Railroad Line Forums - Small Industrial Rolling Stock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 138 ]  [ Newest Member: lewisoliver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Small Industrial Rolling Stock
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Static grass applicators ? Topic Next Topic: Black Valley
Page: of 3

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2013 :  2:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Keelung Coal Company-type flatcar is pretty much finished, minus some paint touchups, weathering and weight to be added if it proves to be necessary:

Underside:

And next up is a pair of underframes scrounged from a Grandt Line Koppel Ore Car kit:

I'm not sure what these will become yet but they fit nicely with the flatcar. I screwed the couplers to the underside of the coupler box covers to lower them a bit. They're still a little higher than the ones on the flatcar but it'll be easy to add some shims before I start on the frames.

-Cody

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  8:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fine looking models, Cody.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 11/03/2013 :  09:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat flat car....would be good behind a
Porter as well....maybe tool box etc....
Nice work!

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2013 :  09:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, interesting work Cody.

Tom M.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  12:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Folks!

I think the Porter would dwarf this car, it looks okay with a Grandt Line HO scale GE 25 ton diesel, of which I have one formerly HOn30 gauge and recently switched to16.5mm gauge, (and running quite nicely)... Maybe a small diesel will be in the works for my On30 line one day...

-Cody

lenelg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  02:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit lenelg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I think the Porter would dwarf this car"

Why build a tiny prototype and then try to disguise its tininess? ;^)

Lennart Elg - the Sloat Lumber Man

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  07:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody,
I built up a bunch of the left over cars from grand it line parts and they are at the stage your cars are at. I will be watching you for ideas.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  5:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lenelg

"I think the Porter would dwarf this car"

Why build a tiny prototype and then try to disguise its tininess? ;^)

Don't worry, there will be some people, automobiles and equipment around to make the trains tininess pretty obvious. I want the engines dwarfed by the scenery as well.

-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  5:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Cody,
I built up a bunch of the left over cars from grand it line parts and they are at the stage your cars are at. I will be watching you for ideas.

Larry, I'm not sure what these will be yet but I'm thinking some kind of MOW cars...

-Cody

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  8:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to try some kadee HO log bunks to make cars to carry support beams into the mine. Small mow cars would be interesting.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  10:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were to be nitpicking I would ask what happens to the NBWs that you put on the bottom of the straps once they are in the wood? Should there be a nut on the top of the timber over the NBW or do the bolts screw into the wood? (Seriously, what was the prototype practice here?)

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  11:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Prototype practice? Beats me. My story is that they're carriage bolts and the heads are hidden by the planking, same with the ones holding the coupler bar to the underside.

-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  11:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh! There is no planking over the bottom strap bolts! Good catch, looks like I'll be installing some carriage bolt heads shortly.

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  02:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wait a moment.....
You don't want to be accused of Rivet Counting in On30 - do you!!???

Seriously, that Really came out great!!

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  02:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NBW's look better than plain old rivets
Nice work Cody!

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Static grass applicators ? Topic Next Topic: Black Valley  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000