Railroad Line Forums - Magoun Pier
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software
Page: of 74

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2016 :  8:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I see the World's Coolest Beer Truck rounding the corner in the distance. We gots us a PAR-tee, folks!!

Pete
in Michigan

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2016 :  8:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Never knew I was so cheerful.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2016 :  12:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As usual you never disappoint us. Beautiful work on that brick work.

And nice naming the tugboat after Mike.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2016 :  05:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, every photo you post looks better and better. The detail you have included makes for a
very life-like diorama. OUTSTANDING !!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2016 :  06:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, You cobbled ithat all together very nicely! The paving seems to have brought out the town to checkout the waterfront and the M.L. Hamer.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2016 :  09:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! For your posts Pete, Dallas, Jerry, Bob & Bill.

Here is a B&W photo with a little more action happening on the street.

Greg

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 02/16/2016 :  9:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

When Greg informed me that he wanted to name the tug after me, I was thrilled and humbled at the same time. This is what I wrote to Greg.

"I am deeply honoured to have the tugboat named after me. I must say that it is quiet fitting as well. As a modeler, like you, I try to guide others in a positive manner, just as that tug shepherds the big ships to the safety of their berth in the harbour. Tugs are very hard-working, something that all my colleagues at my school and my family and friends would say of me. I've always said that if you want something done - ask a busy person! This type of vessel is small in stature, yet strong in determination. Well, I'm 5'4" yet I've always held a positive determination in all endeavours I undertake."

Again, much thanks, Greg! I'll look forward to seeing "our" tug work the waters around Magoun Pier!

PS. My parents named me Michael Lawrence Hamer. Michael after my maternal grandfather and Lawrence because my dad liked the name. When I was a little boy, I thought that the the map makers named the mighty St. Lawrence River after me! Isn't it funny the thoughts we have as kids!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  07:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike, I'm happy to see that you have had a chance to see your tribute tug!
Just my way of saying thanks, for being such a great & positive member here at RRLines.
Your tug will be kept very busy doing work around the pier.
So busy, that I might need to add a twin tug to join you one day.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  4:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I had a little more time this past weekend to do a bit more work on the pier.
I was getting tired of seeing those empty bays on the large terminal building.
So I filled those up with some details on both sides.
I only left 2 doors open on each side, so it allows you to see a bit of the interior of this large structure.
Here are some pics showing both sides that I detailed.

I wanted to show you those photo's before I showed you what I did on the inside.
I made up 2 L shaped bases, that had some mirror glued to the back of the base.
I thought this would help me double the amount of details that I needed to use in there.
I also cut my little cargo wagons and vehicle to pull them in half.
I then glued those right onto the mirror, to make them look like they were whole.
The mirror I had was not the right kind of mirror for this kind of illusion, but it fooled my wife and daughters when I showed them this interior.
And I wanted to see if you guys noticed what I did before I showed you the mirrors.
Here is how the inside looked from above.

That's all I wanted to show you for now.
Thanks for having a look.

Greg

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  4:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, It all looks real good. What you really needed is called a "First Surface Mirror". I
used two years ago in my aircraft assembly line diorama. When you use them you do not see the
thickness of the glass making the mirror. Since in your case you are only looking straight on it
does eliminate most of the problem.

So, you are making the pier look better and better but don't be bashful, we all want to see
how you're doing on the BIG diorama. How about it???

Cheers,
Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  5:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ugh. I just soldered together three light fixtures for my current project. I can't imagine all the ones you have in there. But, they are showing off the great details you added, Greg. I really like the train of carts.

Chuck

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  5:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

Greg, It all looks real good. What you really needed is called a "First Surface Mirror". I
used two years ago in my aircraft assembly line diorama. When you use them you do not see the
thickness of the glass making the mirror. Since in your case you are only looking straight on it
does eliminate most of the problem.

So, you are making the pier look better and better but don't be bashful, we all want to see
how you're doing on the BIG diorama. How about it???

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks Bob!

Yes that's the name of the type of mirror "First Surface Mirror" that I should have used.
I used the other stuff because I had it readily available here at my home.
And like you mentioned it's mostly viewed from straight on anyways, and it did fool my family.

The Fort York project is coming along, lots of Styrofoam being cut and glued down.
Not really thinking of photo's when I'm working on it.
I will show you something when I've got something to show, other than Styrofoam elevations and dry creeks.
I spent last Wednesday at Fort York doing more research on structures that I need to build.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  5:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Ugh. I just soldered together three light fixtures for my current project. I can't imagine all the ones you have in there. But, they are showing off the great details you added, Greg. I really like the train of carts.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!
Yes lighting can be a real pain sometimes, but when you see the finished results it's all worth it.

Greg

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  5:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, you really are packing in the details and they look great. Bob is right, with the viewing angle sharply restricted and the dim lighting, the thickness of that mirror won't (doesn't) show. If you put another mirror facing that one and positioned against the inside of the warehouse exterior wall you can create that infinite room scene like Raiders of the Lost Ark's Hangar 51
http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Hangar_51?file=400.jpg :)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  5:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill!
I thought about adding mirrors to the other walls, I had enough of it to do that.
And after seeing that warehouse 51 photo that you provided the link for, I should have just used that as an interior backdrop, and forget the mirrors.

Greg

Page: of 74 Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000