Railroad Line Forums - Saccara Valley RR - module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Saccara Valley RR - module
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Logging Disconnects Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Porter Dead Rail Conversion
Page: of 8

lisican
Section Hand

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  5:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I've been following along on the site for a while, and I thought I'd share my current project.

The Saccara Valley RR is currently a 4' x 2' module. I built it to the CSCModOn30 standards, with hopes to one day meet up with them. It is set in southwest Arizona, the Sonoran Desert, in the 1910s. I've been admiring the work of others on the site, and I'm sure you'll see the influence.

The current layout is quite simple, a mainline with siding, a small station, and a corral. The track is all handlaid (my first major attempt at that), the structures are scratch built, and the scenery is largely carved foam covered in plaster gauze.

The station is built of foam core walls, covered in plaster. The trim is wood, and the roof and floor tiles are made from plastic sheet. I'll post more detailed pictures, including the interior, in the future. The structures were built before the layout, on hobby plywood. They are removable, and the edges of their bases haven't been blended in yet.

The corral, "Hell's Leap", is built of wood strips. The ramada still needs covering, and I plan to replace the rope pieces with some smaller thread.

There is still a lot of scenery work to do, more plants, more rocks, more cacti (made of self hardening clay), more details, etc. I'm considering reworking some of the large central hill/rock formation, as the upper right corner seems to sharp to have sand and dirt instead of a rock face.
Also, the backdrop is from my N scale layout. I'm using it here for the pictures, so please disregard any N scale building flats that may appear in the images... I also need to work on layering images to correct the focus issues, but these give an idea of what I'm working on.

Thanks for looking - Nick
The Saccara Valley Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40322
www.1223artistry.com

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  5:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome Nick, shure like to see more..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  6:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Nick, Thanks for posting and sharing some really neat work,
Looking forward to seeing more,

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  6:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Nick! I sure like what you posted.

Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Edited by - BigLars on 07/11/2013 6:59:15 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  8:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work and welcome!

Mike

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  8:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard from one reformed N scaler to another. I really like the wood color on the cow loader (whatever you call it) and the fact that you spiked every tie.

Bryan

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  9:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Nick....looking forward to more progress.

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  9:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really like the station that is unique.

Cameron

Mostro
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  9:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Nick!

I must say that I am enjoying these desert scenes more and more, along with the different styles that make them work. Nice job with the cacti and other flora, the stone culvert/bridge, the corral, and the station. I think you're spot on with bringing in more rock formations into the slope areas. Looking forward to seeing this develop!

Derick

"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  11:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that sure is impressive and I can't wait to see more.

And welcome to the forum Nick.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

lisican
Section Hand

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  12:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone!
I'll upload some closer detail pictures in the near future. The cow loader/corral is stained with a simple india ink/alcohol mix, the same for the ties. The stone bridge thing started life as an HO scale culvert from Woodland Scenics I think, that I tweaked into my small bridge thing. Bryan - I'd hardly say reformed N scaler, just a current O scaler. I grew up with N scale (and working on my dad's Lionel layout) and that layout is in a few pieces spread about the garage. One day the empire will return...

The Saccara Valley Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40322
www.1223artistry.com

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  01:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick,
There are a lot of former n scale folks that are part of this crew. Many are published n scalers. I will not call out names, but just know that for some reason the jump from N to ON30 is common.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  01:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard! Always a pleasure to see another modeler who's interested in desert scenes. Looks like your's is off to a good start!

on2rails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  10:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit on2rails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great work on this module. I surely can see the influence and that is a compliment for both sides.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  09:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick ... welcome aboard.

Nice scene and great work. Looking forward to more postings.

Tom M.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  11:01:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nick and welcome to the forums.
Thanks for showing us this module you've been working.
I like it a lot.

As you think, so will you be.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Logging Disconnects Topic Next Topic: Bachmann Porter Dead Rail Conversion  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000