”. In some instances the instructions have left something out that I feel is pertinent to a more finished model.

If I were producing model kits I would want the builder to have the absolute best experience he’s ever had building one of my kits. I would give him the most complete and accurate instructions possible. I’d give the builder the option to make short-cuts in construction instead of cheating him out of building the best model he could. Therefore, I’d try to make the instructions as complete as possible and offer tips on construction. George Sellios never skimped on instructions or tips. If I didn’t know how to construct a certain part, I’d find out the correct way before I published the wrong way.

Instead of securing the bitter ends of line with glue to finish off a wrap, it should go something like this. This is the same method that many a fisherman or rod maker has used for centuries to secure eyelets on a fishing rod or some other similar object.

For our purposes, cut a length of line that you will think will wrap around the “mast or boom” the number of times or length you’ll need and add some extra just so you’ll be able to handle the line. Then form a loop of line along the mast or boom you’re working on.

Hold down the lines with your finger to keep them in place. Then with the long end of line wrap the line several times around the mast. Now continue wrapping for the desired length. Don’t wrap too tight or too loose, you want it to be snug. You’ll see later why you don’t want it too tight.

Insert the “bitter” or loose end through the loop.

Now begin pulling the bitter end of the line that formed the loop. If the wraps are too tight it will be difficult to pull the line under the wraps.

Pull it until the line passing through the loop and the loop itself are half way, or in the case of long wraps, at least several “wraps” under the wrapping. This will hold both ends of the line securely in place WITHOUT using glue on the loose ends.

Now simply cut the excess line off flush with the ends of the wrap. There you have it, a tight wrap and NO goofy bare line ends showing. It may take a little practice to figure out how long a piece of line you’ll need or how tight the wraps should be but it’s simple to figure out. And you’ll enjoy the difference it makes on your project.

Ta Da! Done.Nice and neat and most of all . . . professional. No ridiculous gluing the ends of the line. If you’ve wrapped the line tight enough it’ll never come undone.

Frank

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  10:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, maybe I can pull it off as I've never been wrapped too tight.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  10:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice SBS, Frank! 'Bout time, too!

Thanks for taking the time to make this off for us.

Pete
in Michigan

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  11:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, thank s for showing that. I've wondered how that was done. I'll be needing to use that soon.

Jeff

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  12:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice lesson Frank!
So when is the first "Palmer" ship model coming out?
You know the ones, with the expertly written instructions.

Greg Shinnie

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  12:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Frank. Thanks for that. I wonder if that is where the term "to the bitter end" came from. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  6:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl – not wrapped too tight is probably a good thing.

Pete – you’re quite welcome. Keep the wind at your back and all that bla-bla stuff.

Jeff – just in the nick of time.

Greg – instructions, we don’t need no stinking instructions.

Bill – aye lad, some sayeth it could be.

Frank

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  7:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank. I believe I will have use for this

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  10:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh oh- this was "knot" in my instructions!

rlundy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  11:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been making rods for years and found that if you wax the thread by pulling it through some beeswax, you can wrap it a lot tighter and still get it pulled through the wraps. It also helps get rid of the fuzzies on many threads.

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  12:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
Many thanks for that! I agree with Pete. We needed that, and it was about time.

--Stu--
It's a great day whenever steam heads out into the timber!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  02:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!!!!

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bryan – great, glad to be of help.

Captain Carl – maybe you can get a refund?

Ronald – good tip. Tight lines and good fishing.

Stu – better late than never.

Bob – you’re welcome.

Frank

R.BOUDREAUX
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  5:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Frank,

Thanks for the tut on this. I have copied and filed it. I'm sure I'll need it later.

Thanks,

Rich

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  01:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,
That's quite impressive, if I didn't know better I'd say you were an experienced fisherman that has done some repairs to a broken fishing rod or two.
I'm impressed.
Just for laughs do a google search of my family name, you might find the results interesting if you're a fly fisherman.
Ralph

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  07:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff Frank.
So good that I thought it should be added to the Classroom Forum.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: coffee Topic Next Topic: Earl Smallshaw  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000