Railroad Line Forums - Magoun Pier
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software
Page: of 74

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2016 :  4:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well since we seem to be running out of nice warm weather, I figured I'd better get Magoun pier outside to photograph, before it's to cold.
It's been really rainy here lately, and Saturday looked like it was going to be dry to pull this off.
I wanted to photograph this at dusk, to try and get a nice sunset sky in the background of the pier.
So my plan was to set up at around 5pm for my photo shoot on that day.
So on that day, I cleaned everything off the pier that I could, and carefully packed those details into boxes.
When all was ready, I asked one of my neighbors, Ted to give me a hand in lifting the pier up the basement stairs, and out my backdoor and into the back of my pick-up truck.
This would be the first test to see if I could get it out without damaging anything on it.

It worked! I got it all into my truck without any problems.

I then drove it over to the high school here in my town, because it has a nice hill beside it that I could take photos from.
It gives a nice elevation, so when I'm shooting pics I see nothing but sky in the background.
So we got there alright, it's just down the street less than a kilometer.
And we pulled it out from the truck and set the pier up on the pavement on top of this hill.
I began by placing the ships around the pier, followed by the travelling cranes and structures.
I then returned to the truck to get the vehicles and my camera, I was just returning with that stuff, when disaster struck!
A gust of wind blew 2 of my travelling cranes over and down smashing on the ground.
Needless to say that was horrifying to watch, for both me and my neighbor friend who was there to help me.
I quickly place my camera and box of vehicles down on the ground, and rushed over to see the mess.
It turned out to be not so bad considering the fall, the damage was all stuff I could fix again.
So as I was picking up the pieces, another gust came up and this time launched Nilsson Sail factory into the air, and smashing on the ground!
I was really bummed out about the cranes, and now this happened, it was like being in a bad dream.
The sail factory didn't fair as well as the cranes did on it's maiden voyage to the pavement.
So I said to Ted my neighbor well that wraps up this photo shoot.
We scoured the pavement for all of the pieces that went flying everywhere and placed them into a box.
Ted, felt so bad for me, as I did too!

I spent last night and most of today rebuilding those 3 pieces of the pier.
I think everything is going be alright now, the cranes are back together, and the sail factory is getting there.
I left everything in the truck, hoping that I can try photographing this all again without incident sometime this week.

Please wish me better luck, for the next time I try this.

Sadly these are the only 2 photo's that I took yesterday before this mishap.

Greg Shinnie

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2016 :  5:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about this one, Greg.

You do have the pieces, though, so it appears that you can fix the cranes. They might need logos on them when you're done-- Phoenix Crane Works....

The images you obtained were good ones, though....

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2016 :  5:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pete!

Just never thought the wind was going be an issue.
All of my stuff is usually firmly glued down, except on this one.
And those were the ones that went.
Considering how far they fell, and what they landed on I came out of it very lucky.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2016 :  8:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank God the damage was minimal.

Best of luck the next time Greg.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2016 :  9:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sheesh Greg, that was a royal bummer! Sorry.

But I know what you mean about getting good shots outdoors...
It's a ton of effort, time and aggravation, but the images you can get are great...

And you're excellent photography proves that.
Cheer up- disasters like that are rare!

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  12:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
You never know how tricky the wind can be, and out of no where a gust comes along'...It has happened to me several times and on a beautiful sunny day with no apparent winds in the area'..and yet disaster'..

It sounds though, you have handled it well, and have rebounded nicely'..Good luck with the repairs'...and the next shoot'..:-headache]

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  01:19:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a painful experience to go through. I hope everything goes back together again.

It's only make-believe

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  07:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about your mini-hurricane but I'm sure you will weather the storm. I think I
mentioned a while back that I too had models ruined by the wind when trying to photograph them.
All your good friends here are rooting for you and I'm sure when you do get those photos they
will be SUPERB.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  08:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much guys, for your encouraging posts!
I hope I will be more successful with my next attempt at photographing the pier outside.

Greg

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  08:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, I can imagine the feeling that tore through you as you watched the cranes and then the sailmaker get airborne! I had my tiny foam insulation "weeds" diorama stuck to a solid base with double stick tape for an outdoor shoot. The tape softened in the direct sun and the wind flipped it, along with the rolling stock sitting loosely on the track, onto the ground. Fortunately in that case it was only a few inches, above a soft patch of lawn and the only damage was a slightly bent brake staff. But at the moment they lifted off and I couldn't reach to stop it...it must have been much worse with Magoun Pier!!! Glad to hear the recovery is going well!

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  09:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Don't know if I ever told you this story before but it does illustrate that all is not lost.

Years ago when I went to figure modeling shows I did both enter models in competition and set up
tables to sell kits and parts. My pickup truck would be packed to it's limit with boxes of
stuff. One year I was entering this piece which included six horses, each with only one foot on
the ground. A friend who was helping me unload turned it's box up-side-down and we heard a
terrible crunch. Every arm, sword, and horses leg was broken in a mass of parts. He felt worse
than I did but I hate doing repair work so that wreck lay in it's box for years. I came across
it one day looking for something else and decided to repair it. For about the last 30
years it has been on display at the Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor at Fort Knox, they
loved it.

I know you will come through this just fine.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  09:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Bill & Bob, for your posts.

Bill, I saw the cranes blowing over, but all I could do was watch it happen.
Same with my neighbor friend Ted, who was on the opposite side of the cranes.
I was more upset about the Nilsson Sail factory, when that fell, and broke into pieces.

Bob, thanks for sharing your model disaster story with us.
I'm glad your story had a happy ending to it!
And what a beautiful work of art it is!
So glad you eventually got around to repairing it.
It really is a masters work of art!

Greg

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  10:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, that was a real gut-wrenching experience. We've all been there at one time or another. It's just worse having a witness there to see you crying.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  11:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Greg,
What a sickening feeling that must have been! I glad you can repair the damage and have the resolve to try again. Looking forward to the new gust free pics.
Dave

David Guffey

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  12:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

I was saddened to read of your misfortune. Looks like many of us have had similar accidents, not always as destructive as yours. I think the worst I had happen was a model depot blow off a contest table at an NMRA monthly division meeting.

I hope you are not too discouraged. Sounds like you have a great neighbor.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 74 Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000