Railroad Line Forums - Static grass applicators ?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 252 ]  [ Total: 254 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Static grass applicators ?
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Keelung Coal 3.5 ton 0-4-0 Well Tank Topic Next Topic: Small Industrial Rolling Stock
Page: of 2

Randy May
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  10:00:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know some of you have used theses very effectively on your layouts.
do you have any preference based on your experience on what applicators to use,
this would be a new modeling tool I've never used and would like to very much.
I love the look of it in Marty's work.
please discuss your preferences & experiences.
thanks,
Randy

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  10:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randy,

I'll be watching the replies. I have thought and talked about this but never made the move to buy an applicator or grass materials. With the new layout starting I might need one.

Tom M.

Randy May
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  11:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one I see at Micro-mark,
Economy Static Grass Applicator by Grass Tech USA for 39.95

Download Attachment: 85305_R.jpg
84.04 KB

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  11:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well guess I have to drop in on this. Still believe the purchase of a static grass applicator is worth the money. The result I achieve is try and error, picking up some techniques used by Brandl, some of my own. Became member of a group modelers who used Silflor grass mats for years and even they think now that a machine is worth the money.
Glueing mats is maybe easy but will cost, lets say you want to do one module, that means you have to purchase for 250 / 300 dollars of grass mats to fill her up. For the same amount you buy the Noch grassmaster and a lot of various fibers. At the end you have the module filled with grasses, still have a lot of fibers left and a machine to move on to your next module.
Started 2 years ago with the Noch grassmaster and modified the thing a bit. It lacks a bit of power, or let's say I wanted more power. The new 2.0 is better and has more power. On the other hand the Heki machine's also a great purchase and maybe I recommend a RTS greenkeeper based on experiences of fellow german modelers..didn't try it myself..http://www.rts-greenkeeper.de/ they have a 35kV machine in the same pricerange of the Noch...

Wil follow further discussions with interest..

Note: although I own a 70kV proffesional Maag Flock machine I do believe the results I achieve are also being possible with any other static machine..

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  11:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randy - FWIW, I use the NOCH grass master too....worth the investment if you ask me.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  12:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those Noch grass masters are close to $200.00 "ouch"

Tom M.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  12:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom, check the prices on this stuff...http://www.sceneryexpress.com/products.asp?dept=1042...buy ten of these and you have your grassmaster and a bunch fibers...you can recollect lots of the fibers using a Dyson type of vacuumcleaner or use a stocking in the hose..

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  1:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randy for what you are going to use it for and the amount of time with it does not constitute the price of the Noch, and the one from Micro-mark isn't any different from this home made one. Posted here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31460

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Edited by - desertdrover on 11/08/2013 1:55:05 PM

Randy May
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  2:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does it take a special glue on the terrain,or is elmers glue good?

Randy May
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  2:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this one on ebay and thought I'd give tis one a try,
The Scooter applicator,
http://hollielyko.blogspot.com/2011/05/electrostatic-flocking-applicator.html

its half as expensive as the Noch,
Randy

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  2:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh yes there is Louis, called lack of power, these converted flyswatters will give you around 5 kV of power, not enough for the longer fibers...

Btw did found this one on fleabay, anyone familiar with it..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scooters-Static-Stick-Grass-Flock-Applicator-/220774262653?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item33672be77d

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  2:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randy May

This is one I see at Micro-mark,
Economy Static Grass Applicator by Grass Tech USA for 39.95

Download Attachment: 85305_R.jpg
84.04 KB

Missed this one Randy, would go for a grasstech II in this case...http://grasstechusa.com/products/grasstech-ii/index.html

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  2:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randy May

does it take a special glue on the terrain,or is elmers glue good?

No there's no special glue needed, I use a slow drying wood glue on the layout with a open time of 18 minutes. Or lately a transparent acrylic emulsion, base material for making acrylic paint..

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  5:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made one that is exactly like the Micro Mark model and it cost me about $5 to build it.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  7:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milocomarty

Oh yes there is Louis, called lack of power, these converted flyswatters will give you around 5 kV of power, not enough for the longer fibers...

Btw did found this one on fleabay, anyone familiar with it..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scooters-Static-Stick-Grass-Flock-Applicator-/220774262653?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item33672be77d

Spend your money where you may!
When the layout is done it will sit on a shelf anyway.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  8:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, maybe yes, but I can spend a couple of 100 dollars plus on rolling stock and locomotives after my layout is done instead of doing it now and put them on a shelf...it 's juust what you want and what you want to achieve Louis...btw it wasn't personal on the lack of power. Sometimes it's hard to type what you think in a language not native..but I still do think converted fly swaters lack power unless you show me different..

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Keelung Coal 3.5 ton 0-4-0 Well Tank Topic Next Topic: Small Industrial Rolling Stock  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000