Railroad Line Forums - Magoun Pier
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 140 ]  [ Total: 143 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software
Page: of 74

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  9:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Greg on your layout!

Looks great...What will we be carving into that drywall mud?

Oh, and I like the sound of "Alessi Lighthouse constructors on top of the embankment"

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  10:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much guys!

Pete, my basement hobby room has become a symphony of sounds, when I fire up Magoun Pier.
Even my cats think I have a flock of sea gulls in that room.

James, it is good to do some running of trains, even if it is only back & forth. I need to build that loop, so I can have a longer back & forth.

Dallas, I've been thinking about how to glue a tortoise switch machine to the foam, for under your shop and get that cat working, once and for all. I'm still thinking.

Carl, this is only the second layout that I've ever built for myself.
40 years between them, so it's been a long time coming.
Most of the pier surface will be scribed (expansion joints & cracks) to look like a concrete surface.
Between the tracks I was thinking about carving it to look like cobble stones or something like that.

Thanks again guys!

Here are a few more photo's that I took this evening.
Sorry about the lousy backdrops.

Greg

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  10:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Dallas, I've been thinking about how to glue a tortoise switch machine to the foam, for under your shop and get that cat working, once and for all. I'm still thinking.

Think I've dealt with a similar problem before:

-- Problem: The foam is not "hard" ... so the switch machine does not have a firm base ... and the spring action will be effected ... and eventually (or sooner!) misfire and/or affect the mounting of the switch machine ... (does that make enough sense or do I need to try to explain / diagram it better?)

-- Solution: Glue a large sheet of "solid something" to the foam (underside of layout) in the desired location. "Solid something" = sturdy plastic, masonite, basswood, etc. Drill thru for operating lever. Mount switch machine. Any movement of the switch machine will be stabilized by the much larger foot print of the solid something doo-hickey thingamabopper ...

New shots look good!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Edited by - dallas_m on 07/20/2015 10:43:42 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  11:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dallas_m

quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Think I've dealt with a similar problem before:

-- Problem: The foam is not "hard" ... so the switch machine does not have a firm base ... and the spring action will be effected ... and eventually (or sooner!) misfire and/or affect the mounting of the switch machine ... (does that make enough sense or do I need to try to explain / diagram it better?)

-- Solution: Glue a large sheet of "solid something" to the foam (underside of layout) in the desired location. "Solid something" = sturdy plastic, masonite, basswood, etc. Drill thru for operating lever. Mount switch machine. Any movement of the switch machine will be stabilized by the much larger foot print of the solid something doo-hickey thingamabopper ...

New shots look good!

Hey Dallas, thanks for your thoughts regarding my switch machine to foam problem.
I will try gluing the Masonite square to the foam, and mounting the machine to that.
I knew you would have the answer!

Greg

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  06:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope it's not too late to add my WOWto this string. What a great looking setup, Greg.
Can't wait to see it as it grows to completion.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  08:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Sorry for being late to the WOWs, the tide was against me and the wind died. WOW!! That's WOW!! for the super shots of the pier and its surrounds, and WOW!! for getting trains running too!
One idea, instead of carving brittle, crumbly joint compound for the paving, I saw a technique using DAS air drying molding clay.
http://www.michaels.com/das-modeling-clay/M10130210.
The clay was pressed out in place for the paving surface and the cobblestones were made by repeatedly stamping the clay with a simple tool: a short piece of appropriate size square brass tube with one end slightly sharpened and the other end stuck into a cork for a handle, one stone at a time. The results looked fantastic, and if you are only doing a small area, doable without going crazy.
http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=2127.msg44023#msg44023
Another option: most HO scale brick sheets are oversize, closer in size to paving stones.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  09:06:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, how about some overhead shots so we can get an idea of its entirety. You are definitely a peer of piers.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  09:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Greg, how about some overhead shots so we can get an idea of its entirety. You are definitely a peer of piers.

What Frank said. Let's see the big picture!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  12:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh-Oh!!!

The peer pressure (or is it pier pressure??) kicks in!

Photos, please!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  1:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a riddle: Who's modeling is both peerless and not pier-less?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  5:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, if I added moor pier/peer puns would I get docked for piling it on? Wharf! Wharf! Wharf!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  10:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys! Thanks for your interest and posts!
I've been away all day, and just fired up the computer, to read & enjoy all of your messages.
So here we go!

Bob, my friend. You are never late, you always arrive at exactly at the right time.
And I wish you could see the smile on my face, when I get a WOW from great modellers like yourself & others here!

Bill, always a pleasure to have your Tattooed body show up at one of my "Late Wow Parties"
And just for the record, I happen to like carving brittle, crumbly joint compound!
Though I suppose I should expand my horizons and try something new.
I saw something on Pinterest showing what you are describing using DAS modeling clay.
Even had the square tube for stamping the pattern.
And your right it did look fantastic!
Problem is... I've got a pail of drywall mud sitting on the floor right under my layout table that's calling my name. Can you hear it?

Frank, I just sit down after a long day, and you want more pictures. Bigger pictures of the entire scene!
Well alright then, here you go!
Please excuse the mess in my workshop, and don't tell my wife I just said that.

Jerry, your starting to sound a awful lot like Frank.
So demanding!

Pete, now your joining in asking for more!

Michael, I haven't a clue.

And then Tattooing Bill comes back in again for another pun jab in my back!
Bill, you've been sent here to "Pun"ish me for all of my past puns here haven't you.

Thanks again guys!

Greg

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2015 :  11:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg;, I still don't see any lights on at Nilsoon's. No pun intended,
just saying'...
As stated by many, BEAUTIFUL layout.....Congratulations on your excellent workmanship'...

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  05:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Bob is late to the party what am I then?

Superlatives won't cut it Greg! It looks fantastic and its great that you have trains running. The pier is huge and it is interesting to see how the buildings and the vessels dwarf the trains.

Its great you also have discovered the Wow sound decoders. The sound really is WOW. The running of the train is also much more realistic. I played for hours using the brakes and trying to run it somewhat as the real thing. I really like the sound when you go with a open throttle and apply the brakes and hear the loco go to a somewhat strangled stop.
The only drawback with the decoder I think is that one can't adjust the Back-EMF. I have a loco that runs a little erratic when crawling and it would have been great to be able to tweak it to run perfectly.

Cheers!
Håkan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  07:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, The overall scenes give a good sense of the overall size of Magoun Pier, and the track level views are super!
Since you already have a pail of joint compound and like carving it, here's a little experiment you might try: After carving a small sample of the compound, saturate it with some kind of acrylic medium and see how that works for eliminating the crumblies of the ordinary dry compound. I haven't tried that specifically, but I have added matte medium to Elmer's Wood Filler and Sculptamold. That made each stick together better and to the different materials I was trying to blend together and the wood filler hasn't swelled or shrunk over time like it sometimes does straight out of the container around here when the humidity changes markedly. Matte medium, the floor care product formerly known as 'Future', or even the CAF (Concrete Acrylic Fortifier) that Ed Traxler has been using recently instead of white glue should work depending on what you have. All of these will add a bit of sheen to the piece, but that can be easily covered with acrylic paint which adheres well to any of those mediums.

Page: of 74 Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000