Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Other uses for Campbell shingles? Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR
Page: of 25

GrandTrunk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/15/2013 :  8:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>>I was exposed to quite a bit of MEK back in the day when I was in the Air Force.

Back in the day I worked for a few months in a wallpaper factory. The solvent for the ink is MEK, and when it was time to change colours we'd wash all the print rollers and ink trays using big buckets of MEK and rags. Gallons of the stuff slopping all over the place. One of the older guys who worked there had shaking hands and twitches and odd behaviour.... hmmm....

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  07:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R.BOUDREAUX

Hey, Karl,

Have not heard from you lately.

How is everything? Good, I hope.

I am anxious to see the progress on the tenements.

Rich

Hi Rich,

We're OK...thanks for asking.

I've got a lot done on the second tenement but it took me about a week to get the 52 windows and doors installed and glazed.

Also, this stuff really works - absolutely no bleed through of paint.

These photos were shot with new hot lights so the color balance is a bit chippy. The first, third and last photos are the correct color.

Thanks to the folks checking in on this...

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  07:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Creek and Western

Mr. Osolinski-
The second photo in this series shows an inexplicable appearance by Froggy the Gremlin. Obviously, you are a man of discernment, a man after my own heart!
(I still have mine too.)

-Dave

Hi Dave,

Yep, I love me some Froggy. I got mine when I was 5 years old...some 60+ years ago and he's still in fine shape. Your Froggy is a dandy!

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  07:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl:

The structures look great. Up to your usual quality. Keep em coming. Can't wait to se em finished.

Karl S .

R.BOUDREAUX
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  08:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Karl,

That looks real good. 65 windows would slow me down too, arthuritis or not.

Rich

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  09:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the frog! So cool. I can't help but think "if that frog could talk" ... but maybe I don't want to know.

Any way, I was thinking about the frog tape this morning. I saw a commercial for it the other night and told my wife we are getting it before our next room paint (which is coming up in a week or two). It didn't dawn on me until my ride in to work this morning that it may have some hobby uses. Think I'll pick up a roll on the way home tonight.

Oh, and yeah the buildings look great. Very convincing.

Joe <><

teejay
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  10:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good , Karl ....Earl Smallshaw was one of my two favourite modelers from back in the day ( the other was Jack Work ) Sorry to hear of your health issues but your progress is outstanding even if it is slower .

Teejay

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  10:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Karl --

The structures look great!

Question about Frog Tape, which I haven't seen before: if you use it, can you skip the step of spraying with Dullcote after masking?

Looks like I might get my license back. If so, I'll def come visit for an hour or three.

Don

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  6:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking great Karl!

Cheers, Mark.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  8:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl did you tape the whole side with that tape and make one complete peel down the building???

An is that siding scribed board??

Just one more question did you use rubber cement to do the peeling??

Just your usual excellent work.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 05/16/2013 8:07:15 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  9:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the Micro Mark #10105 diamond tip scriber.

Karl,

Is this the only tool that you would recommend to scribe the glass sheets? I ran across some cheaper substitutes online, but Micro Mark is currently out of stock with that item. I was thinking I would try to use some scribers I have that were part of some beading (jewelry tools), to see if they would work.
I like the brickwork on the second building. You certainly capture what actual brick looks like in your modeling. Very nice!

Rich

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  10:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The finishes on those buildings are looking GREAT!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  11:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teejay

Looking good , Karl ....Earl Smallshaw was one of my two favourite modelers from back in the day ( the other was Jack Work ) Sorry to hear of your health issues but your progress is outstanding even if it is slower .

Teejay

Hey T,

So good to hear from you...

I agree...Jack Work's models were wonderful...I've been looking at his small bridge for years and still don't have the onions to build it...

Maybe some day...

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  11:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AVRR-PA

Hi, Karl --

The structures look great!

Question about Frog Tape, which I haven't seen before: if you use it, can you skip the step of spraying with Dullcote after masking?

Looks like I might get my license back. If so, I'll def come visit for an hour or three.

Don

Hey Don,

Nope, no need for the Dullcote spray before painting...the Frog Tape is amazing - it seals the paint-line perfectly with no bleed-through at all.

Good to hear you're getting your license back...come on over!
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2013 :  11:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

I use the Micro Mark #10105 diamond tip scriber.

Karl,

Is this the only tool that you would recommend to scribe the glass sheets? I ran across some cheaper substitutes online, but Micro Mark is currently out of stock with that item. I was thinking I would try to use some scribers I have that were part of some beading (jewelry tools), to see if they would work.
I like the brickwork on the second building. You certainly capture what actual brick looks like in your modeling. Very nice!

Rich

Hi Rich,

The simplest way is to just break a Dremel standard cut-off disc in half and scribe the glass with the broken edge of the disc. I did it for years and it works just fine...use only the thin discs not the heavy, fiberglass re-inforced ones.

Karl O.
Berkley, Mi

Page: of 25 Previous Topic: Other uses for Campbell shingles? Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000