Railroad Line Forums - Moonshine Still
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 126 ]  [ Total: 135 ]  [ Newest Member: C430 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Moonshine Still
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Making Metal Look Like Wood Topic Next Topic: Rolling your own
Page: of 4

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  10:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
can you tell me the use of the bath in the vinegar ?

Generally folks use vinegar as a mild acid to both clean and to also lightly etch metal surfaces.

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  10:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting story, Joe. My mother had two uncles that served time in GA for their entrepreneurial exploits in moonshine. She said when they got out it was the only time they had new suits. Of course, it was the depression and they had families to feed.

I have a tongue in cheek business on my layout, on a branch line, a still run by Ethan and Oliver...Eth-N-Ol's Alternative Fuels...

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  10:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DJ,
Check with your local jeweler for some Blacken-it. It is used a lot in the jewelery trade and is known by different product names. The stuff he sells you may actually be a bit stronger than the Blacken-it product. I have started obtaining my from a local jeweler who sells it to me by the little Blacken-it bottle which he refills. Last time was $5 so about the same cost as Blacken-it.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  11:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that is one fine looking still and clever idea. Nice work!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

djdutch
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  12:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank mwbpequod did it have to be the natural or the cleaning vinegar ?

and KP thanks for the tip of the jeweler, do you know where they use it for ?

DJ

jbolen61
New Hire

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  3:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep an eye out fur them dang revanoorers.Dont need tem blowing up yur ner still.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  6:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Mike.

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  8:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
Thanks again for looking and the comments. This little guy does have a place designated. Give me a few days and I will post the placement.
I started to use vinegar a year ago when I did the SS LTD machine builds. The blacken it was just not cutting it. I leave castings in for 20 minutes, they would turn black but when I dried everything off the black would rub off on the rag and I'd end up with bright metal. So somewhere in the back of my mind I remembered reading that after you wash, give castings a soak in vinegar, so I did. After that when I soaked in blacken it, the finish was darker and would not rub off when dried. Yes Vinegar is a mild acid and it etches things. I do save my used blacken it and strain out the residue. Interestingly when I use it, on some castings they come out with a reddish/rust tint. That's what happened on the barrel.
I just want to add, the company who makes these can use our support. A husband and wife team bought it in January and are developing a lot of new things for "N" and HO scale. Check out their stuff. Talked to them today on the phone and are really nice people.
Mike M

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  8:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oops forgot the toilet tank question
I was at ALL Electronics in Van Nuys Ca a month ago and they had these small plastic "tubs" for sale, 10 for a buck. The bigger ones (3"x4 1/2") are designed to hold medicines. I know that because they have old prescriptions stuck to the bottom ,just missing the snap top. . The smaller ones (3" x 3") look like the ones they use to dole out medicine when you are in the hospital.
Mike M

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  8:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yikes, I was really tired when I posted that toilet tank question!
Plastic medicine tubs eh? Sorry...

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  9:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would not neo-lube work in place of the blacken-it?

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  9:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a neat build. I see "Popcorn" in the third of of your original still photos. One of the most famous moon-shiners. I think he would be proud. John

GULF COAST & WESTERN

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  7:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
so who or which company makers moonshiner figures in HO scale?
Thank you
Mike M

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  7:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
I believe Neo Lube is a coating that does blacken metals. Blacken-It is a chemical that caused the metal to change color. It's not supposed to coat. The use of the vinegar as an etching material allows the blacken-it to go deeper..
Mike M

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  7:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
so this is the scene I'm going to modify to turn it into a moonshiners paradise.

As pretty as it is, wanted to make it more interesting. So here it is cleaned up a bit.

And this is the area I'm going to turn into the shiners paradise.

I want it to look something like this.

Mike M

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Making Metal Look Like Wood Topic Next Topic: Rolling your own  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000