Railroad Line Forums - Magoun Pier
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software
Page: of 74

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  12:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My friends at the “Center” and I learned a valuable lesson about Magic Water. First paint the sides up a little along the edge with MW and let that dry before you pour. That should stop the creep.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/18/2016 12:54:22 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  12:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

My friends at the “Center” and I learned a valuable lesson about Magic Water. First paint the sides up a little along the edge with MW and let that dry before you pour. That should stop the creep.

Frank, your suggestion about painting a little Magic Water first up on the sides is a good one.
I have done my second pour of Magic Water and it did not creep as much as the first pour did.
I did not paint any more on, just relied on the previous creep to keep the second pour from creeping anymore.
That seemed to work, I did not notice any additional creeping whatsoever.
I used 2 more boxes of Magic Water in the second pour, and it still wasn't enough to reach the top of my outer wooden lip.
I'm still below it by 1/16th of a inch.
This is getting rather expensive, now looking at another 2 boxes to get the desired level needed.
Anyways... here is a night photo showing the mirror reflections I'm now getting from my 2 layers of water.

Greg

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  12:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is something Greg! Are you sure that you didn't include a second set of lights?

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  1:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Wow, that is something Greg! Are you sure that you didn't include a second set of lights?

Thanks Kris! At $50 bucks(Canadian) a box for the Magic Water, a second set of lights would have been way cheaper!

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 07/22/2016 1:08:17 PM

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  1:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks GREAT !!

the night shot is OUTSTANDING!!

It's funny how these projects can get you in deep water.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  1:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, did you accidentally get the box of 'heavy water' that not only glows in the dark, but also sinks into the bottom of the harbor and prevents you from reaching your goal? :) But seriously how thick of a layer do you get per box of Magic Water on that diorama?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  1:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Greg, did you accidentally get the box of 'heavy water' that not only glows in the dark, but also sinks into the bottom of the harbor and prevents you from reaching your goal? :) But seriously how thick of a layer do you get per box of Magic Water on that diorama?

Thanks Bob & Bill for your posts!

Bob, maybe I should have put the S.S.Santos in the water, to help displace my deepening water problem.

Bill, the Magic Water box says it makes 18 Fl.oz. of water.
So that means I`ve used 72 Fl.Oz. around the pier so far.
I am getting about 3 mm. thickness with the use of 2 boxes.
Had I not been attempting to hide that outer wooden lip, just the one pour would have been fine.
That infinity pool look is costing me!
Oh well you might as well enjoy your money while your still living, because you won`t enjoy it when your dead.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 07/22/2016 3:56:35 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  3:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, I’ve been reflecting on your work and I must say you certainly didn’t just gloss over the water project.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/22/2016 3:11:30 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  3:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Greg, I’ve been reflecting on your work and I must say you certainly didn’t just gloss over the water project.

Frank, congratulations! You have now become an official member of the RRLines Pun club!
On behalf of our club president Mr. Bill Gill and myself, we wish to welcome you to our club.
BTW... membership will cost you 2 boxes of Magic Water.
Sent to my house express delivery.

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  5:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Maybe the secret is to always leave the room lights off and the module lights on and nobody will notice the water is too low.

Beautiful photo, by the way.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  6:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've certainly poured your heart into this Greg, and done your level best!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  8:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There seems to be a tidal wave of puns rolling in here.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  8:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You punsters aren't leaving me much to work with here, so I'll simply have to say that I think Greg has done a whale of a job with this Unsalted, Shark-Free port.

Love the night shots!

Pete
in Michigan

Sandbar
New Hire

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  10:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The surface is as smooth as glass, you would have to be careful jumping in or you might cut yourself! I had better stop puning or I become a pane in the glass.
Great job though, looks really good
Andrew

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  09:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg if my math is correct, your next delivery of Magic Water should tide you over for the harbor.
Frank, welcome to the club! club motto? : Some people are born punning, some achieve punning and others have punnishment trust upun them.

Page: of 74 Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000