Railroad Line Forums - Small Industrial Rolling Stock
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 185 ]  [ Total: 189 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Small Industrial Rolling Stock
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Static grass applicators ? Topic Next Topic: Black Valley
Page: of 3

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  5:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I mentioned that I fell of the non-On30-wagon by ordering a tiny 0-4-0WT :
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41046

I went another step over this morning and built an even smaller four-wheel car for it to pull:

It's only about four feet wide by seven feet long. The journal boxes are cut from a Titchy archbar truck with Kadee HO 28" wheelsets, which works out to about 14 inches in O scale, the rest is the usual Brass bits and Grandt Line NBWs. Coupling will be simple link & pin, chains or drawbars and will be installed later. So far, I quite like it.

It looks allot like a kit made my Aru Models:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/arumo/r0031.htm
But I like the individual board wood construction method better in O scale.

-Cody

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  03:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks GREAT, Cody!!
I too, am the being dragged back into On30!!
How could ANYONE resist!! So far, I'm not very popular my second(and last!) Move to On30.....
But I'm just building a Railroad, and Lovin' it!!!

The cars REALLY look good!! I'm gonna have to build one or two!
Do you plan on adding sides, to make little gondolas or box cars?

on30vince
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  08:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The car looks really good.
Vince

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  2:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks!

I'll probably be building a few more of these with different variations. The coal tubs that ran in Taiwan were built on a chassis sort of like this one and were often moved by hand. I already have some in HOn30 so I'll probably go in a slightly different direction with this. I'm not sure where though...

-Cody

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  3:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cody,
THAT looks AWESOME! O scale, narrow gauge/narrowgauge? Nice tho....I like it, I'd do the same thing in HO scale with small N scale wheels on HO scale axles.....Be a GREAT "cart" to be hauled around by a Gandy Dancer! Which is one, I'm working on.......old time MOW line "crew"

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  4:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're doing On30 Industrial, you really should go over to Shapeways.com and check out the variety of 3D printed stuff there. Tom Bell, (teebe) for example has some side-dump skips that look very nice.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  9:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great looking cars Cody. Can't wait to see how they end up.

Cheers, Heath.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  12:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The car looks really good, Cody. I was just wondering if it was not a bit light in view of good tracking? But maybe you're planning to add some significant load?

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  11:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks!

It's been a fun build so far! I think this one will stay a flatcar. The only thing I don't like is the pedestals, I'm thinking of using KB Scale conversion parts for their skips in the future: http://www.kbscale.com/rolling-stock.html (scroll right to the bottom). Pepper7 also sells resin wagon frames with wheels for about 5$ each, which I may investigate.

Dave, I've looked all over shapeways but never taken the plunge. I might wave to have a go at it soon, there's so much neat stuff on there.

Frederic, I usually only add weight if I find a problem, and at the moment the only tracking problem I have is that I have no track... I think I'd be able to add some weight under the deck if needed.

-Cody

centercab
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  12:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the car, Cody. I especially like the finish of the wood and the rust on the metal stuff.

-------------------------
Chuck

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  01:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  09:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now this, is a great looking car! Perfect!

Dave (HWCRR)

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  09:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the risk of rivet-counting/nit-picking: Why not add some NBW castings where the strap that runs under the journals meets the wood car body?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  1:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not nit-picking Dave, that's a good idea, I'll probably do that when I add the couplings. Speaking of couplers, I think some prototypes just had a strap of iron along the centre of the car with hooks and/or chains at the ends, I'll have to look it up. I think I'd rather do that than use link & pin castings...

-Cody

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  5:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great little car Cody!

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  6:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!

Added four NBWs as per Dave's suggestion. They do add a nice little extra and you can see them when the car is upright. They will be painted to match the rest of the hardware shortly.

Anyone please feel free to jump in with criticisms and suggestions. I'm thick skinned and looking to improve my modelling skills!

Thanks again,

-Cody

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Static grass applicators ? Topic Next Topic: Black Valley  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000