Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 246 ]  [ Total: 249 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/14/2013 :  9:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The turnouts From Switckhey are really nice. I bought the weathered rail turnouts. They are werthered with a dark charcoal color rail. Bruce at Switchcrafters said that looks like the rail near where he lives. I just like the rusted look . So I masked off all the turnouts and hit them with a little rust color..

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 07/14/2013 9:15:31 PM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  08:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow,
Its hard to believe that it has been 2 months since my last update. I have been really busy with family stuff and catching up on orders for my plane stuff.
When I ordered the Spider Bearing from Pacific Coast Garden Railway Supply. I had asked them about there Turntable also. They said they had a 9 month waiting list. So I had planned on doing the work myself.
Then I was looking through Garden Railway Magazine and found an add for Fall Creek Railroad Structures. I was just needing a turntable and they usually just sell turntable and pit together. I talked them into building just the turntable. It took about 6 weeks but when I got it in i am very pleased.
I ordered it unstained so I could weather it myself. Here are a couple pic's of the turntable..

Ty

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 09/29/2013 08:06:25 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  10:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, that's a great looking turntable and those switches really look like they have smooth transitions. What # is that long one?

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/29/2013 10:23:42 AM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/29/2013 :  1:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The long one is SwitchCrafter's #6 turnout. They are really nice and work very well so far. http://www.switchcrafters.com/
They are very reasonable in price to be hand made...

Ty

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  09:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am trying to get all the track laid so the next thing to go in is the turntable itself. So when I received the turntable it was prewired for me because I am using DCC. It had 2 lead soldered to the rails and cam off the bottom of the turntable but they were to the side. To make the turntable able to fully rotate I needed to get the wires down through the pivot point.

The Spider bearing had a brass plate with a centering tube all ready in place. Inside it was another tube that ties the turntable and the bearing together. I soldered the tube that ties them together into the brass plate . I then drilled holes into the tube to allow the wires to go in and out the bottom of the tube...

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  10:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, go to battery power and leave the wiring to someone else!

Frank

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  8:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank,
I really wish I had gone battery power. But I am just Too much invested in Dcc to turn back now. I have a small fortune in decoders installed..

Ty

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  03:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I Have been working on cutting the benchwork for the turntable. I added 1 inch to the diameter to allow for the retaining wall on the inside of the pit. First I marked the area and then cut it out with a skill saw.
I then went back and added 2 layers of 3/4" ply to the area...

Ty

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  10:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, I like the idea of having the turntable partially off the layout. Itís a huge space saver and it's easier to get to for those armstrong models.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/02/2013 10:03:40 AM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  10:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got that idea from ya'll at SD. It does save a lot of space. Real estate gets eaten up quickly in this scale...

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  03:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Next I added the floor. Once floor was in i was able to figure how much I need to raise the turntable to make it level with the rest of the track.

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  05:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't get over how nice that turntable looks.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  09:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a fine looking turntable.
And I also like how it extends from the edge of the layout.
Very nicely done.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  4:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well engineered table.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  05:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks For the comments. Fall Creek did a really nice job on the turntable.

To get the turntable to the correct elevation to match the rest of the lay out I had to add a 1/2 foam circle and then a 1/4" piece of plywood.

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000