Railroad Line Forums - Magoun Pier
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software
Page: of 74

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  5:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg great photo's and great work.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  6:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Looks great Greg!

By the way - Did I see an LED light string inside the terminal- reminiscent of what's used on a Christmas tree?

Thanks! Carl & Jerry.

Carl, yes that's exactly what I used, don't you remember? You told me back then, that you also had one very much like this one that I used.

Greg

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  6:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mean, last August when I said.....

I have one of those garden center "string of lights" as well standing by...

OOps, sorry

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  7:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, no problem! I constantly find myself trying to remember if I said something already...or... what were we talking about again?

Greg

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  7:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, that's cheating.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  9:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have finally built the fabled loop, now making it possible to run trains from one side of the pier too the opposite side of the pier.
So much more fun! Way better than ahead 2 feet back up 2 feet.
Now I can use all of my switches, and move cars around.
Here are the first engines to try out the new tracks.
Even the Magoun pier band showed up with their instruments & even their own bandstand, to help celebrate this milestone.

All of that new real estate looks tempting, but I'm not planning on filling any of it up.
I just wanted to be able to run trains on the Doubleheaders layout tour on April 2nd. This new loop is just clamped to the pier on one side, and the other side is being held up by my camera tripod right now.
So I've got to figure out how I'm going to get this thing so I can remove it attach it easily.
I built a 1"x4" support framework below the plywood you see in the photo.
I was thinking of cutting out the center of the plywood to make it lighter.
That way I might be able to use carriage bolts to attach this to the other larger piece.
And not have to put any additional legs under it, so I could still move it around when needed.
It will be nice to hear what others think about this.
Thanks for having a look!

Greg

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  9:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Is that the infamous "Do Loop" I keep hearing about?

Pete
in Michigan

Bruce Scott
Section Hand

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  11:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truly awesome.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  06:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, WONDERFUL !! It must be fun to run a train on your fantastic diorama. I can even hear that band playing..

You asked for suggestions,......... Here's mine.

First of all, if you truly are NOT going to fill that space with more great models (and I really
do not believe that) then I think cutting out the inner area is the way to go. I will make the
whole thing lighter and easier to handle and also it will eliminate thousands of questions
from onlookers.

However, think of all the neat structures you could fit into that space.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  08:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Here I was thinking you might be getting loopy working so much on the fort diorama, but it's Magoun Pier instead! :)

What will Magoun Pier eventually connect to? And how much do you anticipate needing to move it and the loop around until then? Cutting out the middle of the loop will lighten the plywood, but won't make it any smaller to store. A coat of concrete paint, some cracks drawn in, weeds here and there and you have a large temporary lot for storing commodities that don't need to be inside the warehouse. The state pier near here is often covered with stacks of lumber and I think at one time it had a giant pile of road salt - no structures needed. But the middle of the loop could also act as an area to try out scenes with other structures you'll build even if not connected to the pier. Admittedly it also might be a place to collect clutter.

If you do cut out the middle, you might leave enough margin around the inner track so that if the loop accidentally gets bumped during the tour your engines and cars won't easily go to the floor.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  10:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good suggestions, Bob and Bill....

Where's the "Agree" button???

Pete
in Michigan

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  10:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, quite an elaborate solution for moving materials from one side of the warehouse to the other!

It does sound like a lot more fun vs. moving ahead two feet and back, like you said. Nice job, Greg!

Chuck

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  10:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Pete, Bruce, Bob & Bill, for your posts & thoughts.

Pete, I'm not familiar with this "Do Loop" that you keep hearing about. I guess that makes me out of da loop.

Bruce, glad you like what I'm doing here!

Bob, as much fun as it would be to fill up this new loop, with even more structures.
I just can't see this happening for a couple of reasons, (1) I built Magoun pier with the idea of it being a portable section that could be displayed at shows. I can easily fit it in the back seats of my truck, by turning it sideways.
If it had structures all over it, I could not transport it all in one truck.
(2) This loop as small as it is, now takes up what little space I have left in my workshop area. The day of the layout tour, I'm planning on moving this whole display into our laundry room, where people can at least move around it there for viewing. It would not be possible to display this to the public in my workshop space.
So as you can see, I'm between a rock and a small space to work in.

Bill, your right I am going loopy! Working on 2 projects at the same time is a bit troublesome.
When I'm working on Fort York, I think about Magoun pier and the upcoming layout tour.
When I'm working on Magoun pier, I'm thinking about getting Fort York completed and out of my front parlour in a timely fashion.
My original plan was to put all projects on hold until Fort York was completed.
Then I was asked If I would be willing to display Magoun pier on the Doubleheaders tour.
And that decision to do so, has put the pier back on my plate of things to do again.
And regarding your concern about cars or engines falling from the loop, I'm going to add a thin wooden lip around the outside and the inside of the loop. To keep things like that from happening.

Thanks for your interest & thoughts guys, I really appreciate them!

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  10:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Wow, quite an elaborate solution for moving materials from one side of the warehouse to the other!

It does sound like a lot more fun vs. moving ahead two feet and back, like you said. Nice job, Greg!

Chuck

Sorry Chuck, I missed your post while I was answering the others.
I agree with your statement about it being an elaborate solution for moving materials from one side of the terminal to the other.
Nevertheless, it has made Magoun pier way more fun to operate, and much more like a real layout.
The loop is my new staging area.

Greg

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  12:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, You know, if you work it right, you could save that piece you're cutting from inside the
loop and then at a later date you could make it fit back in place full of outstanding structures.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Page: of 74 Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000