Railroad Line Forums - Magoun Pier
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software
Page: of 74

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  09:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, it would be a shame to have the other 2 gantry cranes sitting idle, I think you should build a sister ship to the RA Santos.

Joe Rutter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  9:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe Rutter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg:

What a tremendous project: building, planning, history all in one.

Boy I sure hope it will fit through your basement door opening ... I can just see you with your saw now

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  10:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank & Joe!

Frank, another ship from the Santos Line would be cool!
But that's not going to happen for awhile,too many other things to get done first!

Joe,yes this runs pretty close to the story about the guy who builds a boat in his basement.
And realizes he can't get it out when it's finished.
I have tested my passage already with my foam base,it had lots of clearance bringing down to the basement.I do think I will take the ships off the water when moving it around.
Perhaps even stow them under the rolling support structure when it transit.

Greg

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  08:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  4:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!

Hi everyone,I have not had a lot of time for modeling lately,busy time at work.
Nevertheless,I have started my next tribute build for our friend Frederic Testard.
Frederic, always has nice things to say about everyone's work here.
And is a master modeler himself,sharing his work & techniques here,for all of us to enjoy.
He really excels, when it comes to making this forum a better place.
So I will be using a Downtown Deco kit "Gugisberg & Sons Machining, for the starting point for this tribute build.
I will build "Testard's Mathematical Instruments" makers of finely calibrated Mathematical instruments.

This structure will be set into the side of a hill,with the back of the structure having a wooden addition on top of this hill.
I have the main walls all glued together now,and will start painting them next.

And this is the back wall that will be mostly covered by the embankment behind it.
And that will get the wooden addition added to the back wall of it.

That's it for now.
I just wanted to let you know that work is still progressing slowly here on Magoun Pier.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 09/20/2013 10:58:08 AM

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  4:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another great Tribute Greg, way to go!
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  4:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another great tribute in the making.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  5:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fabulous idea, Greg! Make sure to include a slide rule section somewhere!

Pete
in MIchigan

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  6:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Remember real mathematicians don't use calculators.

Ron Newby
General Manager

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  8:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, I've been out of town, so I'm just catching up here. I'm very impressed with your pier. Not just the size, but the workmanship and finish. That roof is very impressive. I'm looking forward to watching you progress with Testard's Mathematical Instruments.

George

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  08:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Can't wait to see you work your magic on this one.
Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  09:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Just a thought about the chimneys for this kit. Are you planning install them where they are shown on the picture. While it looks dramatic on the pictures their location makes no sense to me as chimneys are not normally located at the front of a building and put in front of windows and doors. It looks to me that the first chimney is going in front if a blocked off window on the second floor which indicated that there must be a forge or something on the second floor (not where I would put one). Looking at the size of the chimney there will need to quite the structure required to support it. The second chimney looks like it is going in front of the loading doors, which would make them quite useless with the boiler sitting in front of it.

Take it for what it worth, it is just my construction background talking (the building will look cool where ever you pot the chimneys.

Ron Newby
General Manager

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  10:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elwoodblues

Greg,

Just a thought about the chimneys for this kit. Are you planning install them where they are shown on the picture. While it looks dramatic on the pictures their location makes no sense to me as chimneys are not normally located at the front of a building and put in front of windows and doors. It looks to me that the first chimney is going in front if a blocked off window on the second floor which indicated that there must be a forge or something on the second floor (not where I would put one). Looking at the size of the chimney there will need to quite the structure required to support it. The second chimney looks like it is going in front of the loading doors, which would make them quite useless with the boiler sitting in front of it.

Take it for what it worth, it is just my construction background talking (the building will look cool where ever you pot the chimneys.

Thanks Ralph,Ron,Pete,George & Bob for checking out what I'm working on & for your posts!

Ron,you & I are of the same mind,when it comes to those 2 chimneys.
They certainly add interest in the promotional photo's on the box.
I think I'm not going to use them at all,instead a larger stack off to one side of the factory perhaps.
Thanks for your thoughts about this Ron!

Greg

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  10:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, for us old guys maybe there should be a pencil and paper division.

Why is it kit builders overlook the obvious, those chimneys look great but are architecturally so incorrect. Wise choice Greg.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  02:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, I feel honored by what you say and what you do. I'll watch you unfold this project with the strongest interest.
I have had some O scale squares laser cut for the school of my Amazonian village. It would not be too hard to reduce the scale and have some done for you if you're interested, as well maybe as a few compasses from the 'circling division' of the company.

Page: of 74 Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000