Railroad Line Forums - Cielo Vista Railway: a new chapter
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Cielo Vista Railway: a new chapter
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Looking for a O scale modler Topic Next Topic: BLI 2-8-0  RGS ON30
Page: of 37

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  10:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. I feel so much better now with a fresh start. It just never pays to build on a foundation that is not 100%, there.

Going to lay out the paths for tracks with an eye on improving things and doing them differently. I will handlaid again, but a little differently. I will be sure to do a SBS and show how I have done them differently than the first time around.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  10:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthur, congratulations on your new start.
Good looking base you have there.
Will be a pleasure watching you build this layout.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  6:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick.

Today, inspiration struck. One of the things that bothered me about the old version was that the big EH was in the foreground, blocking a good size of real estate behind it from any sensible development.

Had a sudden inspiration- I know there's a lot of crossings and switches, but I think there is a certain flow to it, no?

It puts the EH in the background.. allowing me to develop the foreground with smaller structures.

Arthur

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  7:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the new start, Arthur. I've started over a few times and it's never easy but always feels good once you get on with it. I agree with you about the plywood. I only use foam for scenery. That does seem like a lot of crossings for a backwoods narrow gauge line but I like the idea of putting the big engine house in back.

Dave

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney

http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com

on2rails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  7:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit on2rails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arthur, congrats on your new start. I know just how you feel and in some cases wish I did a few things differently. One being that I wish I would have kept my original design and incorporated the x-over I had planned. This would have allowed a better flow to what I have. Looking forward to seeing more.

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  7:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Arthur what do you think about two left switches to the enginehouse where the diamonds are, (don't know if youve the room from one left to split again to the 'house)then the switch this side of those two could be a right to take your engines over to the right/foreground track, then this side of that righthander leaves the left diverging toward us that you have drawn on the bench near the little building,...
Best I can .02 w/o seeing the rest of the track plan,...

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

Edited by - ironflyer on 08/21/2013 7:31:01 PM

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  7:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cross overs are a clever way to put the EH in the back, but they eat up real estate in their own way.

Having that up front with smaller structures in the back could add some depth to the scene. If you needed to go taller, you could put in a crane.

Any chance of going down another wall?

Bryan

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  09:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

The cross overs are a clever way to put the EH in the back, but they eat up real estate in their own way.

Having that up front with smaller structures in the back could add some depth to the scene. If you needed to go taller, you could put in a crane.

Any chance of going down another wall?

I don't mind that the tracks eat up real estate as long as it is open.

I think I would prefer the EH in the background, as it would help conceal how short it is to the backdrop.

Also I plan to put the SW wood shed and tool shed in the foreground on those spurs to the right. SW structures are foreground models, don't you think?

Arthur

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  09:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ironflyer

So Arthur what do you think about two left switches to the enginehouse where the diamonds are, (don't know if youve the room from one left to split again to the 'house)then the switch this side of those two could be a right to take your engines over to the right/foreground track, then this side of that righthander leaves the left diverging toward us that you have drawn on the bench near the little building,...
Best I can .02 w/o seeing the rest of the track plan,...

I'm sorry, you'll have to draw me a picture. I sometimes am not the sharpest tool in the toolbox.

Arthur

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  12:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
More mocking.

I changed the switch towards the last spur to the far right to a #4 wye, to reduce the stress on the curve towards the EH.

Arthur

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  5:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Arthur,..sorry, I can't ink it up, I think Lars is still vacationing-but if he could interpret it I know he could mark it up, going out for a bike ride- I'll think on it and find an easier explanation,...

Paul

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  9:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we go, looking at your photo, enginehouse sits back left, in front of us picture just the two parallel tracks- the left one goes past the shacks and past the enginehouse, the right hand(your foreground track) runs from where we are standing up to the right side of a foundation you have at it's end,
Ready? Picture in the left trackage four switches,.from us 1,2,3,4,....we're going to work back toward us,....the third and fourth switches along, are lefts and they leave to the enginehouse stalls, no crossovers.
The second switch is a right, that leads to your foreground track meeting it before the foundation,..so you can runaround that end of the foreground track,..
And the first switch of the four-closest to us-is a left with the diverge coming toward us to meet your foreground track right in front of us- and this 'first' switch sits near your work shed and is placed where you have it drawn on the layout.

I hope this explains it, I can do a diagram tomorrow to post if need be. I like the home you have for it there to build on, can't wait to follow along and see it!
And oh yeah, you're sharper than any tool we got hanging here my friend

Paul

Edited by - ironflyer on 08/22/2013 9:46:43 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  11:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthur,
I just have my phone so no mark ups until I get back from vacation. I get what Paul is saying and I think it is more prototypical. I have been playing with some sharp turnouts for a secret project that might help.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  06:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that the SW structures would make fine foreground models. The EH behind them will make for a nice scene.

Bryan

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 08/24/2013 :  12:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lurking......Seagrove Florid all a week

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: Looking for a O scale modler Topic Next Topic: BLI 2-8-0  RGS ON30  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000