Railroad Line Forums - HO Pulleys
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: fd ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 HO Pulleys
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rusty Stumps - Reed&DeYoung Tobacconists Shop Topic Next Topic: New South River Modelworks kit annnounced  

Ray46
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  5:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some HO scale pulleys for a Ball Signal I plan on constructing. (I know they can be purchased but would like to try this as a scratch building project) I thought about using tube and rod styrene but I haven't tried it yet. Does anyone have any ideas?

Ray

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  6:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray,
I have scratchbuilt pulleys using styrene discs made with a small punch. I make three discs, two that are the outer diameter and a smaller one from thicker styrene. I then sandwhich the smaller disc between the two larger discs.

Jeff Betcher

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  6:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some pictures:

I use a small triangle file to refine the shape and the middle part of the pulley.

The quality of the pictures wasn't as good as I thought but I think they get the idea across.

Hope this helps,

Jeff Betcher

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  7:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  7:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Jeff, I for one think your method is outstanding. And, this is a build I will remember for the future when it comes to needing any type of pulley. Thanks for sharing and posting your idea!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  7:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Yes! Thank you
Mike M

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  11:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, I am spoilt.....I got a Unimat, lathe to turn any size I want/need from brass or aluminum...BUT this is a quick way of make some fast....what do you use to make the disks with? Hole punch, "center" ?????

Edited by - EM-1 on 08/07/2013 11:17:50 PM

Wallace
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  11:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clamp a brass rod in a hand-drill, which has been held by a bench vise. As the rod turns, hold a hack-saw or Zona saw blade against it to cut a groove as deep as you want. Mark the center of rotation on the end; (a small nub will indicate this when you cut off the grooved piece). Drill for the shaft. Side-plates can be made from sheet brass.
I have a lathe, but that's too expensive. I have made many "turnings" from the rod-in-a-hand-drill method.

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  12:03:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. I use anything that gives me a disc the size I want. A leather punch works well, a hole punch, a piece of aluminum tube that has been sanded on the end on the outside to sharpen the sides. The key is to try to make the discs as clean as possible. Any fine tuning can be done with a file.

Jeff

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  01:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank God for needle files.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  02:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wallace, Jeff,
I use a drill at times as well.....Reason? ALWAYS comes a time, to make a turning that's small when the lathe is occupied OR the Unimat is set up for machine milling of some sort!!!Never seems to fail, either....I'd love for the very reason to pick up another Unimat, one to be set up as a Lathe, and one always sat up as a Mill.......

Good little tools tho, no matter how old, as long as they are still "true"

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  07:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pulley on this cage boom was built by cutting a styrene tube into a U shape, adding sliced styrene rod for the sheave and pinning it with a smaller diameter rod. I can't remember where the hook came from.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

Ray46
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  10:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the info and photos. It's obvious that it can be done by hand (I have no lathe) and I shall give it a shot.

Ray

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  10:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just goes to show that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Jeff

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  6:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chester

The pulley on this cage boom was built by cutting a styrene tube into a U shape, adding sliced styrene rod for the sheave and pinning it with a smaller diameter rod. I can't remember where the hook came from.

I've been pondering a way to scratchbuild a pillar crane like the one that originally came with the old Revell 2 stall engine house.....This is inspiring!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2013 :  2:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is some tiny work Jeff! Thank you for the tip.

Håkan

Previous Topic: Rusty Stumps - Reed&DeYoung Tobacconists Shop Topic Next Topic: New South River Modelworks kit annnounced  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000