Railroad Line Forums - Magoun Pier
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software
Page: of 74

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  09:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, how much trouble was it to get it perfectly level for the "infinity" look?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  10:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Greg, how much trouble was it to get it perfectly level for the "infinity" look?

Hey Frank, I had to place a couple of shims under 2 of my wheels on the dolly that supports this entire scene to make it level.
I still will need one more pour of Magic Water to reach the top of my wooden lip around the water.
This will be the real tricky part, getting it to reach the top, without it over flowing that edge.
If I can get it even with the wood, I think the heavy gloss gel used for water texture will hide the rest.
So stay tuned for that, to see how it works out.

Greg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  11:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

I expect this will turn out great in your hands. I've never worked with resin on this scale. Wow. It always seems too thick when trying to get it to flow into details and too thin when it finds that little opening or it spills over the edge of a mold.

I assume you've taken a break or finished your other big project. I hope it has gone well.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  12:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Greg,

I expect this will turn out great in your hands. I've never worked with resin on this scale. Wow. It always seems too thick when trying to get it to flow into details and too thin when it finds that little opening or it spills over the edge of a mold.

I assume you've taken a break or finished your other big project. I hope it has gone well.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I hope you are right about this turning out fine.
I am still working on the Fort York project, it's not going as quickly as I had hoped for.
Other more important things keep coming between me and it's completion.
My eldest daughter's wedding was just last Saturday, and she gave me lots of things to build for that.
It was wonderful, but I'm glad that's over with now.
And I am building a deck around our cottage, in what little spare time I have.
I stayed home from going to our cottage this weekend to work on my modeling projects instead.
I'm currently lining the fort's interior walls with logs/dowels.
I better get back to it, my wife will want to see my progress when she gets back home from the cottage.

Greg

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  4:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck on the next pour Greg!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  5:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait for the final pour. Your a brave man Charlie Brown!!

Wonderful work Greg.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  10:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the well wishes, Carl & Jerry.
Well the first pour of Magic Water has cured and has been a success!
Magoun Pier takes another step towards completion!
I will need to visit my not so local hobby shop to purchase some more Magic Water in order to complete the second pour.
The first person to test these new waters was this little guy in a row boat, looking for some fish.
I did not have the nerve to tell him, that I didn't stock this new water with any fish.

Greg

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  10:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking really good, Greg. Even if there were fish in the area, I'm not sure I would want to eat what he catches.

Chuck

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  10:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Looking really good, Greg. Even if there were fish in the area, I'm not sure I would want to eat what he catches.

Chuck

What Chuck said!

Pete
in Michigan

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  11:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  11:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks outstanding, just as I expected.

Funny thing though, I was looking at your photo and I could hear that thumping music from "JAWS"
in my head, Look out Kid!!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  11:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a really flat surface so far, so you must have gotten the dio really flat prior to the pour. Nice work. With the Magic Water, are you getting much creeping or weeping of the resin up the sides of the pier base? TIA.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  11:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Chuck, Pete, Jerry & Bob.
I still have 2 more steps to complete before I can say I have finished with the water around the pier.
I hope those next steps, go as well as the first one did.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  11:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

Looks like a really flat surface so far, so you must have gotten the dio really flat prior to the pour. Nice work. With the Magic Water, are you getting much creeping or weeping of the resin up the sides of the pier base? TIA.

Kris, I missed your post while answering the others.
Yes the first thing I did before pouring was to make certain that the scene was sitting all level.
From my experience Magic Water does seem to creep less than Envirotex does.
However the only place I really noticed any small creeping was on the piers' retaining walls.
(See photo's below)
I'm thinking once I apply the water texture on top, it will make this less noticeable.
Once all of the ships are back in place I also think it will hide most of that area.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 07/18/2016 12:26:54 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  12:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

That "creep" might not be all bad. Wave action would tend to keep those areas wet....

And that's the Story. Stick to it!

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 74 Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000