Railroad Line Forums - Bachmann Climax Gear Repair - How To
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 51 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Bachmann Climax Gear Repair - How To
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cardigan Bay Coastal Railroad..part 2... Topic Next Topic: Door handles in O scale  

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  1:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will start in a reply to allow for editing.
My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  2:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It appears Bachmann sent out complete trucks to some folks and others got a bag of gears.

If you did not receive the trucks do not worry this fix is really easy.

First you lucky dogs who got full trucks do not need any tools to make this fix.

You gently pull off the old trucks.

You attach the drive line from the new truck to the motor drive line and snap the truck back in place.

Send your old trucks to me.... I have a project in mind

If you just got gears this is the fix.

Here are the parts I got. It is possible you will need two of the parts I am pointing at with the red line. Only one was included in the package.

Gently pull off the trucks.

1) Remove the three screws and keep in a safe place.
2) Slide the breaks back to release the bar that connects the breaks on the side that covers the drive line.
3) remove the bar

Determine which gears are cracked, it will be one of the gears marked in red. Let's hope only one truck has a cracked gears on the part on the first picture.

You will be able to see the cracks with a magnifying glass or id you gently try to turn the gears on the shaft they will spin.

Replace the drive lines with cracked gears.

Replace the gear cover and three screws

Replace the bar between the brake beams

Reconnect the truck to the drive line and snap the truck in place making sure the electrical contacts on the trucks touch the contact pads on the engine.

Test....

I hope this helps.

My current build:

Edited by - BigLars on 08/10/2013 5:33:11 PM

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  08:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice Larry!
What was Bachmann's intent on sending that empty gearbox, or whatever it is?

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  1:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

Nice Larry!
What was Bachmann's intent on sending that empty gearbox, or whatever it is?

In my best Mr. T voice " I pity the fool who has to try and replace that gear box". If I had to fix a gear in there it would be sent back.

BTW The bag of gears are replacements for every gear in the engine.

My current build:

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  4:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am fixing Climax #2 and put it up an the rollers to see where the problem was.

Note the green line, this shaft was not spinning which meant the problem may not be in the trucks on this unit.

After removing the rear truck as I found that the connection outside the gear box spun freely.

As I stated before I pity the fool who has to open the gear box. This fool started and said no way unless it is a last resort.

I pulled the part with the red arrow from the drive line and applied a small amount of Gorilla ACC inside the shaft hole making sure there was no glue on the outside of the part. I slid the part back on the shaft and let it sit for a half hour. The Climax is fixed.

Note if the glue fails see the part circled in red in the second picture. I will pull this part from the drive line and connect an O ring to it and try that fix.

I also opened up the truck and found one cracked gear in the center shaft and that was replaced. See first set of instructions.

My current build:

Edited by - BigLars on 08/04/2013 4:23:29 PM

Dupesy
New Hire

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  09:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I opened up that gearbox on the bottom on both of my climaxes last evening, as both had a cracked universal on the output shaft. It's not bad at all! Just make sure you get all 8 tiny screws, and slip a small flathead screwdriver in around where the shaft comes out and gently pry it apart. If this knucklehead can do it, I'm sure any of you gents can as well!

man7sell
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  2:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit man7sell's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dupesy

I opened up that gearbox on the bottom on both of my climaxes last evening, as both had a cracked universal on the output shaft. It's not bad at all! Just make sure you get all 8 tiny screws, and slip a small flathead screwdriver in around where the shaft comes out and gently pry it apart. If this knucklehead can do it, I'm sure any of you gents can as well!

I took those 8 screws out and removed the plate too. From what I can see, the main gear on the shaft going across, is not connecting the the first gear. So I get a lot of piston action but no drive out to the shafts. This looks like a different problem on mine. Well it's back in the box for now.

Capt. Paul Mansell
https://crookedmileriver.blogspot.com/2018/11/crooked-mile-river-logging-on30-scale.html

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  10:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New loco, new gears, with new cracks.
The front truck can pull it, reverse the main shaft doesnít turn.
So I think the main shaft spur is cracked at least, maybe a bevel or universal.
NWSL isnít quite up and running it seems as ownership transitions...cool theyíre still with us, I donít know if they ever did gears for these.
Bachmann lists assemblies, full gear sets, and I think uvís.

Anyone know on NWSL? Or gone with Bís gear sets?
I can work the shafts over so I donít split the new stuff.

Thanks!

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  5:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have fixed over 30 of these for people using the replacement Bachmann gears. The five I fixed for myself are all still running.

My current build:

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  5:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, Thanks for that great insight, Iíll get after it.
Iím sure all 35+ are still running well!

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

Edited by - ironflyer on 11/07/2019 5:37:00 PM

Previous Topic: Cardigan Bay Coastal Railroad..part 2... Topic Next Topic: Door handles in O scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000