Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 235 ]  [ Total: 237 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  10:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/16/2016 :  5:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ray,
Well I got to piddling with the idea of more ore cars. And of course you can't get anymore from Western Scale Models. So I decided to make my own. Yes you can get some from Ozark Miniatures but at $33 each. I can make my own..
As y'all probably have figured out i am not a rivet counter. So I looked around the internet for different types of ore cars. I ran across a drawing for a wood ore car. I have not seen one of those done. So i figured I would give it a go.

Last night i started with the wheel. I took an old 25 gallon barrel that I cast and it was slightly over size of what i needed. I chucked it up in the lathe and produced 1 wheel. It turned out pretty good. I made a master mold of this and then cast more . I will make a second mold of 4, so i can do 4 at a time...

My first picture id very blurry...

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  01:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't wait for the finished product.

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  07:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ty, you may not be a rivet counter but your work is excellent. It has been fun following along.

Thanks for sharing
TomO

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  8:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for the comments.

Here is the body of the car all framed up ready to cast...

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 12/17/2016 8:08:20 PM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  8:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is the second ones out of the mold. When casting real wood if I don't seal it, all the trash ends up in the mold. So the first one cast pulls all the trash from the mold.

I did put rivets on the body and I cast the door separate,so it will be functional. I use pins for the hinges

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2016 :  11:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice molding and casting work!

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/24/2016 :  10:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ray,

Here is the frame and the wheels ready to mold.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2016 :  11:45:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, you're the best. Really nice ore cars.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/25/2016 11:45:39 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/25/2016 :  11:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I marvel at you guys casting your own stuff. Incredible!

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/25/2016 :  12:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys ..Hope y'all are having a Merry Christmas.. Here is the finished product...

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2016 :  8:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, that looks like a commercially-made kit!

What gauge track will it run on?

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  08:47:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ray.
I have been really busy this past week. I finished my last week at work and i am now officially retired...Yeah...

The wheels are set 11/16" apart and I am using ho rail . It could be placed on larger rail..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  08:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is the first one painted. As always you have to wash the castings and then I primed them with a ruddy red primer. I painted the wood with a desert sand acrylic and them used chalks the darken the colors. Then went back with a rusty rail color. For the metal parts. Once dry dry brushed with a Barnwood acrylic.
Hopefully giving it the crimey look of use in a mine..

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2017 :  09:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Nice !!!, both the model and the coloring.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000