Railroad Line Forums - Magoun Pier
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software
Page: of 74

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  3:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Greg and Bill for the out-pouring of confidence with the nomination to the RRL Punsters Club. The 2 boxes of Magic Water for the price of membership is a bit sticky though.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  5:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superb!! That's all I can say.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  8:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sure is a nice night water shot of the Magoun Harbor Pier'. At first glance, I though it was a mirror image from a forced prospective with the old mirror trick...$50.00 bucks a pop is well worth it in this case'...And Greg, "you can't take it with you". Did you ever see a luggage rack on a hearse?...

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  09:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, I' ve been reading the last several pages of your build and you are doing a splendid job with your water. I envy those who can achieve success without trouble.
Is the magic water cheaper in a box than The premixed container? I've only seen it offered on EBay and the LHS I go to doesn't carry it.
Good luck with your build and the 1:1 project at the cottage.
Although other projects are time consuming, they are more difficult to finish in this heat. Looking great.
Rich

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  10:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Latest photo reflects nicely on your work!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  9:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone! For your pun filled responses, I love them all!

Just got home from our cottage, so forgive me for not giving you guys a quicker reply.

Frank, don`t you worry about those membership fees, I will pay them for you.

Rich, Magic Water is made in the U.S.A. in Michigan. It comes in 2 different bottles, that you mix together.
Just like Envirotex, but it does not have the smell that Envirotex does, and it cleans up with water unlike Envirotex.

Thanks again!

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  11:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, well after mixing and pouring six boxes of Magic Water, the infinity pool look that I've been after has been finally achieved!

As you can see in these photos I was able to tease the Magic Water right up and onto my wooded edge the surrounds my pier.
At this point you can still see that wooden edge through the Magic Water, but that will soon be hidden by the next step.
That will be adding some subtle texture to this smooth like glass water surface, using some heavy gloss gel medium.
This will take away from the waters' mirror like reflections that we now see.

I'm off to Michael's craft store to buy the heavy gloss gel, for my next step.

Greg

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  12:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a quiet night in Lake Wobegon, with nary a ripple marring the crystal-clear waters of the Lake. As the dock workers silently went about their business, there was a hint of movement in the shadows along the pier. Not much, but enough to catch the eye of the Watchman....

Looking good, Greg!

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  12:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pete!
Don't know who wrote that bit about lake Wobegon, but it does fit in rather nicely.

Greg

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  2:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The SHADOW knows......................

Looks fantastic Greg. How do you plan to keep the waves or chop you will make away in the areas where you
will place all your ships and watercraft? Will they be glued down in place or removable? It's
easier to glue the watercraft down and then get right up to them with the textured surface but
it does make them permanent.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  3:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

The SHADOW knows......................

Looks fantastic Greg. How do you plan to keep the waves or chop you will make away in the areas where you
will place all your ships and watercraft? Will they be glued down in place or removable? It's
easier to glue the watercraft down and then get right up to them with the textured surface but
it does make them permanent.

Bob

Bob, if the Shadow knows than it must be related to a radio program.
So I Googled Lake Wobegon, and the radio show "A Prairie Home Companion" came up.
Is this where Pete's Lake Wobegon sentence comes from?
I guess Pete, will need to answer that for us.

Thanks again Bob! For your always kind words about my work.
I've always wanted the ships around the pier to be removable, due to the fact this pier was built to be a portable display.
With the R.A.SANTOS being such a large/tall ship it would have made the pier much harder to move if I permanently attached it to the water.
I also wanted to be able to add other ships to this scene for a change in look, from time to time.
Now having said all that I was thinking I would place the ships where I want them to be, and add the water texture around them.
So when I removed the SANTOS I would be left with a footprint of the hull on the smooth Magic Water surrounded by texture.
I was going to do the same with the other ships & barges at the pier.
I'm hoping to keep the texturing of the water really quite flat(no large waves) just ripples.
It seemed to work out well on my Delwins water, so I'm going to try and make the water surface look like I did on Delwins.

Greg

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  4:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That infinity edge came out beautifully Greg!

Awaiting your ripples....

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  4:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Yes indeedy, it was a rip-off (and not a particularly good one, I might add) from the "Prairie Home Companion," mixed in with some dime novel/pulp fiction sorts of things. No, I'm not off on a new career, and yes, I think I'll stick with little trains.

Again, some very nice work being shown here!

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  5:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

That infinity edge came out beautifully Greg!

Awaiting your ripples....

Thanks Carl!
I know I went a bit overboard to get it.
I wouldn't do it again this way.
I am glad it came out looking like I imagined/hoped it would.

Pete, I think you better apply to your local PBS station as a script writer.
It read well & sounded good to me.
I saw a story on CBS Sunday Morning about the long time host of PHC Garrison Keillor, and his recent retirement from that show.

Greg

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  6:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to throw a penny in the reflecting pool and make a wish, but the dang thing bounced off into a corner somewhere ... lemme know if you find it!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Page: of 74 Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000