Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 184 ]  [ Total: 190 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

hunteman
New Hire

Posted - 11/18/2013 :  9:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The front and rear lights with the foam partitions provide terrific lighting on the RR and the backdrop.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  12:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Havent been on the forum for a long while. Just like to say this layout is looking fantastic. Keep up the good work.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  04:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys,
Its been a busy week or so but finally got to do some more work on the layout.I have been trying to get up to my grandfathers shop to get more wood to make the ties for the turntable. I have been looking at the prices of dimensional lumber and its too expensive for me seeing over the next year or so I may need a lot of it.
So I thought about cutting it my self. I have a 15 y/o table saw that has seen better days and I have been looking for a newer one for a long time. I was out at Lowes the other day and they had the New Kobalt table saw. It was reasonable so I figured I would try it out. While I was there I bought a 60 tooth finishing blade.
I brought it home and set it up. I made a new Zero clearance throat plate for it so I could cut really thing wood. I had some Cedar to try it out with .It cuts wood very nicely

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 11/26/2013 08:32:37 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  08:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice !!!

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  5:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was going to post more pic's but got running late for work this morning...

I cut all my ties for the turntable and dyed them with a alcohol/shoe polish mixture. I let then dry and then I used wood glue and glued them to the previously marked positions. I had also prebent the rail I was going to use. I then spiked it all in place. One piece of rail was not long enough to go all the way around. So i did have a shorter piece. I added an extra tie at the two places it joins and it matched up perfectly..

Ty

Yes I know the ties look a little tall. But I had to custom fit them so the track would meet with the upper deck correctly. This area will be back filled with ground cover later...

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  11:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Works for me.

Frank

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  6:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks impressive to me. Finding this inspiring that may result in a large scale layout.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  07:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys...

Next I went and cut the timber for the retaining wall. After it was cut I roughed all the pieces up with 36 grit sand paper. I then colored them with the alcohol and shoe polish. first I did it with
black and after it was dry. I did it with Brown.

Here are the pieces still wet.

They lighten up when dry..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  07:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Next I figured how high I needed the wall to be. I made spacers to raise the wall to the correct height. Once in place I stared laying the timbers and gluing them down with wood glue.

hunteman
New Hire

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  11:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The retaining wall looks really great. I have been looking for some approach that gives the weathered creosote look. You really captured the look and feel. I am preparing to start on a Chama coaling tower but delaying to find a stain approach that gives the weathered appearance. Thanks for the hint and the inspiration.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  12:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When you are using the the shoe polish and alcohol mixture you should play with the ratio. It can get too dark quick. Also roughing up the wood helps with the wood accepting the stain. The wood was only in the mix for about a minute..
I am also using a cedar that is really light in color

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  12:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When you are using the the shoe polish and alcohol mixture you should play with the ratio. It can get too dark quick. Also roughing up the wood helps with the wood accepting the stain. The wood was only in the mix for about a minute..
I am also using a cedar that is really light in color

hunteman
New Hire

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  10:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice. BTW, how long is your turntable? Can it hold a K-37?

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  11:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The largest think I have is the 3 truck shay and it is about 30" the turntable 31".

Ty

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  4:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the journey continues...

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000