Railroad Line Forums - Update on the Big Horn and Moose Creek RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 205 ]  [ Total: 206 ]  [ Newest Member: wandering rr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Update on the Big Horn and Moose Creek RR
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rail tie size ? Topic Next Topic: Keelung Coal 3.5 ton 0-4-0 Well Tank
Page: of 4

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  10:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All,
Its probably been a year since there has been a real update, of course you have seen bits and pieces here and there, but there has been progress and planning.

First the start of some rock work to fill a large gap, this will have some trees intermixed there so you will be able to see the locos coasting down the hill from the mine.

The area you should be looking at has the 2 retaining walls and the rock pillar.

The trees are just standing in right now, much has to be done before any of them get planted, I am still in the painting and staining stage. Work needs to be done on the retaining walls too.

And then there is this area getting ready...

So locos must traverse a hallway duck under to get here, this will have at least a run around and ??? it will be treed at least, and leads to another span across the doorway to the NEW mining area.

This area will house the J&L mine, miners cabins and will host other mining buildings. it will be high country scrub and sage. It too is reached by a duck under.

Size for this area is 32"x5' it will be 32" deep along the short wall, and will be 18" wide for the bridge to meet it so kind of a fat L.

I am hoping Larry will take a look at it.

Where the pinkish track leads to the bridge/duck under. This by no means is a final and is a poor start. Even with this I don't know how to position the mine on it.

Les

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  10:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les,

Thanks for the update with all the pictures. Great and inspiring work. I like those trees in the fall colors.

Tom M.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  10:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tom,
Thanks, both sets of Aspens are purchased not made, the smaller fuller set is from a company called Colorado Gems, the other company I don't remember for sure...but I have about a dozen of them, they are really good. the trees will be set into some medium deep grasses and underbrush in the middle of the fall.

Les

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  10:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les what you do have done looks great,
Looking forward to you working on it

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  12:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice! I love all the rock castings.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  12:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great update Les.
I will take a better loom at this over the weekend.

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  02:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fall is always my favorite - love the foliage!! I'm just getting a first look at this. VERY impressed & inspired!!!

I'm actually awed by your rock wall...
I need at least 2 for my Layout, and no real idea how to make a large-ish rock feature Not look like a stacking of rock castings.....

Really like the way yours came out!

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  04:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like to see more updates like this Les ! And don't keep us waiting another year

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  07:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done!
Vince

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  07:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Guys,
Thanks, yeah I know its been a long time since updates, the current RR is run able so many nights I just move trains around, using the 2 loops, and Wye, its really nice. It will definitely be fall on the railroad with the aspens, the big ones are really nice, I have a lot more of them, in green and some in a more oranger tone.

The bigger trees are from http://www.mckenziebrotherstimberco.com/custom-trees.html they are the 12" variety, the smaller ones are Colorado Gems I pick up at times from the train shows.

For those seeing this for a first time or wanting to see the full context here is the orginal thread on the build... http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22704

Larry the squares on what I have attempted are 6" so that's 24" x 5' it will be on built brackes with the red roll around underneath. Base that the track gets put down will be likely be homasote or homabed as I have sheets of it. I also have foam to build up to. If others are wishing to help out let me know.

Thanks again for the comments.

Les

Edited by - visman48 on 11/08/2013 07:16:35 AM

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  07:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les your rock work is really impressive. Looking forward to more updates.

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  07:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great rock work. You hid the seams of the castings very well.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  08:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update Les - I was just at the
other link for your layout and was wondering when
you were going to come out again...;-)
Your work is always inspiring - Looking forward to
future updates....

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very happy to see the new updates and wish you would update often or at least post photos; your layout is one of my favorites.

Arthur

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  09:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well it's about time you gave us an update.

Looking great Les, really like all the rock work. As for the trackplan for the mine area, at lot of it will depend upon the footprint of the mine.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  10:47:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ron,
Thanks, thats exactly the question I am asking on the J&L Mine build, how this would be situated...aka what would the track work look like beyond the 1 track in the front for empties to be filled and a second track in the back for waste material. I am also trying to visualize the rest of the needed buildings and track work for this area. Always looking for suggestions...

Les

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Rail tie size ? Topic Next Topic: Keelung Coal 3.5 ton 0-4-0 Well Tank  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000