Railroad Line Forums - Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tenement Row by Smallshaw
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Other uses for Campbell shingles? Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR
Page: of 25

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  2:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Karl,
As always...a great build so far.
Sorry to hear of your trouble with the hands.
I too, have been having some trouble, sometimes in grasping small objects or holding a piece in my left hand, tightly, my fingers lock-up. Then, I have to shake my hand and relax a few minutes, then it's ok.
What are you cutting the glass with for your windows/ I have tried a small glass cutter, and it will not scribe a scratch in the glass at all. Do I use a light oil?, because I didn't.
I also like the color of your building against the brick facade.
I will be following along.
Rich

Hi Rich,

Sorry for the late reply. We are out of the dark ages getting rid of our dial-up and going to high speed internet but there are always problems when you change stuff and it took some time to get it all working right.

Anyway, glass cutters are too agressive to cut microscope cover slips. I use the Micro Mark #10105 diamond tip scriber. One light pass against a thin Incra metal rule and the glass is cut. Also, you don't need any oil...it would be a mess to get off the thin glass slips.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  2:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by postalkarl

Hi Buddy:

It's me again with a PS:

Are the lentils and sills from Monster Models Or scratch from wood?

Karl S.

Hey Karl,

The lintel and sill are part of the window casting - Grandt Line #5154 masonry window.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

MedCityBob
Section Hand

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  10:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl: What are Your thoughts on the Canon Powershot SX20 ...or, are You strictly a Nikon man ?
Thanks ! Best Wishes, MedCityBob

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  10:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Thanks for the information on cutting the glass. I have put the (Micro Mark #10105 diamond tip scriber), on my wish list.
On another "note", I have not forgotten to send your package, just wondering what to put in it..
...this week...for sure..!
Many thanks,
Rich

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  11:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl. The cover of the MR is a classic. I remember the first time I saw it and ripped the pages out and saved them.

Nice to see the photo again of the boys and the lounge room.

I'll be lurking , so don't think many of us are not watching the progress.
Can only imagine what the finished preject will be with the combination of structures.

cheers mate and big hug to Janice

"M"

Web Site 2018
http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_miniatures_2017.html

The Bob
New Hire

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  3:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Bob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I recall, many moons ago there was a line of structure kits for tenement row house rears. It was only the rear wall and details, intended to mount against the backdrop as a scenic feature. (The idea being that most urban scenes face away from the tracks.) That always struck me as a brilliant concept, and I am wondering if anyone knows who made those, and whatever became of them?

The Bob

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  7:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MedCityBob

Karl: What are Your thoughts on the Canon Powershot SX20 ...or, are You strictly a Nikon man ?
Thanks ! Best Wishes, MedCityBob

Hi Bob,

Yep, I guess I'm kind of a Nikon guy...been 54 years since I got my first Nikon SP in 1959.

But, I still use a 6 year old Sony DSC-R1 for my model photos. It has a DX size sensor, movable focus point (for using Helicon) and a tiltable LCD. It just works for me and I don't like change all that much at this point in my life. Hell, we just got rid of our 11 year old dial-up internet a week ago.

About the Canon...I believe the SX20IS (12.1MP,28-560 zoom) came out in 2009 replacing the SX10IS. The SX30IS (14.1MP, 24-840 zoom) is the replacement for the SX20, I think. If it does what you need to do and the price is right, what the heck? Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Samsung, Panasonic, Leica (if you're a zillionaire) - whatever, I've never had one I didn't like.

It's not the camera - it's the person using it.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  7:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k27rgs

Karl. The cover of the MR is a classic. I remember the first time I saw it and ripped the pages out and saved them.

Nice to see the photo again of the boys and the lounge room.

I'll be lurking , so don't think many of us are not watching the progress.
Can only imagine what the finished preject will be with the combination of structures.

cheers mate and big hug to Janice

"M"

Hi Mario,

Good to hear from you...I figure on 6 months to build the scene. Things just take a lot longer to do now. Earl's model is just so good.

I've been cutting window and door openings on the second building and there are a lot of them...can only do a few at a time.

It's always gratifying to hear from folks and their interest in what I'm doing. Thanks, and Janice got your big hug.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  8:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl, good to see your work and your photography.

Nikon guy here too, only 45 years, tho, first was an "F". Today it's a D-90 I've had for nearly 4 years and still learning what it will do.

Stand UP for AMERICA!!

Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway
Sunfield Township Michigan

Edited by - k9wrangler on 04/06/2013 8:24:28 PM

stockjunkie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  08:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit stockjunkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi karl,

The building looks great. Thare is an HOn3 modeler named Steve Harris who lives near San Diego. He has a monthly ops session and alot of guys show up. He has a beautiful layout, we do show and tell and just BS. Jimmy from Monster Works shows up often, and he has alot of new and great looking products.

However, this is the first time Ive seen his bricks colored...and they look so amazing. Can you give a brief tutorial on how and what you used to color the bricks? I think you have just nailed the coloring, I see hints of orange and red in there. If I didnt know better, I would swear thats a photo of real brick. Sorry to hear about the hands, this getting old thing does suck. JD.

R.BOUDREAUX
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  10:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Osolinski

[quote]Originally posted by jknapp
I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and my fingers are pointing in all the wrong directions...they're starting to look like basswood that's been soaked in too much A/I.

John, I'm not being a smart-ass, but it's very hard to do things. What really pisses me off is that I can't even form a chord on my banjo or guitar...something that I've done for over 50 years.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

Karl,

I have heard years ago that some fellow, I can't remember who, used to spray WD-40 on his hands to combat arthuritis(sp). I know this sounds kinda goofy, but it may help.

Rich

smason2
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2013 :  9:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Scott

R.BOUDREAUX
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  07:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

Anymore progress on the tenements?

I was very interested in seeing your build, but this article seems to be fading away.

Rich

smason2
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  08:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Scott

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2013 :  08:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smason2

Hi!

Scott

Wow you sure do have a way with words!!!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 25 Previous Topic: Other uses for Campbell shingles? Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000