Railroad Line Forums - Magoun Pier
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software
Page: of 74

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  09:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg and Ralph, when my great grand parents came over from England / Scotland and Germany they went SOUTH of the St. Laurence River.

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  10:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg--just totally awesome. The night scene is so alive I feel I am there. Great work and thanks for sharing. Love the gulls...

TomO

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  7:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your posts! Ralph, Frank & Tom.

Ralph, yes it has been awhile. How is your layout coming along? You have not added anything to your thread on it, for awhile now.

Frank, sounds like your grandparents were world travellers, even before they headed to the states.

Tom, I'm glad you like what I'm doing with the place.

Greg

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  10:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Had, fingers crossed, a major back problem and then my weathering got in the way. I'm hoping to get back to it soon!
Thanks for asking.
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  11:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CN6401

Greg,
Had, fingers crossed, a major back problem and then my weathering got in the way. I'm hoping to get back to it soon!
Thanks for asking.
Ralph

Ralph, sorry to read about your back problem. I look forward to seeing you return to work on your layout!

I had a chance to take a couple more night photos on the pier tonight. I'm still trying to get the other crane lights working. It will be neat to see all 3 of them lit up like the first one I've completed.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 01/22/2016 12:10:53 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  01:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great busy night scenes, Greg. You can almost hear the sound of the machines filling or emptying the ship.

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  07:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the night scenes a lot.

Bryan

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  07:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Go ahead and make me feel bad about my poor photography skills, I won't hold it against you.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  07:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Frederic, Bryan & Bob.

Bob, the key to night photography is using a tripod to keep your camera nice and steady.
I have never thought of your night photo's of being poor in quality.
So if your not using a tripod try using one next time.

Greg

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  4:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Greg. The only thing missing is a couple of secret agents uncovering an international ring of espionage!

Jeff

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  5:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is just looking awesome.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  6:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Very impressive. I'm learning a lot from your project and really enjoy seeing something new to me. Your photos are superb.
Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  4:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg, love those night scenes even if your layout has "gone to the birds"! Every angle you select offers us fabulous views of the pier with all its activity. Truly outstanding work in all regards.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2016 :  1:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your kind words & posts, Jeff, Jerry, Michael and Mike.
I have been up at our cottage the last couple of days removing snow from the roof.
We got home last night, but I was to tired last night to respond to them until now.

Jeff, I like that idea of secret agents being on the pier somewhere.
They will need to get past Don Reed the security guard now on active duty.

Jerry, always nice to read what you are thinking about my work. Thanks for that!

Michael, glad to read that I'm teaching someone something! And thank you for your nice words about my photography.

Mike, I'm happy that you enjoy the night scenes!
And even though this layout only measures 3'feet by 6'feet it does seem to offer me a lot of angles to shoot it from. I can't wait until I finally get this outside to photograph one day.

I thought I'd now show you how I fit the two N8105 power distribution boards, and the two 9 volt batteries needed to run the 4 LED's inside of each crane.

At first I was thinking that I would only need one distribution board and one 9 volt battery for each crane.
I soon discovered that the power distribution uses about 5 volts to power it alone, without any LED's hooked up to it.
This only left about 4 volts to power the 4 LED's that I wanted to use.
I could get 3 of the 4 LED's to work with the remaining power, but they worked at about half brightness.
With just 2 of the LED's hooked up to one board, they worked at full brightness.
So I decided to use 2 power distribution boards and two 9 volt batteries to light up these cranes.
Luckily their was enough room inside of the crane to still fit them all in.
And not interfere with the cranes cables or the placement of the 3 roof panels.

Greg

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2016 :  2:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, The batteries set in there nicely and the photos show the lighting was worth the extra fitting. Now for those secret agents...Maxwell Smart & Agent 99 or Jonathan Steed & Mrs Peel?

Page: of 74 Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000