Railroad Line Forums - Magoun Pier
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Magoun Pier
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software
Page: of 74

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  11:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks fantastic, Greg! Great colours.

Cheers, Mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  4:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, for the nice comments!
I'm starting the lighting this evening, hope to post some pics with the lights on soon.

Greg

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  7:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg. I'll be standing by with candle power until
you light up''''...

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/14/2015 :  02:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
special thanks for posting

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2015 :  6:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Great looking diorama. Did I miss something; why do you not have track entering the building?

Also, what color did you use for the terminal structure

Thanks

John

Edited by - jaynjay on 05/17/2015 09:04:18 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2015 :  12:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This "terminal" diorama doesnít mean youíre done with building does it?

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2015 :  12:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaynjay

Greg,
Great looking diorama. Did I miss something; why do you not have track entering the building?

Also, what color did you use for the terminal structure

Thanks

Thanks for the nice comments from everyone!

John, that was just me trying different track positions out in the beginning.
I currently have no track running into the terminal building.
As to the colour I used on the terminal building, I think it was Tester's light sea gray in a spray can. I then gave the walls some A&I washes.
For the copper patina on the roof I used Floquil"s dark green & Reefer white mixed together until I had the desired shade of green.

Frank,I still have one or two more structure ideas for this display before I finally run out of space here at Magoun Pier.
I don't have any plans of stopping my structure building enjoyment after this project is completed.
I hope when it does finally come too the end for me, that they will have to pry the modelers knife, from my cold dead hand.

Greg Shinnie

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  08:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Love the ships and boats. Do you have any construction threads on any of the Sylvan ships?

John

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  10:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John!
Yes... I did do build threads on both of my Sylvan ships, that you can view in these threads shown below.

First, the largest "R.A.SANTOS" Laker Class ship/tramp steamer
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40030

Second, the "Langell Boys" Great lakes lumber boat.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28906

Greg

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  11:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's going to be one neat dio when you get the water in and the place all lit up. I'm really interested to see what you do with the lighting on this one.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2015 :  12:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg that is looking awesome. I can only image what the lighting and final details will do to this on this one.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  6:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a little late in saying this.
Thanks for your posts Kris & Jerry!

After 27 years of living in this old house, I finally have trains running in my basement on Magoun Pier!

I finally got some track down and my Digitrax Zephyr system hooked up and operating!

Since I plan on spreading drywall mud all over the surface of the pier, I decided to keep the track as simple as possible.
So I decided to run 2 straight tracks down either side of the pier.
Two tracks running under the 2 travelling cranes on the side where the R.A.SANTOS is docked.
And on the other side, one track under the travelling crane and one track to the terminal building.

I bought a WOW sound decoder for my 080 engine.
First I said wow at the price of it, got it home and installed it into the tender, and then said WOW at the sound of it.
Last time I bought a sound decoder was about 15 years ago when I bought a Soundtraxx decoder for my consolidation engine shown below.

Now having the 2 curved switches on the ends does not allow me a lot of train movements yet.
So I am also planning to build a section that I can attach and remove from this pier display.
That will allow me to run trains too either side of this pier.
My original plan was to have a roadway that ran across all of the tracks on both sides of the pier.
That has changed now due to the size of Nilsson Sailmakers.
So I'm now turning the street into a dead end street, with Nilsson at the end of the street.
And the 2 tracks at the end of the street will not be crossing the roadway.
That way my crossing tower guard only has to keep an eye on the first 2 tracks that actually cross the roadway.

I also decided to move the elevated crossing tower across the street from where I had planned to place it originally.
And I have moved Testard Mathematical Instruments a bit further down the street from it's original spot.
And then moved Alessi Lighthouse constructors on top of the embankment to the opposite side it sat on.
And I still have plans to squeeze in one or two more smaller structures yet.
I'm going to work on getting that drywall mud down next I think.
So I can begin to carve the mud when it has dried, that's going to be very messy process.
Just thought I'd let you see that I'm still working on this project.

Thanks for looking!
Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 07/20/2015 6:54:50 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  6:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I need to say "WOW!!!" just looking at this! Very nicely done, my friend! Very nicely done!

Good to know that you have track, trains and sound running now. This is a Major Motivator, but be careful-- it's tempting to just kick back and listen to the trains moving around. Don't ask how I know this!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  7:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's good to see you able to do some running, Greg.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  8:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

And I need to say "WOW!!!" just looking at this! Very nicely done, my friend! Very nicely done!

Easier to copy-n-paste then try to think of another way of saying the same!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Page: of 74 Previous Topic: Bar Mills HO Cundy Harbor Dock House Topic Next Topic: Xn-view software  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000