Railroad Line Forums - Moonshine Still
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: walkerci ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Moonshine Still
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Making Metal Look Like Wood Topic Next Topic: Rolling your own
Page: of 4

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  7:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
I have had a hankering for months to build a moonshine still and was going to model it after ones in these pictures.
All the kits available looked way to toy like so I was going have to go scratch.

Than one day while scouring ebay I found this. There are from Century Foundry Metal Works by showcase miniatures

The still body and spout are so similar to the ones in the pictures I bought two.

Nice clean castings with very little flash and nice cast details.

Mike M

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  7:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cleaned up a bit of flash here and there and gave all the parts except the 3 jug castings a was in vinegar for 5 minutes.

Download Attachment: IMG_3013.JPG
52.24 KB

Than a soak in Blacken It. Interestingly, the main body and barrel casting turned a different color than the other castings, Maybe a different metal content. I liked how the barrel came out.

Assembled the body and spout and stuck to a dowel for painting.

I wanted to get an aged copper pot look so I lightly hit it with Floquil Copper

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  7:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Drilled out the holes in the body with a #72 bit so that the small pins on the legs would sink and allow them to sit flush against the still body walls.

wrapped the copper wire supplied around a 1/16" bit. Drilled out the spout with the #72 bit so that the wire would sink in a bit.

Mike M

ak-milw
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  7:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ak-milw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great find, nice looking model

Andy Kramer -- Modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  7:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
No plans supplied and assembly instructions are basically nil. So I cut the barrel support wood in quarters and free handed the diagonal cross. After attaching the barrel, it sat to high off the ground so I shortened the legs a bit. I left the barrel the color it ended after the blacken It. I painted the valve/spigot on the barrel with Floquil bronze.

stuck the jugs to some dowels for painting.And of course one jug immediately flies from my fingers. Down to two.

Mike M

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  7:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Better picture of the finished still

Mike M

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  8:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it

Bryan

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  8:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an informative build. Thank you. This is a timely thread as well.

I hope you don't mind a quick, related, story. I've been debating a relatively small switching railroad in the near future and I have a few ideas. One scene would include a still ... to honor my grandmother. Nana was from south Philly (Philadelphia, PA for the uninformed). In her youth, which would have been the late 1920s by my reckoning, she had a "guy" friend who would take her for car rides in to south Jersey near where I currently live. Why? Because he'd have to go check on his still and he was less likely to get pulled over with a woman in the car. Nan was in on it. She knew what he was doing. I am unclear as to whether this guy was running the alcohol back to the city or if he was just checking that operations were in order. It may seem like a not so nice way to remember my grandmother but it was who nan was ... and pop's scene ... well, they both had interesting lives.

Good job. Again, thank you.

Joe <><

JeffB
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  9:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I like it. I was planning a similar kind of thing in a secluded area of my layout. What scale is that?

Jeff Betcher

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  10:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great, I'm also curious as to the scale.

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  10:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good looking and unique model, Mike.

It just happens that I a taste of moonshine, imported from West Virginia, this weekend. I can still see to type this, so it was OK.

George

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  10:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
Thank you for the comments. HO scale
One of the moonshiners came back to check the still. Gives you an idea of scale now.

Mike M

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  05:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool little build. It will look good put into a scene.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  07:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Nice build, I also need a still on my RR so I will bookmark your thread. Thanks for posting. Larry

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  08:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike,

Nice job, cool project.

Was that vinegar bath for the castings... inside an upside down porcelain top of a toilet tank?

Sure looks like it, I've put a few of those in!

djdutch
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  09:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey Mike I like the Moonshine still I rememeber a diorama someone made and name it: The family buisness.

can you tell me the use of the bath in the vinegar ? I like the blacken it but unfurtunately I can't get the stuff over here and haven't find an replacement for it jet

DJ

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Making Metal Look Like Wood Topic Next Topic: Rolling your own  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000