Railroad Line Forums - Large scale Indoor layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Large scale Indoor layout
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New Locomotives Topic Next Topic: Bugs! Slippery rails.
Page: of 35

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  11:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Before I started My Modular RR. I had started an HO layout in my basement. I did move along pretty well until I went to The Narrow Gauge convention in Hickory a year and half ago. I was bitten by the Large Scale bug again. Since then I have done a little here and there but not a whole lot of work.
Now that have the Modular pretty far along. I really don't have anywhere to run my locomotives unless I am at a show. Its been bugging me for a while. So I decided to tear out the HO layout and start me a "small" Large Scale layout. Here is where it all starts....

Pic's of what is being removed...

I had alot of it in some stage of scenery:

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  12:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For Sale: fire wood.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  12:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am not really good with track plans and I post asking for help on the design forum but no such luck. I want to get the most bang for the buck when it come to a small area.. Anyway here is what I have come up with....

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  12:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Where it comes off each end I do plan on having a loop that runs around my shop. But it will not have any scenery . I will only need one small lift out area to make it work. I think.....

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  1:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be watching !!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  1:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Landrel, are you planning on keeping the benchwork , but scrapping the track and scenery that's on it?

Mark

W,L,&E

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  1:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok Here is my clean slate:

I was able to remove everything over the past week and I went and bought some cabinet quality plywood. I installed it over the bare bench work.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  1:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, Saved all the bench work. I did email Frank last week about turntable plans. He pointed me in the right direction. I did borrow the idea of offset turntable from the SC guys. That design allows you to save room and still have a working turntable. I settled on an all flat surface due to this being mostly a Yard area. Any elevation will be done with foam and I may scallop the front edges in places for depressions.

Ty

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  3:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty,

Don't be chicken. You have to go with code 250 track, hand laid or commercial it doesn't matter, just drop that 332 stuff. You'll like the difference. This is a nice and clean indoor layout.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  5:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry Frank I just ordered 196 ft of Code 250 track today. I figured up 100 ft on the table. (rough guess) and then another 60 ft for the loop. that leaves me some for waist and miscalculation.

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  7:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am also ordering My Turnouts. I just have not brought myself to building my own. I was recommended to Switchcrafters: http://www.switchcrafters.com/

They actually build your turnout when you order them and they are really reasonably priced. The owner is Bruce Milligan. He is nice to talk to and he even sent me drawings for each turnout I was interested in. I did go to my local print shop and had copies made so I could try the turnouts in place to help with selection of which turnouts I would need.

The plan I came up with will need 7 turnouts.
And two of them are curved.

Here is a pic of the drawings..

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  7:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Llagas Creek switches were a chore.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2013 :  02:55:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  09:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
sorry double post

Edited by - fockewulf37 on 05/18/2013 09:19:41 AM

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  09:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well I have been collecting parts for the layout.
I have gotten my code 250 ties and rail in. I also bought a spider bearing for my turntable from Pacific Coast Garden Railway Supply. It is really nice and well worth the money. It would have taken me forever to make one. I thought about their turntable also but it would be on a waiting list. It seems they are very busy.

Ty

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  4:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ty, the spider bearing is a thing of beauty. You'll be glad you spent the money, it's worth every penny.

Page: of 35 Previous Topic: New Locomotives Topic Next Topic: Bugs! Slippery rails.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000