Railroad Line Forums - Magoun Pier
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software
Page: of 74

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  09:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Happy to see your show went well. Looks like you had some high quality assistance. Opening ones layout is a lot of work even if you don't even do any modeling to do by the deadline. I know I always have a lot of picking up and putting away.

It must have looked really fantastic in person.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  09:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

All the atta-boys are well deserved, I'm sure. Sounds like you have a nice day and most likely
knocked the socks off the folks viewing your outstanding project. Were they mostly model
railroaders or just plain folks?

Bob

Hi Bob, I know the majority of the visitors were model railroaders, with a few non modellers also.
I had just under a 100 of them come through my door in total.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  09:35:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Greg,

Happy to see your show went well. Looks like you had some high quality assistance. Opening ones layout is a lot of work even if you don't even do any modeling to do by the deadline. I know I always have a lot of picking up and putting away.

It must have looked really fantastic in person.

Mike

Thanks very much Mike!
My wife was also very happy with how I cleaned up our laundry room for the tour.

Greg

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  10:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Judging from the comments I received, I feel that people really enjoyed their visit too Magoun pier, and would return next year to see more of it.
Greg

Oh I like the sound of that. That means the "pier" will be expanding, maybe from the laundry room to the entire basement?

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  11:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a Grand Day, Greg! Congratulations.

I probably should have suggested that you have a "posse" around to keep tabs on things and make sure that what's yours stays yours, but that one escaped me this time. Glad to see that I didn't need to say it!

Best wishes for the process that gets you ready for next year! Today the Laundry Room, tomorrow, The World!

Pete
in Michigan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  12:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Glad to read everything went really well with the tour and you, your helpers and all your guests had an enjoyable time too.

Frank's idea of expanding into the laundry room is worth considering...do you use "Tide" detergent? if so, you'll be all set :)

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  3:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg's show was a big hit with the visitors! Given the portable-ness of the set-up, Greg jokingly would refer to it as "Port Able" . . . which got a round of laughter from those sharp enough to catch his drift. Some did not, but that's only because they were entranced by what they were seeing in front of them . . .

A few visitors noted the smallness of the set-up, but, it was a shear delight for all . . . I could see it in their eyes, and that distant grin on their faces . . . like kids in a candy store!

As Greg put it, "We may not be big, but we're small." . . . a line from Steward McLean's(The Vinyl Cafe).

A Mennonite man with his son, seemed particularly taken with the entire layout . . . he said, and I quote, "Some of the other layouts I saw where somewhat intimidating, but this seems quite manageable" . . . end of quote.

I said nothing, but smiled inwardly knowing full well that what he was seeing and hearing, size-notwithstanding, the lights, the sound effects, and lord, those details . . . takes a lot of work, skill, love and time!

With Greg's permission, here are some of the pictures I took of that day . . . with close-up's of those dazzled details.

This one was a slight "panoramic" view, with the Mister himself (to the right) sipping his tea . . .

This next one delighted many a guest . . .

looking through those two upper windows revealed a glimps into the future or perhaps the past . . .

One interesting observation, these where the only two females evident, at Port Able . . .

Two men talking . . . probably about it being a "man's world here on the docks . . . chuckle.

Stepping out for some fresh air . . . Einstein was a big hit with the visitors.

Got to love those old cars . . .

From the rigging of the "Langell Boys" looking down upon the docks . . .

There are more pictures but I'd like to end it here for now . . . love this stuff!!

Greg's set-up in the Laundry room had some real ambiance about it . . . what with his work bench, the rail road memorabilia, the layout of course, wrapped in the charm of a home well over 100 years old!

The setting was perfect, very delightful and cozy!

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Edited by - Artman on 04/03/2016 3:56:17 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  4:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice shots, Robert! Thanks for sharing and for helping out!

Pete
in Michigan

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  4:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the show, Greg.

Robert, thanks for the pictures of Greg's fine work.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  5:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert,

Those are great photos. I'm still amazed at the details and charming vignettes.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  8:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert, thanks for posting those photo's from the tour day!
I'm glad that you took those pics, I had my camera down there, but did not even use it once.
So it's great to see the event from your camera's perspective.
It was a pleasure to have your help throughout the day, and a BIG thank you again for that assistance.
Thanks also to all of the forum members here, for being so supportive with all of your encouraging posts.
It's what makes all of this time spent on this particular project so wonderful!

Greg

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  11:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Robert,
Great job on the photos and thanks for posting.
Greg's skills are amazing!!!
Dave

David Guffey

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  07:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone on this Forum knows what a great job that Greg did on that diorama. Many thanks Robert for
letting us all see your perspective. Not as good as actually being there but the next best thing
and the only thing for us who are too far away.
Thanks again to both of you,

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/04/2016 :  4:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the photos, Robert. They really show Greg's skill and craftsmanship with the layout.
Glad to hear it was a good day.

Jeff

Artman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  07:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Artman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guys . . . you are welcome, the pleasure was all mine in posting those photos and even more, in taking them and being there to see Greg’s handy work “in the flesh”, so to speak!

Robert Wanka
http://www.robertwanka.com

Page: of 74 Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000