Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 233 ]  [ Total: 237 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2015 :  10:44:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/25/2015 :  3:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2015 :  10:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
, defenitely jealous modelers on the forum'.....
EXCELLENT' WORK SHOP. The natural light from the windows and door is just great....Nice job'

Ted

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/27/2015 :  11:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ted,
Now I can sit and watch the backyard while working on things. I had 23 deer in the backyard a week or so ago ...
looking out the back window..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/27/2015 :  11:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well when I built the new room on I took out the window to make the door. My layout track ran just below that window and I was no sure how I would make it easy the make a lift out section.
Well I did some figuring and this is what I came up with.
My layout is 41" off the floor the new door is 32" wide. This allowed me to make a swing down section. I made the break a few inches back from the door on the dropping side and about 1/2" back on the other side. I took the solid piece that was there before and cut it to the correct size. I put 2 hinges on the dropping side .
On the other end I added 2 pieces of hardwood about 3/4" thick that stuck past the end about 4"and about 2" apart. I then placed a piece of wood the same thickness in the center of the permanent piece. and add another swivel piece on top of the center piece.this allowed me to bring up the drop down and lock it in place with the swivel.. I added the track and secured it in place. I added wiring from the main line to the drop down piece. It takes about 2 seconds to swing it up or down no rail joiners needed.

Maybe the picture will explain better than me..

I still have the secure the wire and make it look better..

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/27/2015 :  7:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ghollieee, that's one heafty swing bridge Sar-gent.

Frank

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  01:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clever!

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  5:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Ok guys don't mind my mess, But actually its pretty clean since I moved everything into my new shop area. The only things left in here are the layout and storage above. Of course when I had all this new open room I have to add another loop to the layout.. So here is a pic before I get started..

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 07/06/2015 5:42:24 PM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  5:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am bringing down a loop into the middle of the room. I think it will work out OK.. There will be a 9ft diameter curve at the end.

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 07/06/2015 5:48:16 PM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  10:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All Of my Bench work is done around a L shaped beam. Here are some pic's from my new loop I am now constructing. I take 2- 1"x4"x12' Boards and glue/screw them together in an L shape. .I then either make legs for them or I use Cabinets. as my Base. I found these cabinets at the Restore for storage.
I place them side by side. I join the cabinets with a 2"x4"x 12' board along the front. I then add the L Beam screwed to the back of the 2x4.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  12:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice! That'll give you plenty of neat, efficient storage. But what will it cause any problems when you're wiring the layout?

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  6:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ray,
I will have room for the wiring below the risers. I added all the risers next. My layout out base will set on top of the risers. On the curved section I used a string to set my risers to the radius I am needed.

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 07/08/2015 6:35:19 PM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  08:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok Guys I have really been busy this week. My wife is out of country on a missions trip . I usually take vacation while she is gone to get a couple this done that I could not other wise.
The curved section is going to have a trestle area and also a small creek/river on the other end. I needed a depressed area to do the trestle in. So I took the same string that I was doing my radius with any attached a string with a weight on the end. I used this to set the lower risers with .

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  08:08:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I then went back and took 1/2" partical board and cut it to make my sub road bed.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  8:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well the next thing was to draw out the radius on the layout so I could cut the temporary pieces for trestle area.So I took my string and a pencil and started drawing out the curves. One problem I had was I am gong from a 9' diameter to a 8' diameter. The problem is making that curve transition. So here is how I did it.
Where the curve was to start the transition I came out from the pivot point and add a nail that the string would hit . I moved the nail until it reduced the curve to fit the area. Then I added another nail further out to make the curve even tighter. by doing this I had a nice even line all the way around the curve.

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000