Railroad Line Forums - The Deep River Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: ida ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Deep River Railroad
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Gorge and river vignette Topic Next Topic: Someday
Page: of 32

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  5:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I sometimes think I'm a Blithering Idiot .. or a Procrastinator. In truth - a Blithering Procrastinator is probably a good description. I've been piddling around and haven't done anything to my layout since the end of January. I was working on the corner where the 'L-shape' of the layout 'turns'. I've posted up on the DRRR Pier, the Vehicular Bridge, the HVCC Pump House, The L&CRR Plate Girder Bridge (now I suppose .. the DRRR bridge), , The Vehicular Bridge, The Coke Oven Bank .. and sundry other items all of which are part of what I call "my layout". In truth it is more of a diorama - originally made up a couple of On30 modules.

That trip down memory lane is to set up me kicking procrastination in the teeth and getting back to the layout. I just did a quick dusting of the 'water', cleaned off the major junk and intend to 'get back to it'.

The 'corner'. Oh ok. Now I remember ... I stopped everything to work on the groundwork to support the bents .. and got busy with other things. The On18 trestle is propped up with one bent .. the others are waiting for .. well .. a place to go. sheesh.

Huh. Got angel hair to create the water running off the dam .. on a shelf. Have the turbine that will go outside the pump house .. ready. I 3D printed it .. so it's basically a kit .. (insert sheesh #2)

Man. I got started on the larry track that runs on top of the ovens .. that's also sitting on a shelf .. (insert sheesh #3)

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  7:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed,
It looks great!

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  7:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's it Ed, strike while the motovation is upon you and go for it. It looks great you just need the finishing touches.

Mark

W,L,&E

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  8:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, what you have done is first rate!

Mike

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  5:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the things I wanted for the On18 trestle in the corner was that the bridge removeable so that I could have access behind it to do scenery etc.

To that end I drilled a 1/8" hole and then used a X-Acto blade to chamfer (countersink) the top to accept a #4 wood screw. The plan is that this will allow the screw to secure to a 1/4" timber on the abutment seat. The second part of the plan is to glue the timber to the seat .. and theoretically allowing the bridge to be removed/secured. The problem is I am leaning across 'stuff' more or less balancing on one hand while spinning a plate on a stick while trying to screw the darn thing down .. see how well THAT goes.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  6:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ed, how about drilling a hole and cementing a tube in place about the size of the screw or a pin that way you could lifr it out without having to detatch it.

Mark

W,L,&E

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  6:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBLmber

Hey Ed, how about drilling a hole and cementing a tube in place about the size of the screw or a pin that way you could lifr it out without having to detatch it.

Mark

Hmmmmm. That would work .. and be easier to do. The only problem I see is that it would basically sit on the pins .. and I might have problems with it shaking/keeping track aligned. Huh. Will consider that idea though.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  8:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ed, I sent you a PM, I have some more ideas that would easier to explain to you verbaly.

Mark

W,L,&E

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  8:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope this helps. I have multiple projects going too. What I do is First pick the biggest bottle neck and at least do a little on it. Then I do whats looks the easiest. Just my 2 cts.

Oh! and everything is looking fabulous. I know I want to see that turbine installed.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Edited by - railman28 on 06/12/2013 8:58:42 PM

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  07:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno Ed.....no one else on the forum gets out of sync.....;-)
Hang in, it will get back into swing....

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  2:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I glued the 1/4" square wood dowel (12" sq. beams) on top of the abutment seats last night and screwed the trestle deck to them today. Now .. I can start fitting the bents.

I REALLY need to get a smaller camera for shots like this - one of the small point and shoot cameras like a Nikon Coolpix. Trying to wrangle my DSLR into this position sucked! You can see the #4 screw I used to 'mount' the trestle deck.

Tried taking this shot with my iPhone.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  3:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've done a darn fine job of kicking yerself in the butt here! Glad to see the new progress ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  6:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dallas, appreciate that. Funny how the photo taken "up close and personal" .. makes it (the trestle) look big. Well .. ummm .. 19" long .. is that big? Don't think so .. in 'real life' that would be ... uhhh .. ummm ... 76ft. Cool though .. taking a pic from that angle.

anyhoo. #1 (left) bent is gluing up ..

teaspoon
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  11:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed, It is nice to see some progress. The trestle will look great when finished. Someday I hope to build a model of a log flume, which will require a lot of trestle bents, but right now, I seem to be stuck in the mud. I need one of those kicks in the pants.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  07:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rollin, rollin, rollin ... keep it rollin!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  07:42:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Ed, lots of progress done on the modules since the last time I saw it in NC. The bridge looks great, glad to see you working on the layout again.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: Gorge and river vignette Topic Next Topic: Someday  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000