Railroad Line Forums - Narrow Gauge at Fort Benning
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 57 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Narrow Gauge at Fort Benning
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Blue / Pink Foam and Hydrocal Topic Next Topic: bachmann 18 boxcar with murphy roof
Page: of 2

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  11:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This Last weekend as you may know, we attended the turning blue and graduation for my grandson at Ft. Benning. On Friday we were at the National Infantry Museum for graduation, when I spotted this down by a set of vintage buildings. I posted some pictures gathered from Google images. I don't know if I can post them or not..I will let Rick weight in on this.

Here are the pictures I took. Looks like they had the whole locomotive powder coated...

I still think and imagine what a cool module would be for a loco like this... No Larry you can't use this one in the Yukon, it would need windows and doors.

Les

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  11:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Les that's neat,
the HO 0-6-0 would be a good base,

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  11:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les,
Great pictures, I still dream of building a trench railroad but have not found the right WW1 figures. Maybe one day someone will release this as a model.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  11:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Paul,
Which one do you think? Wheels turning in my head to build one...

Larry,
Yes I agree, one of us would have to start sculpting soldiers and other artifacts. A WWI railroad like this would run behind the lines? My visual is crudely lain tracks in the muck, with the the artifacts of war all around.

Look at this car too..

It was used to move troops on the fort for training.

Les

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  1:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen's baby, the saddle tank,
But, the axle spacing is offset, wicked nice runner,

Need something modified??

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  2:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les --

Thanks for the pix! There are lots of crappy, low-rez snaps of that preserved loco floating around, but you've provided some good shots!

As Paul noted, the HO saddletank is roughly the right size, but the valve gear and axle spacing are wrong ...

The book "Narrow Gauge to No Man's Land" shows the WW1 trench railways and settings ... plus drawings of equipment (including this loco) ... think the Gazette article on Lost River RR also had drawings of the loco ...

The selection of WW1 figures is fairly limited, but you shouldn't have to sculpt 1/48 military figures from scratch ... they're out there!

This outfit makes the rolling stock in 1/43 -- in that slightly larger scale, the HO track gauge works out closer to the proper 60cm (roughly 2' gauge):
http://modele-reduit-train.com/

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  2:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PS -- Use the term "WDLR" or "War Department Light Railway" to find a lot more trench railway info on the web ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

bkempins
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  3:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit bkempins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a chapter devoted to WWI trench railroads and how to model them in my next book . it is due to be released in 2014 just I time for the 100th Anniversary of the start of WWI. Here is a test shot showing some tanks moving near the narrow gauge line.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  4:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks All,
When we planned this adventure for my Grandson's graduation, I found nothing of interest to see...this engine surely adds a lot to the trip. I would like to build this..some how.

Les

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  4:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les, change scale to OO (or 4mm) from HO, and then check out Continental Narrow Gauge. (Here's a good place to start: http://ngrm-online.com/forums There's LOTS of stuff available for WWI trench railways. See for example: http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9521-009-war-department-baldwin/?hl=baldwin

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  4:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I am being dense this afternoon..what do you mean I should do? Find other sources of frames? or ???

Les

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  8:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les, I was just pointing out the substantial amount of stuff available in OO scale.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  8:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Thanks, I will look into that...I think if I were build this, I would head towards O Scale, even if I have to build new characters...

Les

bkempins
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  01:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit bkempins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by visman48

Dave,
Thanks, I will look into that...I think if I were build this, I would head towards O Scale, even if I have to build new characters...

Les

A WWI Trench RR in On30 scale is achievable. I will cover this subject in my book, but there are cars, engines and figures available, mostly from the UK and a few items from France.

,I think it is just a matter of time before one of the major manufacturers makes a Baldwin 2-6-2 in On30. Over 500 served in WWI and then were sent all over the world to work on various narrow gauge lines.

The main drawback for the purists is the slightly wider gauge.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  5:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup....That would be a neat one to have a shot at.
I have a 4-6-0 but don't think it would work.....
Thanks for sharing the pictures Les......

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  9:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bill..I mean Geez,
Thanks it is a neat loco, what makes it interesting is the small driver set...well I think they are small. I also like the cab area, and maybe its the color that brings out all the details. if the 4-6-0 has small drivers, then the front pony would easily be made into a single. Did someone say there was a drawing some place?

Les

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Blue / Pink Foam and Hydrocal Topic Next Topic: bachmann 18 boxcar with murphy roof  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000