Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 262 ]  [ Total: 266 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0
Page: of 36

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  12:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys,
Mike the door was sanded off very slowly with a dremel tool. I made sure i had a good casting first of the door. This whole boiler use to be Hydrocal but they have since gone to resin. With a dremel tool and a I used a 1/8" grinding bit and I started cutting a little at a time. Once I was close I finished it off with 220 grit paper. I then traced the door in the normal location and then I cut about 1/32 inside the lines..I used a drill bit to drill through the 1/2 " resin in the four corners and then drilled holes all the way around inside the lines. then used my grinding tool to connect the holes. I finished it of the a Popsicle stick with 220 grit paper glued to it..

I then drill out the viewing hole in the door. very carefully... I then took a brass tube the same size of the hole and sharpened it from the outside to the inside edge. I put this in a drill and used this to cut out the clear plastic to make my viewing hole glass. I painted the plastic to simulate the metal in the viewing holes and then cut a piece of round toothpick to simulate the turning knob at the center..

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  12:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Lowell at Anvil Models was very helpful. I think if I had sent him drawings it may have been closer. We were trying to work with something "off the shelf drawing" I think the problem was I told him how long I needed it and he scale it to that length. Plus I gave him dimensions of windows I am using and they are pretty large.
But to answer your question. I'll probably scratch build most of the rest.
Lowell Told me the name of a guy who he had done several 1:20.3 kits for but can't remember his name.. The laser cutting work was great. I did have him cut the wall framing work but to make it look right for me I am going to have to add wood for make the thickness correct for a more scale look..

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  9:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is just some great looking work. I was thinking some real ash would look good in those ash pits.

Bill

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  08:21:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill,
Yeah, I have to add all that. The ash pit has not been permanently installed yet. I will add the ash and soot once it get the ground cover in placed around it.

Ty

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  4:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here are more pic's of the Boiler...

It is al but finished. I had to mount it to a base so I could install the piping.

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  6:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice boiler. The light adds an extra touch

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  12:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

One thing I've often wondered about these stationary boilers that are bricked in, is how they did inspection and maintenance? I know with steam locos, they have to keep an eye on the rivets and staybolts, and the tubes need replacing from time to time, etc. I'm assuming the stationary boilers would have needed the same kind of maintenance.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  08:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ray,
I believe that the that the tops were removable. The instructions said the top was made of asbestos covering. Here is a picture of a cutaway I found.

Here is the website I got it from. It has some good info...
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/43867/43867-h/43867-h.htm

hunteman
New Hire

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  12:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the tops of the boiler structure removable, what is the purpose of the brick enclosure? Is it just to provide some insulation to retain additional heat in the boilder?

nziainz
New Hire

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  06:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit nziainz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hunteman

With the tops of the boiler structure removable, what is the purpose of the brick enclosure? Is it just to provide some insulation to retain additional heat in the boilder?

I think you right in saying it will retain the heat, but I think they would have it around it for the same reason you have covered bridges. It is designed to protect the item underneath from weather and elements.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  06:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant workmanship on the boiler.
Hat off to you

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  09:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty,

Frank

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2014 :  12:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that link, the book has some good illustrations of boilers, traction engines and details.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  09:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.
Yes that website has some great info. I searched for a while and could not find any pic's of a real enclosed boiler.

nziainz
New Hire

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  06:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit nziainz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any updates?

Page: of 36 Previous Topic: Dead River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Upgrading my Big Hauler 4-6-0  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000