Railroad Line Forums - My 1:55n3 Civil War layout "Kennesaw 1863"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 234 ]  [ Total: 236 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 My 1:55n3 Civil War layout "Kennesaw 1863"
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Need help on small layout design for 1880s Topic Next Topic: Passing of John Canfield
Page: of 7

Ronald Halma
Section Hand

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  09:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ronald Halma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hminky

Great modeling and makes writing on the web worthwhile. One modeler using an idea makes up for all the criticism of different ideas and there was a lot about 55n3.

Harold

That my friend is the best compliment for this layout!

What I do mostly with my layouts is making a sub-roadbed before laying down the track. So that way the track raises itself above groundlevel. Its very thin, in this case 3 millimeters. You see that I glued down the FastTracks turout plans as base for my tracklaying:

After this step and with a good stash of ties I started the laying of my trackwork. Gluing down hundreds of ties is a lot of work but also fun! I glue each by hand with a thin stripe of white glue:

Then I push the tie in its desired place:

The first pieces of track are down:

Made a plan for the turnouts and cut the desired lenghts:

And working my way over the left module:

Finished it in a few days:

And went on to the right module. There I laid all the ties needed:

The best thing of this layout is that all the turnouts are on the large module. There are 3 of them, later I will show you how to build them and the way I control them.

Overview so far:

I already installed LED light here. I use a colour strip and a warmwhite 5050 strip together. Martin gave me this tip, and so far the lighting is very satisfying for me. You can create all the colour of light you want. From morning upcoming sun to evening red:

My wife is responsible for the Lacy hotel. She offered me to build that one. After making a mockup of paper she started the model, and this is what it looks right now:

The whole thing is and will be build out of coffee stirrers. This is great starting material in the 0N30 scale and also this 1:55 scale. We have several bags of them, here we can buy them very cheap. A bag of 1000 of them cost around 4 dollars.

Later more!

Greetz, Ronald

Edited by - Ronald Halma on 07/31/2013 10:01:29 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  6:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything looks good Ronald!

Curious about the Lacy Hotel, your wife is doing a very good job.
But the wood does not look stained or painted.

What are your plans for it?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  6:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ronald,

I donít know how far you are along but using white glue may be a problem latter on when you do the ballasting and scenery. Since white glue dissolves with water even though the ties are glued down solid now the scenery and ballasting may loosen them. I prefer glue that will withstand wetting such as yellow glue or hot glue. We put down thousands of ties on the Sundance Central with hot glue and after 10 years we havenít lost a one.

Frank

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  7:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Frank, it's all white glue in Europe, Ronalds using the D3 version witch can resists water for a while...don't find any yellow glue here..

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2013 :  7:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting thread .. following with enjoyment. Kennesaw is interesting also in that my 2nd Great Grandfather - Thomas E.D. Traxler was killed at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain in June of 1864 .. planning a trip to make a visit.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  03:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ronald, what a great project; An unusual but very clever scale, an interesting old-timer subject, and already many nice things to display. I'll follow your progress with great interest.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  08:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin and Ronald, here in the States we use Elmerís white glue for scenery and ballast because itís water soluble even after many years. If you want to change a scene, squirt some water on the area, let stand a few minutes and scrape it off with a putty knife. 1-2-3 gone.

Frank

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  10:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ronald, I am fascinated with your project. I love your module design and the lighting. I'll be following along with great interest.

Mark

Ronald Halma
Section Hand

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  10:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ronald Halma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Now I started the staining of the ties. This is done with water stain from the German firm Wenz. It is powder that is mixed with water. I used there grey colour for my ties:

Overview:

After it dried I brushed the ties with a steel brush, after that I "sanded" them with scotch-brite". This gives the ties there used appearance:

And than we started tracklaying. I use code 80 rail from C&S. It is available in England but I bought a bunch from a Dutch guy who had ordered the wrong rail.
Spiking is one with microspikes from Wenz: http://wenz-modellbau.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Store_Shop00671.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop00671/Products/WM0350
These spikes are very fine, i drill by hand a small hole and place the spike with a needle nosed plie. This way I push them in and the last piece I use a small hammer and a screw to drive them in. The gauge pieces are also by Wenz, they hold the track in the correct gauge while spiking:

After that I check my gauge with the NMRA trackgauge:

And checking again with a Kadee H0 truck:

And trying out with a 0N30 Shay:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8FRrYvdCA

And with my (still) soundless 4-4-0:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6gU4MUS6OU

It is satisfying to see a loco running over self-made track.This is my second layout where I build my track this way and it will certainly be not the last one.

More to come!!

Greetz, Ronald

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  11:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice trackwork! The small rail size really comes out when running the locomotive on it.

HŚkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 08/01/2013 11:21:44 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  1:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to put a brown wash on some of those ties. They look awfully grey to me. Remember, no creosote back then, so the look of weathered natural wood ties would be different than heavily weathered creosoted/pressure treated ties. This will get you some more color variation, and you can do this after the rail is in place.

What I'd suggest is buying really cheap oil paints (craft store coupon :-), putting a dab of various browns on a palette (yoghurt container lid). Dip your brush into paint thinner, mix together some oil paint, add some more thinner so it's a very light stain, and brush on a tie. Repeat that process using different intensities/mixtures.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 08/01/2013 1:38:53 PM

Ronald Halma
Section Hand

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  2:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ronald Halma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, thanks for the tip!

The hotel is a little further:

I also build the first stub turnout. Here in a photo serie:

Later I show you how the control works. This was the first one who, what later appeared, was a little too sharp. The 2nd and 3rd where made a little less sharp.

Later more!

Greetz, Ronald

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  10:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron Great looking layout. Very impressed with you hand laid sleepers & track.
Just curious about the scale, as it's very unusual.
How do you go getting figures & vehicles in this size.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Ronald Halma
Section Hand

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  12:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ronald Halma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob, the figures I'm going to use and the vehicles are coming from the 28 mm scale gaming world. There is a whole bunch of manufacturers out there who are producing fine figures and other stuff that matches the 1:55 scale. 28 mm stands for 1:58, so the two are combining very good!

Example from Perry Miniatures:

Handpainted by me with Vallejo acrylic paints.

As extra info; the most of these small factories are settled in the UK.

Later more!

Greetz, Ronald

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  01:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The micro spikes look beautiful ... and your painting on the figures too!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Need help on small layout design for 1880s Topic Next Topic: Passing of John Canfield  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000