Railroad Line Forums - My 1:55n3 Civil War layout "Kennesaw 1863"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 My 1:55n3 Civil War layout "Kennesaw 1863"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Need help on small layout design for 1880s Topic Next Topic: Passing of John Canfield
Page: of 7

Ronald Halma
Section Hand

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  06:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ronald Halma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys!

I registerd for a while on this forum. But didn't do very much. So now I want you to introduce my American Civil War layout that I build last winter.

It is called "Kennesaw 1863" and has the scale 1:55n3. Why I chose this scale? Well, originally I wanted to start in H0 with Bachmann models. But somewhere along the line I stumbled across the website of Harold Minkey who had some good ideas about Narrow Gauge in the 1:55 scale. So I started to compare his idea, I had a 0N30 Bachmann 4-4-0 that was a good starting point according to Harold's idea. I compared it to the Bachmann H0 model and saw the possibility's of this scale:

At that point my decision was made; I would start the new scale! Very strict taken the ACW didn't had narrow gauge, but a fellow Dutch friend of mine did some research and found out that the Confederates had plans for a narrow gauge line here and there. So I took the "modellers licence" and started the layout in the chosen scale.

As base I had already a 3,5 foot module with background. I build a additional one of 2,5 foot so everything could fit the car I have:

Both where put in a base colour:

My goal was to have a neat finish of the layout as it was destined for exhibition work. My friend Milicomarty who is also on this forum helped me out and finished the sides and front with oak fineer which he and I later put in a nice colour:

After he put laquer on them I took them home and did the rounded background in a light blue colour:

For all the stuf around and on the layout the 28mm gaming world is perfect. The scale matches this one so I researched the market very good. I will tell that in the next message! I also will show you how I build my own trackwork and stub turnouts!

Thanks for watching!
Greetz, Ronald

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  09:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ronald,

No fair, you get to work with Martin and his enormous talents and work shop.

Now you’ve set the benchmark pretty high for your self. I’ve never seen the modules finished before the layout. I think you’ve got a good idea there.

Interesting subject matter, will be looking forward to see how this comes along.

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  10:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very nice start! I just returned from the NMRA National Convention in Atlanta's north side. Kennesaw was only about 15 minutes away. One of the most impressive displays at the convention was a full room with a special interest group of civil war railroad dioramas, much like you are building now.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  10:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agree with Frank here, very curious how this project develops!

Welcome Ronald, and your pix so far are great! Please continue
your documentation of this topic.

Looking forward to following along!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  10:15:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ronald,
The modules are great. I will be following along with interest.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  10:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Ronald! Working with Martin you will have lots of trees and grass.

I too follow Harold's website and his 55n3 information was great. Just for clarification, Harold's last name is Minkwitz but he uses the contraction minky for e-mail.
http://www.55n3.org/

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Edited by - mabloodhound on 07/30/2013 7:05:36 PM

Ronald Halma
Section Hand

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  11:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ronald Halma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Yes, Martin has a fine wood workshop, and his work is of high quality.

Here you see both moules bolted together in my living room. You also see that we still have a little toddler in our home. It's our grandchild that lives with us. Keeps you young!

The layout;

The building at right will be build by my wife. It is the Lacy hotel that was there in that timeperiod. There are no photo's of the real thing but we found one on the site of Bernard Kempinski:

And the layout from another angle, it also gives away what I will build:

I have no trackplan but this is part of the inspiration; the layout of Thom Radice:

The track and turnouts will be build out of wood. As guide I use the templates of FastTracks:

So far for now. Tomorrow I show more of it!

Greetz, Ronald

Ronald Halma
Section Hand

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  11:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ronald Halma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Dave Mason; you are so right... he indeed uses that "alias". Thanks for pointing that out to me

Greetz, Ronald

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  12:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice carpentry on your modules, Ronald. I'm going to be following your work with interest.

George

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  2:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ronald,
I see you know about Bernie Kempinski and his CW layout.
Bernie is a great guy and if you need any information or measurements for that hotel or anything else, drop him an e-mail.
He will answer and help you in any way.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Ronald Halma
Section Hand

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  3:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ronald Halma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know Dave. He is in my Facebook and so now and then we have little contact. I also have to admit that the layout is further than showing here

To see what would look right I did a test with the ties. These are cut from basswood Martin had provided to me. I wanted the look of normal gauge so I made my ties a little wider:

There I determined the width, a little less than 2 inch (= 5 centimeters). So I had to cut a bunch, I do that with the NWSL cutter:

Tomorrow more of it!

Greetz, Ronald

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  3:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice job on the benchwork & cabinetry! Will follow along ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  3:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work so far Ronald! I'll be following along to see more.

Håkan

Ronald Halma
Section Hand

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  3:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ronald Halma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please do Dallas, you also did this scale and made my decision to build this easier. And on the way you will see some BV parts coming by

Greetz, Ronald

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  3:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ronald,

Modules look great, looking forward to reading about your thought process as the modules were built.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

hminky
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  6:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

Just for clarification, Harold's last name is Minkewitz

No, it is Minkwitz without O's, I's, E's or Y's between the Mink and the witz.

My great grandfather came over to avoid the draft in 1870's Prussia and was originally Von Minckwitz.

My mother always wished he had the foresight to change it to something more "anglo". Won't go into the ramifications of the name but no one spells or pronounces the name right anyway so no one need apologize.

Great modeling and makes writing on the web worthwhile. One modeler using an idea makes up for all the criticism of different ideas and there was a lot about 55n3.

Harold

Edited by - hminky on 07/30/2013 6:56:14 PM

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Need help on small layout design for 1880s Topic Next Topic: Passing of John Canfield  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000